Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2020 mt09 6 days ago, finally got to ride it after work and took a dive on my first day. I was doing great for about an hour and surprised myself. Thought i had the hang of it then made a move that would’ve guaranteed me a million views. Made a smooth u-turn, pulled on the throttle and next thing i know, i’m headed for a ditch and a wired cow post. The bike lurched forward and like the absolute rookie that i am (first bike), the momentum kept me pulling the throttle. I rodeoed it all the way into a ditch and a cattle fence (wood&wire). literally, with one hand on throttle and left hand in the air and didn’t come close to 8 seconds. A coolass harley rider luckily was driving by with his wife and saw me on the side, bike stuck in fence and me in the ditch with a very bruised ego, busted bike and busted shin. without any hesitation, he helped me out of the ditch. he chilled and shot the shit with me to make sure i was all good. i was still a little shaky so he disconnected all my loose pieces, put me in shotgun with his wife to ride me home while he followed on my bike. he even offered to help me garage fix it. i can’t begin to express how cool that was. i hit him off some dough through cash app asap cause he didn’t have to do shit. He said that i would need new forks, module, headlight fairing and front tire fairing, which he suggested i delete anyway. i deleted the front of the bike so i guess i was steps ahead of his suggestion tho. im a first time rider, this is my first forum post (ever). he suggested i get on one to get some ideas. headlights still work, gas tank has a small dent and bike still rides fine minus the bars being slightly cocked to the side. i have enclosed photos. looking for help and any ideas. please!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Takes a lot of guts Manning up to your mistake and telling everyone on an open forum ! Kudos to you and this may help other new riders think twice about beginner bikes .

That being said glad your ok and welcome to the forum . I’m sure there’s some ppl on here who can point you in the right direction for the rebuild

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Super nice of the guy and his wife.

Not to lecture when it's the last thing in the world you need, however, the MT-09 should never be a first bike. Lack of experience is why you held the throttle open instead of backing off. The -09 is way to powerful to make those kinds of mistakes on. Even though you bought it, crashed it and get to fix it, you still should look for a more conservative starter bike. Seriously, the MT-07 is too much bike for you. Go back to an MT when you have a lot more time and miles in the saddle. You are very lucky to still have the chance to make that change. Don't make the same mistake twice. It could well be your last one. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Glad you’re alright! Everyone makes mistakes. Time to rebuild.

Those headlights are pricey brand new so you’re better off finding a used one. Not sure if they’re easy to come by so you may want to do like an LED pod setup in the meantime. I wouldn’t just delete the front fender with the radiator being right there. Partzilla.com has a replacement along with any other little parts you may need. TST Industries even has a carbon fiber front fender for $200. Can you tell that the forks are bent? Hard to tell in the picture. That and the tank is what will cost you the most.

Do you have insurance on it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. to make it worst, i had the bike turned down all the way and i was pretty conservative with the bike while riding. but honestly, i don’t think it was the bike. i felt pretty comfortable on it for my first ride. i think it was a situation that i was too inexperienced to get out of effectively.i think that it would’ve happened to me on any bike. it was such a rookie move 😩
Takes a lot of guts Manning up to your mistake and telling everyone on an open forum ! Kudos to you and this may help other new riders think twice about beginner bikes .

That being said glad your ok and welcome to the forum . I’m sure there’s some ppl on here who can point you in the right direction for the rebuild

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don’t mind the lecture. i was definitely put in check today. the entire time that was at the shop considering the purchase, nobody warned me away from the bike. even knowing i was a virgin. it was only until after i made the purchase and waiting on delivery that i saw videos of people saying the same thing you’re saying. lucky is right. i’m glad i bought all the right gear and didn’t touch the bike until i had everything
Super nice of the guy and his wife.

Not to lecture when it's the last thing in the world you need, however, the MT-09 should never be a first bike. Lack of experience is why you held the throttle open instead of backing off. The -09 is way to powerful to make those kinds of mistakes on. Even though you bought it, crashed it and get to fix it, you still should look for a more conservative starter bike. Seriously, the MT-07 is too much bike for you. Go back to an MT when you have a lot more time and miles in the saddle. You are very lucky to still have the chance to make that change. Don't make the same mistake twice. It could well be your last one. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i got insurance but i don’t want to use it so damn soon. to me, the forks look fine but the dude said i might need it. the headlight works fine. the handle bars aren’t all the way straight

Those headlights are pricey brand new so you’re better off finding a used one. Not sure if they’re easy to come by so you may want to do like an LED pod setup in the meantime. I wouldn’t just delete the front fender with the radiator being right there. Partzilla.com has a replacement along with any other little parts you may need. TST Industries even has a carbon fiber front fender for $200. Can you tell that the forks are bent? Hard to tell in the picture. That and the tank is what will cost you the most.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Main thing is your OK...the bike can be fixed! And as mentioned above, those parts unfortunately are rather expensive! You may want to consider trying to source parts from a salvager if cost is an issue...2017 up to the 2020 are the same. If you truly are new to riding as in absolutely zero experience including off road then you will make rookie mistakes and the mt09 or anything high performance is not the bike to make those mistakes on!

Here is my advice coming from a rider with over 50 years on the road and several years off road before that. Get yourself something that is used, light, and MUCH less power. One that comes to mind is the Kawasaki 250 ninja. MUCH easier to learn on, and, much safer for a new rider and it will make the learning curve a hell of a lot more fun! They can be found used for not a lot of money. For a new rider that bike is quite entertaining and really is all you need! Not suggesting you part with the mt09...just get something else to learn on.

It really is unfortunate that your introduction to this great sport/hobby ended up the way it did. If you go about learning the right way, believe me you will be rewarded with some outstanding rides and great memories!
Take er easy....Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can’t blame it on anybody though. i did not do my research
i don’t mind the lecture. i was definitely put in check today. the entire time that was at the shop considering the purchase, nobody warned me away from the bike. even knowing i was a virgin. it was only until after i made the purchase and waiting on delivery that i saw videos of people saying the same thing you’re saying. lucky is right. i’m glad i bought all the right gear and didn’t touch the bike until i had everything

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the shout and the advice. i will definitely take a different route but the bike still has to be paid off.
Main thing is your OK...the bike can be fixed! And as mentioned above, those parts unfortunately are rather expensive! You may want to consider trying to source parts from a salvager if cost is an issue...2017 up to the 2020 are the same. If you truly are new to riding as in absolutely zero experience including off road then you will make rookie mistakes and the mt09 is not the bike to make those mistakes on!

Here is my advice coming from a rider with over 50 years on the road and several years off road before that. Get yourself something that is used, light, and MUCH less power. One that comes to mind is the Kawasaki 250 ninja. MUCH easier to learn on, and, much safer for a new rider and it will make the learning curve a hell of a lot more fun and safer! They can be found used for not a lot of money. For a new rider that bike is quite entertaining and really is all you need! Not suggesting you part with the mt09...just get something else to learn on.

It really is unfortunate that your introduction to this great sport/hobby ended up the way it did. If you go about learning the right way, believe me you will be rewarded with some outstanding rides and great memories!
Take er easy....Dan
Main thing is your OK...the bike can be fixed! And as mentioned above, those parts unfortunately are rather expensive! You may want to consider trying to source parts from a salvager if cost is an issue...2017 up to the 2020 are the same. If you truly are new to riding as in absolutely zero experience including off road then you will make rookie mistakes and the mt09 is not the bike to make those mistakes on!

Here is my advice coming from a rider with over 50 years on the road and several years off road before that. Get yourself something that is used, light, and MUCH less power. One that comes to mind is the Kawasaki 250 ninja. MUCH easier to learn on, and, much safer for a new rider and it will make the learning curve a hell of a lot more fun and safer! They can be found used for not a lot of money. For a new rider that bike is quite entertaining and really is all you need!

Take er easy....Dan

·
Registered
348 Posts
I feel bad for you. It sounds like the guy that helped you out has experience working on bikes so he might be right about the forks. If you crashed hard enough to bend forks then I'd say you have to worry about triple clamps as they are pretty fragile. I know this from totalling an XSR900. I'm guessing as you are a new rider, you have very little or no experience working on motorcycles. Putting a front end together is not an easy project for an experienced back yard mechanic. Get the bike to someone that can tell you whether the forks are trashed and if they are, call your insurance agent asap and get it totaled. There's too many things that can be bad and you don't have the experience to even know if the bike is right after it's repaired. I just looked up the forks on Partzilla and they are $544 each side. Gotta be easy over 3 K to have someone fix it. Do it quickly as your insurance company will try to pay you less every day that goes by. They are not your friend.

I'd guess that most people here have owned other bikes before getting a Yamaha triple. In my opinion, a 115 HP bike is pretty insane when you think about it. People with experience tend to forget that. These bikes are faster than 95% of all vehicles that you'll ever encounter on the road. Today, I had some kid on a sport bike ride up next to me going towards the ramp to get on the highway. He was all racey and pegged it before going into the big sweeping ramp. I caught him in an instant on the ramp and was within 25 - 30 feet behind him and he was all over the place. He didn't know how to ride a bike in the turn but of course when the road straightened out he was up to almost 120. Just because you can write the check doesn't mean you can cash it. I'm not belittling you, the only way to get experience is to do it. I think that a bike with a lot less HP is much safer way to learn. The MT 09 does everything well but if you don't know how to counter steer or trail brake, you got a lot to learn. Just grabbing the brakes in a panic situation is not second nature until you get some seat time. Trying to do that on a bike that will probably do a sub 11 second quarter mile might not be the wisest choice. In fact, my guess is that on say an MT 07 you might have a lot more fun as it too does everything well but in a more manageable way. Whatever happens... let us know how you resolve it and good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i definitely will let you guys know what i do. hopefully when i get the bike checked out, it won’t be too bad. the guy that helped me out today lives close by, fortunately. he said the same things all of you have said about the bike and it’s power. but he did offer to help me learn. it sounds like i jumped in the deep end.
I feel bad for you. It sounds like the guy that helped you out has experience working on bikes so he might be right about the forks. If you crashed hard enough to bend forks then I'd say you have to worry about triple clamps as they are pretty fragile. I know this from totalling an XSR900. I'm guessing as you are a new rider, you have very little or no experience working on motorcycles. Putting a front end together is not an easy project for an experienced back yard mechanic. Get the bike to someone that can tell you whether the forks are trashed and if they are, call your insurance agent asap and get it totaled. There's too many things that can be bad and you don't have the experience to even know if the bike is right after it's repaired. I just looked up the forks on Partzilla and they are $544 each side. Gotta be easy over 3 K to have someone fix it. Do it quickly as your insurance company will try to pay you less every day that goes by. They are not your friend.

I'd guess that most people here have owned other bikes before getting a Yamaha triple. In my opinion, a 115 HP bike is pretty insane when you think about it. People with experience tend to forget that. These bikes are faster than 95% of all vehicles that you'll ever encounter on the road. Today, I had some kid on a sport bike ride up next to me going towards the ramp to get on the highway. He was all racey and pegged it before going into the big sweeping ramp. I caught him in an instant on the ramp and was within 25 - 30 feet behind him and he was all over the place. He didn't know how to ride a bike in the turn but of course when the road straightened out he was up to almost 120. Just because you can write the check doesn't mean you can cash it. I'm not belittling you, the only way to get experience is to do it. I think that a bike with a lot less HP is much safer way to learn. The MT 09 does everything well but if you don't know how to counter steer or trail brake, you got a lot to learn. Just grabbing the brakes in a panic situation is not second nature until you get some seat time. Trying to do that on a bike that will probably do a sub 11 second quarter mile might not be the wisest choice. In fact, my guess is that on say an MT 07 you might have a lot more fun as it too does everything well but in a more manageable way. Whatever happens... let us know how you resolve it and good luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
bro, i'm telling you right now. call your insurance, make a claim, like the other guy said, insurance people are not your friend. have a claim with the insurance. im guessing you have full coverage so get it resolved and paid off. dont even bother fixing the mt09 you don't need that bike for a very long time. buy yourself a used sv650 or ktm 390 or r3 even the mt07 might be a little much for you. these mt09 are twitchy as hell, you have to be extra smooth and i doubt that you know this bike's miniscule throttles sweet spot considering you only had this bike for about a week. learn throttle control on an easier lighter bike. you are very lucky to be alive.

to make you feel better. i started on an 2009 r6 which was not advisable but thats what i did. for about a year i was riding around very cautious. luckily i survived that one year and i took my ass to the track because i knew i wanted to do trackdays because i had a few friend that were track riders. luckily nothing happened on the track for about a year and i learned a lot even though i was the slowest person there. but it taught me how to look into and around the corner and learn more about throttle control. my mistake was after a year of riding in the track and street for 2 years i got cocky and i thought i was fast and i crashed riding on the streets. i was gunning it when i came up on top of a hill and i was going fast not knowing there was a puddle of water at the bottom of that hill. by the time i realized there was water there, it was too late. i hit that puddle of water and my bike got loose and fell on my left side. the bike and i skidded for about 50 feet on the road. luckily no one was there and i hit no one and i was wear full leather track gear. i was not hurt but my whole left body was sore for about a week. i filed a claim with the insurance and they paid me off and i bought a used dedicated track bike.

the lesson there for me is even though you learned alot inside the track, do not get cocky, especially in the streets. i should have not been riding in a fast manner that day. in street rides, it should be a sunday relaxed type of ride. if i was riding relaxed and slow that day i would have spotted the puddle of water and i would have stopped in time. from now on i ride the street slow and easy. the only time i test my limits is inside the track where there is an ambulance on stand by, and no car or truck claiming that they didn't see me and t-bone me, and no one would sue me if i hit them.

just to let you know how fast the mt09 is.

get rid of this bike. it is not for you. not for a very long time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
File an insurance claim and see where that takes you. That’s what you pay for insurance for.

I’m not going to jump on the “this bike isn’t for you” bandwagon. You are admittedly inexperienced and you got a big dose of whiskey throttle. That can happen on any bike if you don’t know what you are doing. Having said that, it happens a little faster on a powerful bike.

The MT09 is not a violent bike to ride. It’s powerful.. it’s fast. It’s not violent. It has a very linear power that can be ridden very tamely. You have a control in your right hand that allows it to behave however you want it to. The MT09 is easier to ride than many slower and heavier cruisers I have ridden simply because it handles, stops, and pulls so well.

You made a mistake as an inexperienced rider. I don’t think your mistake is the bike you bought but more of an overconfidence in your limited experience and ability. Take a rider safety course and learn to ride your bike. Learn the basics and you will be fine. Riding isn’t for everyone. If you don’t feel safe, you probably aren’t and should get off. It’s also not rocket science and if you apply yourself with a realistic and honest assessment of your own ability, you can do it safely.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate it. I’m leaning more to filing a claim as the hours go by. Im just a little uneasy about filing with just a permit. As far as the whiskey...I had too much, for sure. I didn’t get cocky with it,i respected my inexperience, but the bike didn’t do anything that scared me. It felt incredible while i was getting it, and doing pretty well with the balancing, shifting and turning. I recently learned how to drive big trucks and i’ve been driving for almost two years now. i know how to respect the machine i’m operating with care for myself, others and property. it felt really good to learn something new again. what has scared me the most, was my inability to react any differently and not even knowing for sure what i did wrong. besides maybe buying the wrong bike, like i’m sure someone will say to my question, i just wish that i could accurately visualize what i did wrong for future reference. i was easy on the throttle the entire day and did a bunch of u turns before the last one. i’m not even sure i completed a full u turn that time. i know i was attempting one, and almost done with the turn. the next thing i know, i hear the throttle, the bike pulls, i keep hearing the throttle with every jerk while going towards the ditch. i’m thankful that it wasn’t worse but i’m pissed that my brain didn’t even attempt a plan b. i didn’t think not once to pull brake, pull in the clutch or hit the kill switch. it’s like i willingly went along for the ride. that’s what pisses me off the most. it was a real virgin move with not enough seat time and it definitely brought down to size. i’m not at all scared to ride again because it felt incredible but i will concentrate on the basics in detail instead of trying to do everything all at once.
File an insurance claim and see where that takes you. That’s what you pay for insurance for.

I’m not going to jump on the “this bike isn’t for you” bandwagon. You are admittedly inexperienced and you got a big dose of whiskey throttle. That can happen on any bike if you don’t know what you are doing. Having said that, it happens a little faster on a powerful bike.

The MT09 is not a violent bike to ride. It’s powerful.. it’s fast. It’s not violent. It has a very linear power that can be ridden very tamely. You have a control in your right hand that allows it to behave however you want it to. The MT09 is easier to ride than many slower and heavier cruisers I have ridden simply because it handles, stops, and pulls so well.

You made a mistake as an inexperienced rider. I don’t think your mistake is the bike you bought but more of an overconfidence in your limited experience and ability. Take a rider safety course and learn to ride your bike. Learn the basics and you will be fine. Riding isn’t for everyone. If you don’t feel safe, you probably aren’t and should get off. It’s also not rocket science and if you apply yourself with a realistic and honest assessment of your own ability, you can do it safely.

Good luck and be safe.

Good luck and be safe.

Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I appreciate it. I’m leaning more to filing a claim as the hours go by. Im just a little uneasy about filing with just a permit. As far as the whiskey...I had too much, for sure. I didn’t get cocky with it,i respected my inexperience, but the bike didn’t do anything that scared me. It felt incredible while i was getting it, and doing pretty well with the balancing, shifting and turning. I recently learned how to drive big trucks and i’ve been driving for almost two years now. i know how to respect the machine i’m operating with care for myself, others and property. it felt really good to learn something new again. what has scared me the most, was my inability to react any differently and not even knowing for sure what i did wrong. besides maybe buying the wrong bike, like i’m sure someone will say to my question, i just wish that i could accurately visualize what i did wrong for future reference. i was easy on the throttle the entire day and did a bunch of u turns before the last one. i’m not even sure i completed a full u turn that time. i know i was attempting one, and almost done with the turn. the next thing i know, i hear the throttle, the bike pulls, i keep hearing the throttle with every jerk while going towards the ditch. i’m thankful that it wasn’t worse but i’m pissed that my brain didn’t even attempt a plan b. i didn’t think not once to pull brake, pull in the clutch or hit the kill switch. it’s like i willingly went along for the ride. that’s what pisses me off the most. it was a real virgin move with not enough seat time and it definitely brought down to size. i’m not at all scared to ride again because it felt incredible but i will concentrate on the basics in detail instead of trying to do everything all at once.
In the motorcycle safety course I was in they drilled into our heads you look where you want to go. You probably unconsciously looked at the ditch and thats why you went there. I grew up racing/riding dirt bikes and didn’t feel like I would take much away from the safety course, but I was wrong. It taught me quite a bit and I feel like a better rider because of it. Definitely recommend you take it when you can.

I agree with MX429 on the bike part. I’ve read and seen lots of videos where people started off on an FZ09 and they grew into it. I rode a Bolt for a year and just recently got my FZ09 and honestly I could’ve started out on it. It’s much easier to ride as far as low speed and city riding goes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
thats why i do the two finger clutch method that way i still have the other two fingers holding the handle bar and do that aswell for my right side braking hand. two finger braking. and you should lean forward a little and be lose with your hand, no death grip, that way if the bike throttles up or bucks you. you are able to buck with it and not grab full throttle making it worse. and the clutch is always your friend.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I like that you still want to ride and haven't been spooked by the crash.

Reactions: Rinterstate

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,012 Posts
Wow, so many questions for @1stRide1stCrash

• How old are you?
  • Have you ridden any motorcycles before this?
  • Have you taken any kind of rider training course?
  • Do you know how to countersteer?
  • Do you know what countersteering is?
  • What prompted you to start riding motorcycles?
  • How did you decide on the MT09?
  • Do you have full coverage insurance on it?
  • Do you intend to keep that screen name?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts