Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm considering buying an FZ09. What I really want is the FJ-09 but it's not within my budget, I don't want to wait until is and I don't want to use credit lol.

1. i'm about 6'3 260, am i going to be to big for the fz? I sat on one today at the dealership and it didn't feel to bad though it looks small compared to my vstrom!

2. I really like to tour, mostly just weekend trips nothing much longer then that. Are saddlebags and top cases available?

3. Any aftermarket windshields available?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Aloha
I'm 6 2" at 200#
The bike feels good to me , I ride it like a dirt bike elbows up and sitting on the tank :)
Plenty aftermarket screens .
First thing to do is sort suspension

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Also does the FZ have traction control and the 3 ride modes? I know it does not have ABS, does the rear wheel lock up easy?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hey Folks,

I'm considering buying an FZ09. What I really want is the FJ-09 but it's not within my budget, I don't want to wait until is and I don't want to use credit lol.

1. i'm about 6'3 260, am i going to be to big for the fz? I sat on one today at the dealership and it didn't feel to bad though it looks small compared to my vstrom!
I'm 6'5" 260, and I fit. Probably look like a monkey humping a football, but I fit.

3. Any aftermarket windshields available?
Several. I like the Puig "Touring" screen.

·
Registered
60 Posts
No traction control on the FZ, and the rear locks up if you press the pedal down hard enough. I believe the engine will have plenty of power for you, I ride 2up all the time with my gf for a combined weight of 350... and it works great. Definitely will need suspension work on it though. I started off with an upgraded rear shock (zx-10) and that helped tremendously, have the front forks waiting to get redone at the moment. I got soft side bags and the rear rack with a top case for it too. Only thing the FJ has over the FZ (in my opinion) is bigger gas tank and ABS/traction control. The rest can be customized by you for what I believe would be a cheaper route. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you guys find the power to be a bit out of hand? i.e my vstrom makes half the power, and I only have 2 years riding. Will I be in over my head? The FJ at least I can put it in the lower mode and have abs traction control to help me out.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The search function on here is your friend. Many, many topics to look through and lots of these things have been discussed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm 85lbs lighter than you with full kit. Springs too soft; barely adequate for relaxed cruising/touring. Harsh and or pogo if you corner aggressively especially over bumps. You'll at least need shock & fork springs tuned for your weight.

Stock seat/bars make you slide forward to narrow part on long relaxed rides. Tons of screens out there from ERMAX touring type to little bikinis.

I've ridden wee strom 650's for 10yrs. FZ seems almost as roomy to me. I have penske 8900E shock and stiffer fork springs. It's very nimble at lower speeds and steering feels slightly quicker than strom at higher speeds. Very user friendly handling, with the suspension mods. Oh,btw rear fender worthless in foul weather; your back gets as filthy as your front. Brakes are MUCH stronger.

FZ way way more fun than a wee strom.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I owned a Wee and this is a much different animal. The Strom is made for a different purpose and although the FZ is a blast it's not going to fit the all around characteristics of the Wee. It's got much more power, manageable and a lot of fun, but a totally different engine response. The Strom is a de-tuned 650 which is able to go from tarmac to dirt without even flinching. The FZ can't do that. The FZ will definately need suspension and farkles to ride long distance so I would suggest by the time your done you could probably own a FJ.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There's No question the FJ is a better and much more complete package, and it's MSRP reflects that.....Moreover, if Yamaha had introduced the FJ at the same time as the FZ there's No doubt many members here would be proud owners of the FJ.:cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Thanks guys! hopefully I can get a decent price for my v-strom and be able to swing the FJ :)
You can get a general idea on CycleTrader.com & Craigslist.com of what your bike is worth in terms of Retail Pricing.......Obviously the Yamaha Stealership has to make some money on your trade....

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've got about 30 miles on dirt roads on my fz at 600 miles total and I think it does great. Think I may get skid plate soon.
I even jumped it lol only a few feet but still hehe.
How much more clearance does fj have ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really didn't care for the styling of the FJ when I saw it in person. My opinion is that a smaller version of the Super Tenere with the FZ engine would have been perfect. In Europe they have a 660cc S10. An 850cc would be a great package.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not to coin a phrase but, "If you like your V-strom, you should keep your V-strom. I have an 2005 DL650, the We-strom, and I have no desire or plan to ever get rid of this bike. It is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I bought the FZ as a solo back road
fun bike that has the heart of a sport bike and the ergonomics of a standard bike. I am fortunate as I can own multiple bikes and am not forced onto one machine. The forums advice and steering you toward the FJ is good, you might also look at the larger Versys.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Money better spent on the FJ considering that you can also change seat and bar position and beefed up subframe for passenger and luggage. TC and ABS a bonus if you like those features. No suspension work needed or windscreen and handguards to buy.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
The FZ is the budget version of the FJ -- who wouldn't want the complete package...???

·
Registered
654 Posts
Vehicle Mode of transport Road Motorcycle Tree
because you can make 95% of an FJ out of an FZ for way less money. Im not as tall as the original poster, only 5'10" but I weigh close to the same as you, 255. if your not looking to carve corners I believe you can get away with the stock suspension set as slow and stiff as it goes and thicker fork oil. obviously springing it for your weight would be better long term. the pic answers some of your other questions about add ons

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not to coin a phrase but, "If you like your V-strom, you should keep your V-strom. I have an 2005 DL650, the We-strom, and I have no desire or plan to ever get rid of this bike. It is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I bought the FZ as a solo back road
fun bike that has the heart of a sport bike and the ergonomics of a standard bike. I am fortunate as I can own multiple bikes and am not forced onto one machine. The forums advice and steering you toward the FJ is good, you might also look at the larger Versys.

Ride Safe.
I wish I could unfortunately I couldn't afford the cost of both. I need the sale of my wee to finance the new bike and even if I didn't the insurance would kill me. I'd be looking at about 2000 a year for both. Insurance in Ontario is insane.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
View attachment 13915
because you can make 95% of an FJ out of an FZ for way less money. Im not as tall as the original poster, only 5'10" but I weigh close to the same as you, 255. if your not looking to carve corners I believe you can get away with the stock suspension set as slow and stiff as it goes and thicker fork oil. obviously springing it for your weight would be better long term. the pic answers some of your other questions about add ons
very nice setup! Do they make a specific rack for the shad luggage or is that something you made up on your own? It looks great by the way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts