Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start with a photo of my bike, because why not? :D Gave her a bit of a wash.

http://i.imgur.com/XdzV71T.jpg

I'm right at about 700 miles on it now, and I love it. I've got some small gripes, but nothing huge. This is my second bike; my first was a 2012 Ninja 650, which I still have and love.

As everyone seems to mention, the throttle is definitely touchy. It's much harder to control than my Ninja. I find that every single small bump in the road makes the bike jerk a bit.

With that said, I have been working on keeping just the right amount of grip on the throttle, and it's getting a lot better. When I ride the Ninja now, I feel like I have 100x the control I did before, which is awesome.

If I'm staying off the highway and riding on the city streets, I usually do B mode, although Standard is getting better each time I ride.

I've only been riding for about 8-9 months, and have had one crash on the Ninja. I laid it down going about 50, which sucked, but all I damaged was the front wheel, the handlebars, and the right fairings... nothing major at all.

This is more of a giant stream of consciousness more than anything else. I just wanted to talk about the bike and figured this was a good place to do it.

I haven't done any mods to the bike yet, but I think I'm going to send the ECU in to Stoltec next week. I hear that makes all the difference.

Thanks for listening to me rant. :D

Oh, and one last thing... my Ninja 650 feels like a goddamn turtle compared to the FZ-09. When I ride it, I swear it feels like I'm crawling. I love it.

:cool:

·
Registered
78 Posts
One thing I noticed on the touchy throttle subject is that I tend to keep my weight on the bars (forward riding position) and when I tighten my knees on the tank it becomes much more smooth as the tenstion is off my wrist. Don't know if it will work for u but just something to think about that helped me out

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I noticed on the touchy throttle subject is that I tend to keep my weight on the bars (forward riding position) and when I tighten my knees on the tank it becomes much more smooth as the tenstion is off my wrist. Don't know if it will work for u but just something to think about that helped me out
Great tip, man. I'm going out for a ride here soon and will try this out.

Now that I think about it, I am definitely keeping my weight on the bars. Someone mentioned a while back that the grip you keep on the throttle should be loose, and likened it to, "Shaking a baby's hand"

I've been keeping that in mind a lot, and it definitely helps. I'll know a rough patch of road is coming up, and if my grip is fairly loose, I don't anger the throttle as much, or at all.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks so much! :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nice photo of the bike. You must have been geared up properly to lay one down at 50 and only be mentioning some bike scratches. I dumped my CB750 going much slower and got my one and only ride in an ambulance. (1986)

Welcome.

I

·
Registered
128 Posts
One word ... Stoltec Flash!

Makes a world of difference in the throttle and "rideability" and eliminates that jerky throttle. I'm much more confident going through corners and getting on the throttle coming out of the curve than before. And you can take this as a pro or a con but I haven't had any accidental wheelies since the flash. Road bumps don't affect my throttle anymore either. A Mode all the time btw.

(yes I know that was two words)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice photo of the bike. You must have been geared up properly to lay one down at 50 and only be mentioning some bike scratches. I dumped my CB750 going much slower and got my one and only ride in an ambulance. (1986)

Welcome.

I
I had an armored textile jacket, my helmet, and some armored textile gloves.

The guy in front of me hit a deer, which sent the deer into my lane, still alive. He slammed on his brakes and the other side had oncoming traffic. I had nowhere to go and just hit the brakes. It was hit him, hit the deer, go into a ditch, hit traffic, or lay it down. I laid it down right at about 45-50 on my right leg. I slid a bit.

Adrenaline allowed me to basically rip myself out from under it while sliding and run along side with it. The whole thing was kind of amazing.

I felt fine until about 5 minutes later when I realized I could barely walk. The pain was nauseating.

I managed to not break anything, but my leg was black from top to bottom. They did some compartment syndrome test where they rammed a giant needle through my damn leg. It was pretty sweet.

:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One word ... Stoltec Flash!

Makes a world of difference in the throttle and "rideability" and eliminates that jerky throttle. I'm much more confident going through corners and getting on the throttle coming out of the curve than before. And you can take this as a pro or a con but I haven't had any accidental wheelies since the flash. Road bumps don't affect my throttle anymore either. A Mode all the time btw.

(yes I know that was two words)
I've only had two accidental wheelies, and they weren't even from bumps. I just gave it way too much throttle from a stop. :D

:)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The throttle and handlebars are control inputs. They are not for holding you onto the bike. You keep connected to the bike with your knees hugging the tank. The easiest way to hug the tank it to put the balls of your feet on the pegs and push down with about 5-10 lbs of force, more than just your foot sitting on the footpegs.

This small amount of pressure will push your knees into the tank and connect your body to the bike much better.

This allows you to keep a lighter grip on the throttle and therefore when the bike hits bumps you will not pivot as much on the bike causing your to twist the throttle on or off.

Make sure you reduce the slop in the throttle cable. The adjuster is in the throttle cable just about 1/2 between the front brake master cylinder and the headlight.

Reducing the slop in the throttle cable will reduce a lot of the throttle delay and make you smoother.

The reflash will also help but even a reflash with too much throttle cable slop will give you a jerky throttle.

Give those tips a try and you will find you have a lot better control.

Reactions: Warrior108

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
... I managed to not break anything, but my leg was black from top to bottom. They did some compartment syndrome test where they rammed a giant needle through my damn leg. ...
Compartment syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compartment syndrome is something every rider, rider's family members etc need to be aware of. Right after the injury it might not seem serious at all, even pro first responders can miss it, but hours etc latter it can lead to amputation or death. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Compartment syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Compartment syndrome is something every rider, rider's family members etc need to be aware of. Right after the injury it might not seem serious at all, even pro first responders can miss it, but hours etc latter it can lead to amputation or death. Scary stuff.
Dude, when my wife pulled up photos of it while I was waiting on the results, I was like, "Holy shit please God no!!!"

It was truly terrifying to see.

The whole thing was kind of funny, though. They had my room FULL of interns and such, because that test is almost never done there, and no one had seen it. Basically I was sitting on the bed, dry heaving into a little bag because of the shock of seeing a needle as long as my damn forearm going into my leg, with like 7 hot interns watching me.

Not exactly my finest moment.

:D

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah, besides being scary it's gross. And because it isn't a really common injury Docs etc might not watch for it, have experience with it, etc. But it happens to riders..., leg between bike and ground like it was for you, between bike and car bumper, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts