Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I had my bike running today to make sure my battery was charged since i had on the electrics while i was installing my new turn signals. As some of you know i damaged my radiator when i went down a few weeks ago. I got everything back to normal, it just took a little bending and everything seems to be going good. I put more 50/50 in because i'm not much of a mixer. I think i put in a little too much its just above the "full" line and when i run it this happens:

If you can't see it, its steam coming out of a tube on the bottom of the bike. The steam smells of coolant

·
Registered
877 Posts
It could be the tube coming out of the overflow reservoir that is connected to the radiator.

Usually there is a small hose going from the filler neck of the radiator to an overflow / scavenge bottle.

The hose could be coming out of the reservoir as a breather.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be the tube coming out of the overflow reservoir that is connected to the radiator.

Usually there is a small hose going from the filler neck of the radiator to an overflow / scavenge bottle.

The hose could be coming out of the reservoir as a breather.
So it's probably because my radiator cap is still a little damaged creating suction up into the filler neck then overflowing down that tube. I'm not to concerned, but it definitely made me wonder.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
652 Posts
So it's probably because my radiator cap is still a little damaged creating suction up into the filler neck then overflowing down that tube. I'm not to concerned, but it definitely made me wonder.
It's unusual that it is steam,surely?
Is the radiator cap damaged to the extent that the system is not pressurising and the coolant is boiling?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's unusual that it is steam,surely?
Is the radiator cap damaged to the extent that the system is not pressurising and the coolant is boiling?
Yes, that's what I'm currently working to fix. I'm having difficulty getting a proper seal.

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is a great radiator shop here in Utah. The place is called Mylers and he is famous for what he can to damaged motorcycle radiators. I dont know how to post a link on my tablet, but a search will bring them right up. Usually same day service, too. My cost was rarely more than 75 except for the radiator I broke into two parts. No big deal on that one as it was only my crotch that did the damage.

Seriously, ther are masters at this. Yours should not be leaking, or steaming, at the cap.

Keep this in mind. These rads are easy to overfill. The full mark is just above the inner coils, not right to the brim. If overfilled, they will spit out fluid into the catch bottle. If the catch bottle is full, it can drop fluid from the overflow. That might be happening with your bike.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you over filled it then that is normal the extra fluid has to go somewhere. You also mentioned you could have a bad cap which also would cause the steam. The best solution get a new OEM CAP And make sure the fill neck is not tweaked which would cause the cap not to seat properly.

Reactions: Don.B

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, I do have a new radiator and cap assembly on back order so I'm trying to get what I have to work. I'm pretty sure I can get it to seal, I might try to find a similar cap. I highly doubt Yamaha designed a whole new cap just for this bike. But you never know.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Thanks everyone, I do have a new radiator and cap assembly on back order so I'm trying to get what I have to work. I'm pretty sure I can get it to seal, I might try to find a similar cap. I highly doubt Yamaha designed a whole new cap just for this bike. But you never know.
it's the same cap used on the fz1/6/8. you can tell by the part number - 4fl-12462. parts unique to the 09 start with 1rc, like the radiator itself (1rc-12461).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Info like that is exactly why I love this forum. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Roger

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe it or not...i was able to stop the issues. I used the two holes on either side and some bolts to get it down tight enough to stop leaking. I also used some vise grips, some large channel locks an O-ring and some metal files to get everything to match up...oh and a dremel on some of the washers so they fit perfectly.

The problem now is that the coolant seems to boil still...is that due to the seal not being perfect?

Is motorcycle coolant anything special? or is it the same stuff you put in your car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was told at a yamaha dealer to use motorcycle specific coolant. Due to something in auto coolant that will eat pump shafts and seals over time. I have no idea on truth of this thats just what they told me

·
Registered
354 Posts
2 things first make sure the coolant is for aluminum
And if you are mixing make sure you use distilled water not tap.
And don't mix the colored coolants. If you are testing your system just use distilled water it's a lot cheaper than coolant.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
2 things first make sure the coolant is for aluminum
And if you are mixing make sure you use distilled water not tap.
And don't mix the colored coolants. If you are testing your system just use distilled water it's a lot cheaper than coolant.
Thanks, thats good to know!

The problem I'm having now is it seems to boil now. Of course I'm testing by running the bike in place to see if everything works the way it's supposed to. The hottest it got was 228 after running for 30 minutes in a garage in about 75 degree weather(yes i know, i would much rather be riding.) Which isn't overheating, and it's gotten that hot before I had to do repairs while i was sitting in traffic.

I'm pretty sure that boiling coolant isn't the way things are supposed to be.

-z

·
Registered
354 Posts
225 is about the same as sitting at a red light in summer

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
225 is about the same as sitting at a red light in summer
My FZ6R hit that all the time when i was down in southern Mississippi last summer...never again.

Now the boiling?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts