Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night on my way home a car got in my lane then hesitated at the intersection and I had to execute an emergency stop. I did it by the book using front and rear brake. The I am a heavier rider and I had my saddle bags so the rear had some weight on it but the front dove so much that the rear got really light and actually started sliding..... Not cool.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Or, you did a damn good job of staying in control in a bad situation. Sure, suspension could have been better. Maybe more powerful brakes, with a better feel also....but, you did it.

Well done.

The surprise situations never go by the book, or it would not be a real surprise.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Or, you did a damn good job of staying in control in a bad situation. Sure, suspension could have been better. Maybe more powerful brakes, with a better feel also....but, you did it.

Well done.

The surprise situations never go bay the book, or it would not be a real surprise.
This is true... Good looking out and staying upright!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay guys, who are you going to to upgrade the forks and rear shock. I don' think I want to spend a fortune but just a respiring, oil change and valve job if needed on the forks. Who is doing this economically Race Tech, EBR?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Under heavy braking, shorter wheelbase bikes like ours will easily lighten and even lift the rear tire, making lockup easy to do if too hard on the rear brake in a panic stop. Will a better suspension prevent this? not so sure.

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah the brake dive is very annoying! Glad you didn't go down. My previous bike was FJ1200 ABS. I really liked it. I'm guessing this FJ09 future bike will come equipped with ABS. I can't wait to get the forks sorted out. Waiting to see what the drop in cartridge from stoltec will cost. Sound's like $1100 plus! ouch

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Under heavy braking, shorter wheelbase bikes like ours will easily lighten and even lift the rear tire, making lockup easy to do if too hard on the rear brake in a panic stop. Will a better suspension prevent this? not so sure.
Even with a "perfect" suspension braking lightens the rear and you can lift it off the pavement. But if the springs and damping are soft and you get on the brakes hard the front dives a lot more, and the rear extends quicker, that nose-down rotation makes lifting or skidding the rear more likely.

Plus if you are maximum braking for an emergency you still want the forks to have something left to handle bumps gracefully.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts