Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Thinking of switching

13K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Smokehouse 
#1 ·
I ride a 07 cbr600rr and I am liking the new fz-09 I am going to take a look at one when they hit the stores. The only thing that worries me is the absence of a wind screen. Anyone have any input on the difference in wind resistance between a sport bike and naked bike. I am really wanting more torque in a bike and a little more upright riding position, with the msrp this bike is looking really good.

#3 · (Edited)
Decide: I posted a link to Statigram in the “FZ-09 Pictures/Videos” forum which shows a windscreen on the Rapid Red. Maybe this could stand as an option and solve the problem. Here’s the link just in case you don’t see it: Instagram photos for tag #fz09 | Statigram

As for wind resistance: Most have categorized the FZ-09 as a “Sports Bike.” Yet some have listed it as a “Standard Bike.” In my experience, I’ve always encountered more wind resistance on non-faired bikes than on faired bikes -- whether or not they were classified as Sports Bikes or Standard Bikes. To compensate for this on naked bikes, I tend to slightly tuck at higher speeds on the interstate, above 75mph when overtaking vehicles --- especially large vehicles like tractor trailers. Otherwise, I was comfortable. When I rode my V-Max on the interstate, the wind was less of a problem due to the weight of the bike (1985 V-Max @ 638lbs wet). I had a good power to weight ratio. So, I was comfortable at all speeds. This was not so much on my 1983 Yamaha 650 Seca, even though, it weighed about 520lbs wet. I had the weight, but not the “ideal” power. It was doable – but it just wasn’t great for long hauls at higher speeds on the interstate. [However, it was a comfortable “non-faired” standard bike. Saved a ton on fuel. I truly enjoyed that bike and wish I had kept it for economic times like these.]

In my humble opinion, you will DEFINITELY have a better upright riding position as compared to your 2007 Honda 600rr. If I may say: Please remember that the FZ-09 is not a liter bike (i.e. developed for consist high speeds and steep cornering – like for the track). It’s very likely that the FZ-09 will not have the power and torque up top as your 600rr. But if I’m correct (and all indications point to it) you should have GREAT low-to-mid range torque and power (arguably best in class), and very “smooth” power in the higher ranges without any regressive power issues (i.e. the power should build quickly and decisively without feeling as if you have to over work the throttle to get there.). Of course, this is all speculation until you are able to ride the bike in September (or review the forthcoming articles and videos by the testers). And again, this is only from my personal experience and opinions. Hope this helps in some way. Safe Riding.

#4 ·
Deicide............As I've been on sportbikes for the last 20 or so years and am now going to switch to an FZ 09, I've had three different CBR 1000's, a CBR1100xx Blackbird, and two CBR600RR's, one of which I still have as a dedicated track bike. Last summer, I gave the '07 600RR to my wife and she sold her older model 600RR. I bought an Aprilia DorsoDuro 750 Super Motard. Totally upright, no wind protection whatsoever. To be honest with you, unless you get into a fully tucked position, the windscreen on a 600RR is not very functional as far as keeping you out of the airstream. And once again, the speeds at which you need to be fully tucked are mostly over the legal speed limits by at least 40 MPH or more. So, to me, the "no windscreen" on the new FZ is a non-issue. And as far as the earlier post about the FZ not being as torquey or have as much power as the 600RR, that is not true. The '07 600RR, which was the strongest of the 600RR's iterations, was making about 107 HP stock and the torque was in the upper 40's if I remember correctly. FZ = 115 HP stock, 65 ft. lbs of torque and weight wise, a little bit less than a stock 600RR. Can you say better power to weight ratio.........I CAN! I'm 58 years old and I am looking for a more upright riding position for my street riding times. I spend a lot of time on the track doing 20 minute sessions, and those are quite tolerable even when doing 7 on a Saturday and 7 more on a Sunday.......15/16/17 times a season. It's the more cramped riding position for my street riding that I want some relief on, as a typical Sat or Sun. ride in the E. TN mountains might turn out to be 300+ miles a day. The FZ, with some moderate suspension work will be a very capable bike for the twisties and the mountains. If you have any questions in particular, either post them up on here or give me a PM on the forum and I'll definitely get back to you.

#5 ·
Smokehouse wrote:
It’s very likely that the FZ-09 will not have the power and torque up top as your 600rr.
Here, allow me........I'll fix that for ya.....

It's CERTAIN that the FZ 09 WILL HAVE MORE POWER and TORQUE than the 600RR! :cool:

#6 ·
Thanks guys that info helps out a lot, looking forward to testing this bike out even more. I am really wanting more of the low to mid torque instead of having to wring the neck of the 600 to get some power up top. That and smoother power delivery, I am tired of having to baby 1st and 2nd gear through town so that the acceleration isn't too much then left with nothing 3-6 if I don't keep the rpms higher. I think that 20+ lb. of torque is just what I am looking for. As much as I love my bike, I am not a track rider so sacrificing comfort and low-mid torque is kind of pointless to me now.

#17 · (Edited)
I am in the same boat. I sold my ZX-6RR because I didn't do track much and wanted something comfortable to ride around town with some mid range torque as well. I am waiting for the nearby dealer to get the FZ-09 so I can test it out. The Triumph dealer told me " I can't test ride the Triple-R because people who buy Triple-Rs know what they want !! So there is no need for a test ride.!!"

Although he did let me test ride an older model in the parking lot --- which was no good because I was gonna buy a newer model and how much can you test in the parking lot ??

#7 ·
From what the literature says, this bike is going to cater to lovers of mid-range and torque response. Obviously we are all about 2 months away from actually giving this thing the beans (allowing for break in). I think however, that the bike is going to be a nice and zippy "around towner." There are bikes that are going to be faster in the straights, and maybe in the bends, but I dunno if they are going to be able to put it together quite like the FZ-09.

This bike is going to be in the same vein as the more expensive Triumph Street Triple, and it even gives you a few more horses between your knees for that money. Have you ridden the Triple, or anything of the sort, or just the CBR 600RR?

#8 ·
Nick, If you would have ever ridden my 750 DorsoDuro, you would have come back smiling for sure, with the low end and mid range punch that it had. The new FZ has more of both....AND it's lighter than the D.D. I can remember riding up at the Gap and going through some of the low speed corners and just hammering it in second or sometimes third gear and it just pull like a locomotive. And to think, the new FZ is going to have more than the D.D. did. OMG......I'm about to go crazy just thinking about it.........come on September!

#12 ·
Nick, If you would have ever ridden my 750 DorsoDuro, you would have come back smiling for sure, with the low end and mid range punch that it had.
Don't you go promising things that you cannot fulfill! You got rid of that bike before I even got a chance... Selfish. ;) I did get to ride my buddy's Suzuki Bandit 1200 a few months ago, and that bike was fun with a capitol "F". Gobs of torque. Not sure what exactly he had done to it, if anything, so I couldn't even venture a guess to the hp and tq ratings, but it was fun even with the slightly heavy bike.

Hang on to your seat..........you ain't gonna believe it! Like I said in a previous post, the FZ is going to have more power and torque than my DorsoDuro did and the FZ will be 50+ lbs lighter.

#10 ·
Hang on to your seat..........you ain't gonna believe it! Like I said in a previous post, the FZ is going to have more power and torque than my DorsoDuro did and the FZ will be 50+ lbs lighter.

Reactions: Yama58
#16 ·
I think I’m with “Decide” on this one: The FfUuNn Factor – I’m sure will be there. But I do hope it’s a good commuter as well. Depending on what my task is and where I am, it may take me 52 miles --- one way --- to get to where I need to go. Then, at times may take as few as 15. I’d just like to maximize the FfUuNn in getting there --- returning --- and then having enough left in the tank to just adventure out by changing the routes and my mind at moment’s notice without frequent pit stops. Sure – I could go with a bike with a larger fuel capacity. But this dang-on FZ-09 seems to call to me! Gotta see what it’s about. I’m hoping the reviews from my comrades on the forum and the professional rider reviewes (as well as my own) meet up with what appears to be outstanding on paper.

#18 ·
Ya it kind of stinks, all I could think about with my 250 was I want more power and absolutely loved my 600 for the first few months and still do. But the right wrist cramping and hunched over position became relevant after the new bike factor was over. I still love the power and cornering ability, I just hope I can find something a little more comfortable and still have the same thrill of a super sport without feeling like I am on one of those bmw or v strom adventure bikes. That and not getting blasted by wind even though the 600 isn't the best at blocking it like triplethreat posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.