Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday we rode down to Long Point, Ontario to check out the beach. As it turns out it's quite nice, and the water was surprisingly clean for Lake Erie!

Not sure how many of you ride to the beach for proper beach days (several hours in the sun instead of just cruising the strip), but here's how we do it.

Using my 55 litre Ventura Euro pack, we load up 4 towels, 1 sheet, 2 pairs of sandals (wrapped in grocery bags), sunglasses, hats, a cooler bag with 6 waters and an ice pack, a container of chips (gotta keep the electrolytes up when sweating all day), sunscreen and baby wipes (for sunscreen cleanup), 2 large garbage bags and kickstand plates. Usually we wear our bathing suits under our riding gear, but sometimes they go in the pack too.

When we get there, our gear goes into one garbage bag, the Ventura pack into the other. This is a key step because it keeps sand out of everything!

Then we set everything up. We each down one bottle of water, then fill it from the lake to use on the corners of the sheet if it's a windy day. In this photo we had sandals doing the job temporarily. Then we sunscreen up, stand around or go for a walk to let it set in, then chill on the beach for a few hours.

That's how we do it, beach days with the bikes. :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How does the Ventura pack ride with the FZ 09? I have the luggage, just no mounting bars for this bike.
It works well. With it turned forward when heavily packed it doesn't make it feel sketchy in the front or anything. It would be nice if the pack rack were about 2" lower so the Euro pack sat right on the seat though. I'll likely make some kind of pad for the seat to support the bag for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
That is interesting way to get to the beach. Not sure I would go through all that though. But I live in Florida, about 20 minutes from the Atlantic, so....

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is interesting way to get to the beach. Not sure I would go through all that though. But I live in Florida, about 20 minutes from the Atlantic, so....
It's not as bad as it sounds. All of that stuff would be packed in a car anyway to head to the beach, minus the garbage bags. Our closest good beach is about one hour away on the bikes, an hour and 20 minutes in the car. LOL

Nice rack. On the bike!
I loved the Ventura set ups I've had dearly. Ugly as sin, but useful to no end!
I agree the don't look the best, but definitely the price and the bag options are great. I often wish for locking luggage though.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I grew up in South Florida and I could never see taking a motorcycle to the beach mainly because you need to transport your beach umbrella. That being said I hope I never see a beach again for as long as I live, so the idea of traveling a distance just to get to one blows my mind =P

·
Registered
957 Posts
LOL... we're on the opposite end of the spectrum. We're trying to find a way to move to Florida. ;)
I grew up in a part of SoFla where I was never more than 10 minutes from a beach. And that was about all there was to do that didn't cost ridiculous amounts of $$$. So it got old by the time I was like... 8 years old. Plus I just don't do well in direct sunlight.

Going to the beach where I lived wasn't something people really did for fun or entertainment. It was just what they do when they wanted to get out of the house and were too broke to do anything that might cost money.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I can understand it being something you would get sick of. Kind of like winter in Canada. We're sick of spending half of the year waiting for summer.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Come in on a raft and don't say anything in English when they pick you up----happens every day down here in South Florida!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I grew up in South Florida and I could never see taking a motorcycle to the beach mainly because you need to transport your beach umbrella. That being said I hope I never see a beach again for as long as I live, so the idea of traveling a distance just to get to one blows my mind =P
Haha, I know what you mean. I live about 5 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico (nicest beaches in the country IMO) and I pretty much never go to the beach (as in park my vehicle and get out in the sand and water). I do like to take a ride down to Gulf Shores/Fort Morgan to enjoy the scenery but I have no desire to actually get in the sand or water. It is nice to be able to ride all year, but it's extremely hot and humid for a majority of the year and I always wear full gear so I am a sweaty mess after I arrive where ever I'm going.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts