Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Welcome to the forum gpfan. This is a fun and informative place to hang out to learn "stuff" about the FZ09........and life in general. I don't know what you background is with motorcycling, or your level of experience, but there is a lot of knowledge here. Feel free to use the search engine and if you don't find what you are looking for, ask questions. Some of us are on and off the forum all day long.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Some of us are on and off the forum all day long.
I dont know who you're talking about. Lol, my work has suffered some serious productivity since joining this forum

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Unfortunately, I can't browse at work, so it's my sleep that suffers instead. Lol :rolleyes:
I would be in the same boat on our work computers...not being able to browse, thank goodness for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

·
Registered
225 Posts
thank goodness for my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
How do you like that phone? The hospital my wife works at is no longer providing phones, and her current "company phone" is old.
She carries a tablet, but it seems this one can be both in one. The apps she uses are droid so this phone seems like a win - win...if it works as advertised

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry for the thread jack.
If you have a little experience, and/or are disciplined enough to start easy on this beast, I say go for it.
Be advised tho, it is a bit of a handful for a beginner, especially the adrenaline junky beginner.

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
Stop thinking and do it. Unless you are a complete newcomer to the fantastic world of motosickles... in which case I'd suggest starting out on a 500CC moto.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum. But lol, how about a bit more info about yourself?
What is your riding experience?
What type of riding do you like?
What are you looking for in a new bike?
What other bikes are you considering?
Well, since you asked.
1. I've been riding for 6 years now although I learned as a teenager about 13 years ago. I average about 24k miles a year on the bike or more. Used to do a little flattrack and supermoto racing. No car now. Also used to work at a shop specializing in engine building. We hve several AMA flattrack titles, supermoto titles, and have done lots more including development work for a lot of companies including Dyno jet and bazzazz.
2. All of it. Dirt, street, track, racing.
3. Most importantly that it's a fun bike to ride. Something that can do longer trips a little bit more comfortably.(dd is an 08 r6, rearsets, lower clip ons etc.) More torque than the daily for passengers too.
4. a 600 or 1l with bars, a couple Ducati's, superduke, and a street triple(why the hell are these so expensive?). Maybe something I don;t know of yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the concern but I'm not worried about it being too much, I can handle liter bikes without much issue and the fastest thing I've ever ridden was controllable after I scared myself once(KTM RC8R w/ superbike kit dynod at 190hp). I really want to test ride one before I pull the trigger though.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i think it's a great ride, if you're looking for something to be more commuter friendly (i.e. side saddle options) or something more comfortable at extended highway speeds, i would also recommend the Ninja 1000. The new 2014 has remote adjustable suspension and optional hard cases that integrate nicely with the bike (i think the price on these is $750 and more if you get it later).

I looked at this vs. the FZ, i wanted something with fairings for more highway riding, but when it came down to it, the kawi is $13k and more if you want ABS.

FZ is just damn cheap and way more fun (plus lighter weight).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hence why I'm looking at it. Cheap and it can do track duty from time to time amongst a whole host of other things. I really don't like KAwi anymore. I've had a few and I'm over all the little bull shit problems. I'm also a fan of light bikes. 417 w/ a full tank is pretty damn good.

It also goes back to my number one requirement. The bike be fun and fun everyday. The kawi won't have that for me I suspect. I'm also really leaning towards a triple or twin. I like them the most.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yes, you have ample experience for an 09 lol.

Before I saw the pre-release press about the 09 I was likely going to get a Street Triple R, besides some nicer components on the Triumph I think you a paying a bit for it being an exotic. Isn't every non Japanese, non Harley an exotic? But I like the looks of the 09 better, and the broad torque.

For trips with a passenger you are likely to want an after market seat.

Edit: The 09 feels very light and nimble. I'm coming from a couple of first gen SV650 bikes, one street and one track day, I'd say the 09 feels comparable but with a huge amount of added torque.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The geometry looks right to me. I was looking at it but the triumph is very japanese. They're a bit better in some area's and great motorcycles but they are very japanese at the core. I would not call them exotic in any way either. Very easy to get parts, find a dealer, etc. It's priced really well too. That said I want the motor and chassis. Suspension can be changed but those can't and I'm a littel pissed that they dropped the power on the ST3. It didn't need it and it didn't gain any torque across the mid.

Passenger wise: They can deal with the stock one for a while. Current girlie enjoys the stock r6 pillion so I don't think it'll be a problem. So really I just need to look at a sueprduke and the duke's I'm considering. I amy also go wild and convert my r6 to bars and what not. Idk yet.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
duke looks insane but not sure how manageable it would be for the street. Not to mention i believe the price tag is $5 to $6k higher than the FZ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was gonna go direct to flash tune. I'm gonna order there stuff for my r6 first to see how I like it. I have a guru for tuning so he'll get it set up for me all nice too. Plus it's in perfect air. sea level, great humidity level and the air just seems a little denser there. I've been following the thread too.

duke looks insane but not sure how manageable it would be for the street. Not to mention i believe the price tag is $5 to $6k higher than the FZ
The new one is about 10k more. I'm looking at a used one. can be had for the same price or less. They're good bikes. I'm just not sure it's what I want. again need to test ride a bunch and remeber what some of them are like to ride.

Also someone mentioned luggage: I use a full set of kriega bags. They're amazing and so far nothing has come close to working as well. Plus I can use them on any bike I own or will own. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm Happy With It

All right, I'll put my 2 cents worth now. I have 45K miles on my Triumph Speed Triple so I figured it's time for a fresh bike before the S3 extended warranty expires this coming June. I considered a new S3 but they want almost $13 grand for it! I bought the FZ09 three weeks ago and have put 700 miles on it so far. Here's my breakdown between the two so far:

Overall, Triumph is a more capable bike. I weigh over 200 pounds so new springs front and rear were necessary on the Triumph which is the case of the Yamaha as well.
Yami is easier to ride and has more overall room for my 6'-3" frame. Probably lighter weight, narrow frame, and bar/peg position account for this.
Triumph has suspension that is adjustable and works well at trackdays. The Yamaha will need springs and possible valving changes to do track days. It's just not up to it stock, but I have a track bike and the Yami is just a commuter for me.
Yami needs something more for the front brakes. Probably just steel braided lines would fix it. Triumph came stock with them.
Yami fueling is definitely abrupt in STD and A modes. Power commander or something will smooth this out. Waiting to find out the hot ticket on this.
Yami has a MUCH more upright seating position than the Triumph. Feels totally dirtbike to me. I love this about it but you have to hang on for dear life on the freeway. I'm pretty sure the soon-to-be-available wind screen will really help take the wind-blast off my chest.
Acceleration seems about equal between the S3 and the FZ to me. Lighter weight of the FZ may account for this even though it has 200 less cc's. The Yami gets a bit out-of-shape when pouring it on with the suspension stock as it is. I have pre-load maxed out front and rear with little improvement.
Fuel stops are about the same because even though the Yami has a smaller tank, it gets better mileage (34 vs. 39).
Seat is harder on the Yami but slide back 2-3 inches and your right on the wide part of the seat (relief!). Only thing is that when your dicing it up, you want to be up against the tank on the narrow part of the seat. It's all good though because the Triumph although softer, doesn't allow your butt to move back or forward.
More dash info on the Yami but kinda hard to read the details. Love the gear selection indicator at lights, and gas gauge (although questionable metering).

All said; I think the Yamaha will work nearly as well as the Triumph with all the necessary upgrades and still end up with approx. a $4,000.00 savings. The Triumph has been less than trouble-free also. Engine has been pulled twice for warranty covered repairs. I will always buy an extended warranty.....forever. Worth every penny for an extra 5 years of coverage for $580.00. My friend has an 06 S3 with it's 2nd engine with it's 2nd top-end. He's an idiot though and can't blame all of it on Triumph. But still.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts