Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the pitch for these persuasive. More flow and better filtration seems like a win. And you can get a closer look at your used oil when you clean them. Any opinions? (I did a search but didn't find a previous topic). I'm thinking about a K&P filter for my Busa, and FZ09 should I get one:

K&P Engineering's Reusable Oil Filter

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I comment on a similar thread a while ago. That's ho it use to be on cars back in the early days... they got away from this for the spin-on disposable filter that we have today. Not worth it IMO

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would rather spend a bit more just to not have to deal with cleaning that thing. Disposable is nice!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Back on the Tiger1050 site, there was a long thread and one member posted a comparison on a bunch of major filters detailing particle sizes that were filtered. The reuseable filter did not take out the finer contamination which is necessary to allow it to be effectively cleaned. Overall, protection was pretty poor. Typically what you want to filter are really fine particles of metal and carbon which pretty much comprise what you don't want to recirculate around your moving parts. Particles that you can feel or see would not be a contaminate under normal operating conditions. Verdict: the smallest micron disposable filters available offer the best protection. Forget the reuseable ones.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I find the pitch for these persuasive.
that means the marketing people did their job. it's not much of a pitch if it's not persuasive.

More flow and better filtration seems like a win.
yes, except:

- oil filters are not the primary restriction to flow in an engine. the engine's narrow oil passages and tiny bearing clearances are. and the oil itself, when it's cold and thick. there is only so much flow the engine can accept before the oil pump's relief valve opens up and dumps the excess oil flow back into the sump, so while k&p's claim of '7 times the flow of conventional oil filters' sounds good and may even be true in a lab, in an actual engine that flow capacity is is never realized. it's like gearing your 100hp bike to reach a top speed of 1000mph.

- modern oil filters - especially the premium ones that use synthetic filtering media - filter better than 35 microns.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Good opinions, but the best one was 'we need more data.' Hard to understand why this hasn't been tested. I'm guessing that the disposables are cheap, mass-produced, and vary in performance. Like maybe the cheap Fram has 15% chance to have a hole in the paper due to bad clip or glue, something like that. As well, the manufacturers advertise and would be pissed if a magazine did what should be a pretty simple test, so we don't get simple tests that show real world results. I checked their website, but couldn't find such a test from consumer report magazine...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Back on the Tiger1050 site, there was a long thread and one member posted a comparison on a bunch of major filters detailing particle sizes that were filtered. The reuseable filter did not take out the finer contamination which is necessary to allow it to be effectively cleaned. Overall, protection was pretty poor. Typically what you want to filter are really fine particles of metal and carbon which pretty much comprise what you don't want to recirculate around your moving parts. Particles that you can feel or see would not be a contaminate under normal operating conditions. Verdict: the smallest micron disposable filters available offer the best protection. Forget the reuseable ones.
yup, seems right, but I've also seen a lot of criticism of false advertising where filters are tested and don't live up to their small micron claims.

I haven't spent a ton of time researching this, but if I can find one that would fit, this one looks pretty good ($10 on Amazon):

http://www.bestcovery.com/mobil-1-extended-performance-oil-filter

The other off-topic question I have is about fuel filters. When the Hayabusa first came out there were problems because the fuel filter was intended to protect the engine by filtering out small micron particles. But the filter got clogged, choked the the flow, and had to be replaced with a looser filter. It would be great if some solution were found, but short of hanging a fuel can from the roof of one's garage and letting it drip through a large but fine filter into the tank overnight, I don't guess that's going to happen. It would make you feel great to that for your engine though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts