Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go by Dexter and I'm definitely looking at getting an FZ-09 and this site is pretty awesome so far.

I've had a 2000 Honda CBR F4, 2007 Yamaha R6, and a 2008 Honda CBR 600RR so now I'm coming right back to another Yamaha. I'm tired of sport bikes and I want a more upright bike, so the 09 should fit the bill.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your search. Be sure to check the classifieds on this site.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Don't overlook the FZ-07!
Test Ride them both. They're both around 400lbs which is really a two sided sword -- has its advantages and its disadvantages. Buying the '09 w/o a Test Ride is a crapshoot at best.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Welcome Dexter. I too had gotten to the point that the sportbike "comfort" was lacking for those 250 - 300 mile days, so I went from a 2007 CBR 600RR to an Aprilia DorsoDuro, to the FZ09. I am now totally satisfied with my street bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stop thinking and Just Do It. I bought my 09 w/o a test ride and it was the best choice I made in a long time. Welcome to the boards Dex!!

Reactions: magilke441

·
Registered
539 Posts
^^^ Ditto

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Bought mine without a test ride too. Did my research, knew it was what I wanted, and couldn't have been more right.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bought mine without a test ride as well. I'm pretty happy with it, but here a few thoughts coming from a Daytona 675:

-Seat is hard, and positioning is more awkward without feeling the passenger seat behind you to know where you are.
-The handlebars are higher and closer which gives you that upright posture, but also makes the cockpit feel cramped. If you are used to having your ass in the air and your elbows close to locked, it will feel weird to have you elbows somewhere between 45 and 90 degrees. This has lead to me scooting farther back onto the passenger seat to find the posture that I'm used to.
-If you think adding a windscreen will allow you to "tuck in" like you have on sport bikes, it won't. Unless you are short. The windscreen is mounted just in front of the handlebars, so when you lean toward it it will make a better chin rest than wind break. I have the Puig touring screen.
-Suspension really isn't OK stock, but that is well documented.

You really should try it before you buy it. I wish I did, not because I have regret but because it simply isn't as awesome as I expected, but it is getting better as I grow accustom to it. For the record I am a hair over 6' tall and 230 pounds (and gaining). Is it weird that I really wanted to lie about my weight on an anonymous message board?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Triple ditto on the bought without a test ride... I knew exactly what I was getting into from the early reviews. Rough around the edges... yes, but price/performance sold me on it. I've never looked back and have no regrets. (I'm semi old too, wanting a more upright, standard motorcycle)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also bought it without a test ride and knew about it's shortcomings.

Don't regret it for a second...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts