Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The only thing I can figure here is that he wanted too much "stuff" on his handlebars and cut off the "unnecessary" elements.

I love the bar end mirrors, since I already have a set on my ZR-7. They're great - they don't move or vibrate. They stay where you put them. But they suck for trailering the bike, which is going to happen with this bike on occasion.
Secondly, I don't like the hand guards. Not my thing personally. But the turn signals are included on the hand guards and the stock signals are gone. The holes where the stock signals were also remain open
So I've bought a set of integrated turn signal mirrors (at Motorcycle Superstore) that look somewhat similar to stock, and a set of black (even the lenses appear to be black) "flush mount" turn signals (from Cycle Gear) that I think will block off the stock holes nicely. My plan is to have the mirrors as the turn signals and the original turn signal spots as running lights.

Has anyone else tried this? Think my plans will work?

Also, the headers on this nice new Yoshimura full system kinda look like crap. I've washed the bike and sponged them off, and it's not coming off. I'm scared to say it's rust, but....I tend to think it could be rust. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well, it could be worse. I just bougt a new 2015 and have spent around $1000 if not more on mods and equipment so far. See if this will work in the interim http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Motorcycle-Aluminum-Handlebar-Mirror/dp/B00AA7OFLI . As to the pipes have you tried kerosene (on cool pipes of course)? and is it just a slip on or a full set? Re-chrome, high temp black paint or wraps are an option but you could get a used set of headers from someone who has changed out their stock set ( if yours is a slip-on).

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work, hook the flush mounts up to the running light wire and ground and the mirror lights up to the signal wire and ground. Easy peasy. I just don't know if the running light would stay on during the turn signal, my guess is it would turn off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
funny, I saw those on eBay and wondered if they'd work, and considered that option with an aftermarket reservoir. I figured I'd just spend a wee bit more and buy a new reservoir and cut out the clutter.
As to the pipes have you tried kerosene (on cool pipes of course)? and is it just a slip on or a full set? Re-chrome, high temp black paint or wraps are an option but you could get a used set of headers from someone who has changed out their stock set ( if yours is a slip-on).
No I haven't tried that, but it's an option! Since I still need to get the bike registered, I've got the time to try it, and it is a Yoshimura full system. I'm thinking about getting some black header wrap and trying that option. What a shame that would be though. It's an almost brand new bike with an $800 exhaust system, and the thought of it being rust sucks as much or more than the thought of covering up those potentially pretty bronze colored headers.

·
Super Moderator
4,377 Posts
You'll work through it.
But what a drag the Yosh may be showing signs of rust.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You mentioned your husband had a grin after the test ride. Are you sure the problems aren't the wait to register getting to you?
If you went to sleep twice and made them long hours the time will pass by unnoticed.
My day today was interesting. I rode to anime north event in my usual wolverine jacket and did far too many wheelies and tire spin chirps. I'm old but like my fz09 funtime. KINDLE_CAMERA_1430408679000.jpg
That anime crowd was thousands and most costumed to some extent. The fz09 is big but easily manhandled like anime characters wield oversized weapons and do amazing stunts.

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also just now thought about Bar Keepers Friend. I swear by that stuff for cleaning stainless steel.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I also just now thought about Bar Keepers Friend. I swear by that stuff for cleaning stainless steel.

I've heard Rust Never Sleeps, but isn't it also only skin deep......????

May the force be with you trying to remove it.:cool:

Reactions: MrsZR7

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Also, the headers on this nice new Yoshimura full system kinda look like crap. I've washed the bike and sponged them off, and it's not coming off. I'm scared to say it's rust, but....I tend to think it could be rust. Any thoughts on that?
I had rust on my SV650's triple tree and I used this product and it looked awesome. Also used it on the SV's chrome handlebar...stuff works really good. Saw it on Jay Leno's Garage and decided to give it a whirl.

Try it on an inconspicuous place first

Quick-Glo.jpg

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I had rust on my SV650's triple tree and I used this product and it looked awesome. Also used it on the SV's chrome handlebar...stuff works really good. Saw it on Jay Leno's Garage and decided to give it a whirl.

View attachment 17023
Ever use it on a car..??? Water spots on cars in South Florida is terrible.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If it a full Yoshimura system, the header should be stainless steel. My guess is the PO got some wet dirt on the pipes and kept riding it, which baked the crud onto the pipes. Unfortunately it won't easily wash off, but you should be able to polish them clean and get them back to looking good.

Some elbow grease and some good chrome polish should get it all shiny again. If it it really baked on, beware using a metal brush to clean off the pipes. If you use a metal brush, small particles of metal can get imbedded into the stainless steel. The metal particles will then rust and make you pipes look like crap again. So you need to use a soft stainless steel brush, or something even softer like a brass of copper brush. If it is a hard stainless brush, you could scratch it up a lot. The scratches can also hold onto road grime and again, lots bad again.

Here is a link to the drriders website where guys have cleaned up the muddy pipe look. The DR's come with a crappy powder coating that is bad for trapping mud and making that nice baked on mud look.

Polishing the stock Header : General DR650 Discussion - Page 2

And to trailer the bike, these work great when you don't have a good spot to hook the tie down strap hooks too on the bars.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/ancra-soft-hook-tie-down-extensions

·
Registered
4,444 Posts

The only thing I can figure here is that he wanted too much "stuff" on his handlebars and cut off the "unnecessary" elements.
I get a feeling he cut it off to move in the throttle tube so it didn't bind on the hand guard end bar mount? All I can say here is the guy is a bit of a bonehead for doing that. A simple bar end spacer would have worked just as well.

Maybe there is a fellow member who has upgraded their master cylinder and has the OEM one they can sell?

Or 2014 Yamaha FZ09 (FZ09ER) Front Master Cylinder | YamahaPartsPitstop.com

Reactions: MrsZR7

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He advertised the bike with a "brake reservoir relocation kit". If this is what he meant...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
He advertised the bike with a "brake reservoir relocation kit". If this is what he meant...

If that's what he meant, that sure is ghetto. I'd imagine he was referring to removing the rear passenger pegs and putting a plate on something like this photo-- 20150524_200213.jpg

·
Registered
260 Posts

View attachment 17023
Back when I was the shop squirrel at the local Yamaha dealer in the late 60s, I used that stuff to clean up rusted rims on used bikes. It worked incredibly well. As time passed, the product disappeared. I also rediscovered it via Jay Leno's Garage. The new owner of the formula reintroduced Quick Glo original. A finer grit product was also brought to market for softer metals.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It looks like the aftermarket bar couldn't handle all the stiff, or he cut it too short or something. Factory bar is gray colored, and tapered.

Tell midget I'm sorry... Bike looked clean in the advertisement!

I've got a spare set of block off adapters for the front turn signal holes if you want them. If the flush mounts don't work, these make it so you can use a regular stalk signal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It looks like the aftermarket bar couldn't handle all the stiff, or he cut it too short or something. Factory bar is gray colored, and tapered.

Tell midget I'm sorry... Bike looked clean in the advertisement!

I've got a spare set of block off adapters for the front turn signal holes if you want them. If the flush mounts don't work, these make it so you can use a regular stalk signal.
It's all good! I still think we got a decent deal on it - 200 miles, full Yoshimura system, power commander, Sargent seat, fender eliminator, levers..... That stuff alone is worth the frustration, and we're hoping he could use the hand guards on his new bike.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts