Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a letter in the mail the other day for the headlight recall. So I called my local shop to schedule an appointment. I also mentioned that I've herd that there is an ECU recall, and after giving them my VIN# they told me that I fall in the grope that is in the recall range. He told me they would order me the headlight fix, but for the ECU they will have a tech look at it and if he feels there is something wrong with it, then and only then, will they do something about it. Does this last part sound odd to you? I've never had a recall on a vehicle so I'm not sure if this is common practice or not.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Yes sounds odd. There will be nothing "wrong" with it. I'd get them to find the TSB for the ECU and show them that it "affects all 2014 FZ09s".

·
Registered
511 Posts
My dealer said they would do the reflash, no questions asked. I didn't even have the bike with me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, maybe that's what I'll do. Maybe I should give the other Yamaha dealer near me a call and see if they can do it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There is a difference in a recall and a technical service bulletin (TSB). The headlight is under a recall for safety reasons (hence why you received notice of it by mail) and the dealer must perform this fix. With a TSB, Yamaha just provides a suggested fix for issues that are commonly reported by owners and the dealer may choose to perform the fix if they determine that the customer's complaint is legit. The ECU reflash is not a recall, it's only a TSB. The way to approach it instead of saying "hey, I heard there was an ECU recall" would be to simply tell the dealer that you are having issues with the abrupt/choppy throttle (and maybe mention that you saw there was a TSB regarding this issue if they act clueless).

·
Registered
406 Posts
There is a difference between a Recall and a Technical Service Bulletin.

A Recall means the manufacturer is telling both the dealer and the customer that something must be changed on the bike.

A Technical Service Bulletin is something that is sent to dealers to help them deal with a problem that they either have encountered, or will be. There is nothing mandatory about a TSB, and it may be something that does not effect every bike. If the customer does not mention the issues that lead to the TSB then the dealer will want to verify it themselves. If they just used every TSB for every bike, they would run the risk of not being reimbursed by the manufacturer if it could be shown that it was unnecessary on certain bikes.

The headlight wiring is a Recall as it is a safety issue. The ECM reflash is a TSB as it is not something that bothers every owner.

Just go to the dealer and explain to them that at low speeds and small amount of throttle input the bike is very jerky and does not want to maintain a steady speed. This happens in 1st and 2nd gear. That is what they need to hear to match the TSB and should get you right in.

[edit] Tripleblaze beat me to it. LOL[/edit]

·
Banned
739 Posts
There is a picture of the service bulletin in another thread. Print it out. Getting both jobs done Tuesday. :) I showed my dealer a copy of TSB, he pulled out a notebook. said yes, that just came out and they could do both. So it seems you need a dealership that knows what's up.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There is a difference in a recall and a technical service bulletin (TSB). The headlight is under a recall for safety reasons (hence why you received notice of it by mail) and the dealer must perform this fix. With a TSB, Yamaha just provides a suggested fix for issues that are commonly reported by owners and the dealer may choose to perform the fix if they determine that the customer's complaint is legit. The ECU reflash is not a recall, it's only a TSB. The way to approach it instead of saying "hey, I heard there was an ECU recall" would be to simply tell the dealer that you are having issues with the abrupt/choppy throttle (and maybe mention that you saw there was a TSB regarding this issue if they act clueless).
The ECU issue is being treated by Yamaha in the same lame way as the YCCT Issue; Both are Not Recalls so the Stealership's are Not obligated to doing "anything" per the Customer Service Rep I spoke with at Yamaha USA a few weeks ago. Each Stealership can and will handle as They see fit...."they can charge for parts and labor" unless directed by Yamaha when handling a legitimate Recall.

Really sucks to see Yamaha back away from these two Problems with the (still) new FZ-09. :mad:

Many of you know I've been shopping for a second bike, and truth be told, Yamaha isn't even on my radar.

Reactions: cza888

·
Registered
106 Posts
Others have already said it, but the headlight issue is covered under recall. The ecu reprogram is a TSB (technical service bulletin) meaning it is not required by yamaha. If the ecu TSB is preformed it should not be covered by the customer, but by yamaha through your warranty. Symptoms of a bike needing the ecu reprogram include a lean surge in 1st and 2nd gear around 17 - about 38 mph if i remember correctly. The reprogram corrects the lean surge and smoothens out the throttle right off idle as well.

so, to say it again... The ecu reprogram is a TSB meaning the bulletin is only preformed if a customer comes in complaing of surging in 1st or 2nd OR if they are complaining about the abrupt throttle. So if you go into your dealer and say "hey, i heard there is a bulletin on my FZ-09 to reprogram the ecu. can i have that preformed?" the dealer might want to look into it further before saying "sure, we will get that done for you!". but if you go in saying you are feeling a lean surge in 1st and 2nd and the throttle is uncomfortably abrupt, then that should be all they need to get started on your bike. Plus, any dealer that turns down the work is stupid - its free money for them!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok i just found and read the TSB again. I guess it doesn't say anything about a "lean surge". Just that "The rider may experience a nonlinear transition between closed to 1/4 open throttle." "lean surge" is just a symptom the yamaha rep said a customer might come in complaining about in 1st and 2nd gear. I figrued i better clairify before anyone starts saying this bulleting says nothing about a lean surge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input guys! I guess I'll talk to the dealer some more when I drop the bike off and see what they can do about the ECU.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well, I got a letter in the mail the other day for the headlight recall. So I called my local shop to schedule an appointment. I also mentioned that I've herd that there is an ECU recall, and after giving them my VIN# they told me that I fall in the grope that is in the recall range. He told me they would order me the headlight fix, but for the ECU they will have a tech look at it and if he feels there is something wrong with it, then and only then, will they do something about it. Does this last part sound odd to you? I've never had a recall on a vehicle so I'm not sure if this is common practice or not.
So the (tech) will make the decision is what you're saying?... That pretty much says it all. Find a different dealership. Last time you checked, weren't (you) the owner of your 09? Shouldn't (your) word be enough? It's clear that TSB means optional - in regards to dealers performing work. That's pretty lame on Yamaha's part, to treat the ECU flash as a TSB. I doubt very much that Yamaha has absolutely no knowledge of these forums and what is being posted, by dare I say, thousands of owners. Pretty poor form IMO on Yamaha's part.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Turning the TSB into a recall would open Yamaha to sorts of liability. Owners could start claiming the non-linear throttle response was the cause of their crash. Or so I think Yamaha's lawyers advised.

Reactions: maryleejayne

·
Registered
177 Posts
Turning the TSB into a recall would open Yamaha to sorts of liability. Owners could start claiming the non-linear throttle response was the cause of their crash. Or so I think Yamaha's lawyers advised.
It's a matter of accountability - the level of accountability in the guise of a TSB is far less than a recall. By making this a TSB, they've transferred much of the accountability to their dealers.
It's the nature of how (some) dealers treat a TSB, (as optional on their part to take any action), is the problem I have. As the OP has posted, it's clear that this particular dealer would rather develop their own opinion of whether or not the OP's 09 (required) the flash. Why believe the person whose ridden the bike for (x) amount of time/miles?...

·
Registered
165 Posts
The TSB for the ECU reflash says to only apply it to owners that complain about the sharp throttle response. It's not a recall.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The TSB for the ECU reflash says to only apply it to owners that complain about the sharp throttle response. It's not a recall.
Rationalizing and hearing excuses for Yamaha doesn't negate The Fact that the FZ-09 shouldn't have been initially released Until the ECU was properly Programmed for Normal Street Riding....This is inexcusable. :cool:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Rationalizing and hearing excuses for Yamaha doesn't negate The Fact that the FZ-09 shouldn't have been initially released Until the ECU was properly Programmed for Normal Street Riding....This is inexcusable. :cool:

Who's ratiionalizing? For me, it was fine. The TSB says if the owner isn't happy we can offer him a softer throttle response. Nice to have the choice, I say.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Who's ratiionalizing? For me, it was fine. The TSB says if the owner isn't happy we can offer him a softer throttle response. Nice to have the choice, I say.
Apparently every dealership mentioned on This Forum is rationalizing. Seems like bad business and reflects poorly on Yamaha. I'd think twice (or more) with any new Yamaha...even the New R1 and R6. :cool:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have to be honest, I'm a bit deterred from buying another Yamaha. Even as sorted out as the R6 is. No offence to R6 owners here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
From the yamaha rep: The ecu is not and will not be covered/fixed with a recall. The bike was built/intended for experienced riders and they never thought they would get so many new riders purchasing them or so many riders complaining about the abrupt throttle. They figured a lot of riders would not mind the throttle and in fact there are a lot of people that like it like that. They made the ecu reprogram a TSB so YOU the rider can make the choice if you like it stock or if you want the throttle smoothed out. And honestly, does it REALLY matter if the ecu reprogram is taken care of with a recall or a TSB?? Both are preformed at no cost to you.

Recalls - technically should be preformed at the dealer before releasing the bike back to you.
TSB - essentially is just a product update that can be preformed IF you want it to be done. This is not decided by the tech/dealership. It is basically based off of your "feelings" if that makse sense as to how the bike handles to you in regards to the abrupt throttle. Therefore it is not something that is or can be measured or verified by someone else. For instance the customer might be a new rider and uncomfortable with the choppy throttle. Maybe the tech trying to decided if the bike needs the reprogram or not is an experienced rider and is used to the abrupt power/choppy throttle. In his opinion the bike might not qualify for the ecu reprogram then. But, the decision is not his or the dealerships. And again, any dealer that turns down preforming the TSB is not very smart and i would avoid them. Preforming the TSB is money for them!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts