Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. A bit longer tail -- say 3 inches -- so it does not look so much like a motard
2. An analog tach with white background -- don't know I guess I am old school when it comes to tachs being digital
3. Silver forks instead of the gold
4. Blue (Yamaha blue) bike with black wheels

5. a slightly bigger tank -- say 4.2 gallons. However if the current tank gives me anywhere from 130-160 miles then this issue could be moot.

3,4 & 5 have alternatives-- install new forks after purchase, buy the Rapid Red,

1 & 2, I guess I will have to live with.

What are some things you would like changed?

·
Registered
8 Posts
-Centered, analog tach & speedo (or at least in the same style as other current Yamaha bikes)
-I'm getting red cuz I just can't do them blue wheels. That's a lil too "Fast and the Furious" styled for me.
-A bit more of a tail with a proper-sized rear seat (not quite a big deal though)
-Definitely a bigger tank

·
Registered
300 Posts
1. A bit longer tail -- say 3 inches -- so it does not look so much like a motard
2. An analog tach with white background -- don't know I guess I am old school when it comes to tachs being digital
3. Silver forks instead of the gold
4. Blue (Yamaha blue) bike with black wheels

5. a slightly bigger tank -- say 4.2 gallons. However if the current tank gives me anywhere from 130-160 miles then this issue could be moot.

3,4 & 5 have alternatives-- install new forks after purchase, buy the Rapid Red,

1 & 2, I guess I will have to live with.

What are some things you would like changed?
The subframe is bolted on, maybe you could bolt on an FZ-8, R6 or some other tail, or mod the stock one. Same with the gauge cluster, an FZ-8 cluster or some other (Yam specific) may plug right into the harness (although you maybe wouldn't know what mode you were in). Also, Koso makes some nice gauge clusters for a few hundred dollars. Just depends on how important it would be to you change those things. I'm def not a fan of the bar graph tach, although I'm sure I'll just get used to it. And I probably wont be looking at it much anyway with such a flat torque curve.

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the way it is, keeping in mind that we haven't yet seen one in person or sat on one. The instrumentation may prove to be a bit annoying (too small), but I'm not looking down at it too much anyway. Of course the rear end will most likely have to be redone with a fender eliminator type setup and some smaller turn signals. I really like the Gold forks on the Red bike (the one that I've got a deposit on). As far as the gas tank, I will have to reserve judgement on the size until I see what kind of MPG the bike is going to get. I just sold a DorsoDuro with a 3 gal. tank and I learned to manage that pretty well, so the FZ should be OK as long as I'm getting in the 45 MPG range. I will also reserve judgement on the suspension until I get a chance to put it through the paces and get the suspension dialed in (as well as possible with stock susp.). It may require something aftermarket in the forks to get what I want out of it.

Obviously, the exhaust system will eventually have to go in favor of something that will offer more sound and less weight, while providing a dab more H.P.; of course that will most like require a fuel management system like the Power Commander or ???

For the price point of this bike, I honestly think that it's a good value. Sure, they could have offered it up with fully adj. susp. or even the top stuff like Ohlins, but the price would have jumped up another 1500 to 2000 dollars. Hopefully there will be some Yamaha accessories available like a flyscreen and possibly a rear seat cowl.

As soon as I can change the shift pattern to G.P. shift, that will happen. Hopefully by just flipping the shifter arm backwards....if not, something else will have to be figured out or the aftermarket companies will most likely make rearsets for it eventually.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've been wondering about modern manufacturer thinking and planning .... And after looking through the good info posted by them lucky chaps that went to Laguna! Good job all! ...

The rear shock/s.... Not only on this bike but on a number of the newer bikes and many 'older' ones of many brands... Manufacturers seem to just put the bare minimum on mostly .. Because a lot of riders either ... Will buy the factory upgrades?! .. Or put aftermarket gear on anyway! .. Why spend company dollars on something that won't get left on there long anyway? ... And as it does still perform to a minimum standard they still have fulfilled their basic customer obligations ... And the riders that don't feel the need to upgrade are still happy! ...

Come to think of it.... Exhaust (scrotum..... Lol!) , front springs , gauges sometimes .... ?? All pretty quickly modifiable ...

... So ... Company provides good stock level power plant , good frame/bodywork for the most part, reasonable tyres (cos we all know we will push it on the rubber! ... Admit it!) ;) .. And the best compromise for 'all riders everywhere' they can on the Ergos ...

Set the price lower with basic suspension, gauges and 'legal' exhaust... And win the buyers in with dreams of being able to wrench time their new beast into a road predator! ...

Of course you can have all the primo add-ones from the factory sir!, for many extra $ !! ...

Good sound business sense really! .... No?!

Reactions: triplethreat

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
.. Company provides good stock level power plant , good frame/bodywork for the most part, reasonable tyres (cos we all know we will push it on the rubber! ... Admit it!) ;) .. And the best compromise for 'all riders everywhere' they can on the Ergos ...

Set the price lower with basic suspension, gauges and 'legal' exhaust... And win the buyers in with dreams of being able to wrench time their new beast into a road predator! ...
exactly. looking at it by itself it's easy to forget that this bike is built to a budget. if you look at its closest competition the yamaha demolishes them all hardware wise. the suzuki sfv650 and kawi ninja 650 have conventional forks, non-adjustable or barely adjustable suspension, crappy two-piston front brake calipers....yamaha gives you inverted forks and a shock with preload and rebound adjustability, four-piston monobloc radially mounted calipers, 200 more cc's, 50 pounds less weight...for basically the same price. triumph will happily sell you the base model street triple with low-end suspension and fisher price front brakes for $1400 more than the yami.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...... crappy two-piston front brake calipers....yamaha gives you inverted forks and a shock with preload and rebound adjustability, four-piston monobloc radially mounted calipers,
I have been trying to find that information but don't see it explicitly stating that it has a 4-pot radially mounted calipers. Where did you read this? Link please !!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm with you 100% on the analog gauges. To me, digital goes against the very idea of strapping a motor to two wheels and hitting the road.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I foresee a lot of "WTT burple colored wheels for black" threads.

Don't think you will have too many Rapid Red owners wanting to trade.:D

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm going to hold off for the 2015 with the hopes I can get a black,silver, graphite, or similar color without the obnoxious blue rims.

In the past, Yamaha has offered some nice shades of red. I really like the dark crimson they used on the FZ6 for a while. This fire engine red just doesn't work for me. Do they do market research prior to selecting color schemes? Maybe I'm just too old school.

I have been willing to buy less than desirable colors when it comes to snowmobiles. For a bike, I want something that I really like. Mixing the graphite tank, with gold forks, and then blue rims, makes it seem a little cobbled together.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I saw a picture of the FZ-09 with a purple tank on one of the reviewing sites. Sooooo I got-to thinking: Ummm…A purple & gold scheme. Why? Glad you asked.

--The Gold forks are already in place. Just paint the tank, fenders, and side seat panels (where the FZ-09 etching is) purple. Then dip the rims (or tape them) in gold to match the forks.
-Full exhaust replacement with an Akrapovic set-up if there is an aftermarket replacement. [I heard one on a Street Triple Titan and it sounded AMAZING!] If not, then I’d have to go with a Slip-on [if they made a Slip-On for the FZ-09]
--Shorty levers in gold
-- Fender Eliminator Kit
--GP Commander

Now if I can’t get the purple and gold scheme to work (via CAD designs before actually doing the work) then I’d buy the red & gold bike, ditch the can, get the levers in gold, get the FE kit, and get the tuner. And oh yeah…One more thing for the gold forks if I bought the red & gold bike: I’d find a way to paint two bulldogs on the front with a smokey--- Semper Fi!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Reactions: kmonstermash

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
First thing I would do is put on Zeta Armor Handguards with integrated flashers removing most of the bulk above the headlight. I have a pair on my Yamaha WR250R and love them. Gives it the Hypermotard feel and wind protection. Next I would dump the cheesy looking rear tail light and replace it with a DRC unit with the upgraded 12oclock circuit board thus removing the entire plate bracket and flashers.

View attachment 239 View attachment 240

1 - 20 of 41 Posts