Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is way too much thread moving on this forum

It inhibits conversation, as the incorrect assumption that we all check all the various different forums constantly is being made.

I know, It's not MY forum, but you are hurting yourselves by subdividing this place far, far too much.

As of right now, in this forum the top thread's last reply was an hour ago,
the next thread is three hours ago
the next thread is five hours ago
the next thread is twelve hours ago.

Signed, a long time multiple forum user/administrator.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Mr Snamzzaj, in the future please post in the appropriate forum. This forum is "FZ09 general discussion". Since your post has absolutely nothing to do with an FZ09.... the appropriate place for your post would be in the "Off Topic" forum.

The management here is sick and tired of moving threads because it's members either cannot read or they refuse to follow the rules.

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
There is way too much thread moving on this forum

It inhibits conversation, as the incorrect assumption that we all check all the various different forums constantly is being made.

I know, It's not MY forum, but you are hurting yourselves by subdividing this place far, far too much.

As of right now, in this forum the top thread's last reply was an hour ago,
the next thread is three hours ago
the next thread is five hours ago
the next thread is twelve hours ago.

Signed, a long time multiple forum user/administrator.
snamzzaj...........The moving of threads here is something that is almost exclusively done by me. Sometimes it is extremely obvious that a thread has been placed in the wrong section and it gets moved as soon as I see it. Other threads sometimes are of such content that they could possibly be in a maybe a couple of different locations, and be OK. I always try to point/locate the thread in the proper category when and if it needs to be moved....in an effort to keep things as organized as possible. As the forum continues to grow, and the amount of threads increase over time, organization of the thread topics is and will be more important in order to quickly find a topic that you are looking for. Trust me, if EVERYONE put a thread that they started, in the proper section/location, it would cut down on my duties as a moderator here. No one moves threads just to be moving them.....there is a method to what I'm doing. Having said that.......Am I 100% correct on everything I move.......probably not, but threads don't get moved just for fun.....they get moved because they are in a wrong area of the forum. As a past forum Admin, I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, but just in case.......^^^^^^ there it is.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Trust me, if EVERYONE put a thread that they started, in the proper section/location, it would cut down on my duties as a moderator here. No one moves threads just to be moving them.....there is a method to what I'm doing.
Thanks for all your efforts TT.
Hey, perhaps we can teach all the southern (and West Coast) guys to read. We know they don't teach down/over thar! (j/k) :book1:
Yep...leave it to a Yank to take a pot-shot. :bom:

(We know we Americans can't teach AU/NZ/EU folks to do anything...OUR WAY! haha)

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Thank you redeye, I'm trying! Thanks moFZio for the like in my post.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just go to 'new posts' when you come in. That's what I do. IDK where the threads originate from.
Now that's interesting. My practice is often to type www.fz09.org/forum bringing me directly to the forum page which has no listing of recent posts. Typing www.fz09.org (omitting the /forum part) and scrolling down reveals the 'recent posts' section.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
The thread moving doesn't bother me, but I can see how the forum layout might be causing a lot of the posts being in the wrong place. For example, I really don't understand why Track Riding/Racing is under the Garage section. It should be right beside The Ride Report, or even a sub-forum there.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Just go to 'new posts' when you come in. That's what I do. IDK where the threads originate from.
That's one way to do it. My forum shortcut is http://www.fz09.org/forum/usercp.php which shows me all of my subscribed threads and forums. I go there first to see any updates that I care about, then I look in the forums I want to see what else is new.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
If I'm using tapatalk app on my phone (which sucks since they've updated it) I simply click the unread button to see threads that are new. On the website I just click active topics - same deal.

Either of those functions aggregate all new posts.

If you think this website is fragmented, don't go to vw vortex - it'll tske you 10 minutes to find the right forum.

Low response rate is likely because it's winter and half the forum is not riding and depressed because of it.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
All forums, whether they are motorcycle related, car forums, fishing, hunting, whatever, have to start somewhere. The Admins of this forum decided, when the forum was built, to make it a certain way based on their experience of past forums. The guys and gals that were around when this forum first started up back in June of 2013 may remember the basic layout of the forum back then. Since that original layout, we have adjusted, moved, added, and organized some of the sections in an ever evolving effort to make the forum work for the members that are on it. What we have may not be a perfect forum setup/arrangement (beauty is in the eyes of the beholder anyway), but we have listened to requests to add sections and such, and if the request makes sense to the Admins, the request is honored and the change is made. As the forum grows in membership, there may, and probably will, have to be additional changes made to the forum layout. Overall, I think that most of it makes sense and works pretty well, but be assured that I am open to suggestions and will pass them along to the forum Admin(s) to consider.......but just remember, the change or changes would have to benefit the majority of the members here.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I've been a member of a lot of motorcycle forums over the past 5 years and mostly they all have the same basic setup:

A section for non-make/model specific motorcycling related posts
A section for discussions specific to the make/model the forum is about
A section for discussion about "other bikes"
A An off topic section
A classified section
Regional sections
Tech sections

Other forums have become cluttered because EVERYBODY posts EVERYTHING in the non-specific motorcycling forum (including stuff that doesn't even pertain to motorcycling). Here, they keep it organized. What's wrong with that?

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
If I'm using tapatalk app on my phone (which sucks since they've updated it) I simply click the unread button to see threads that are new. On the website I just click active topics - same deal.

Either of those functions aggregate all new posts.

If you think this website is fragmented, don't go to vw vortex - it'll tske you 10 minutes to find the right forum.

Low response rate is likely because it's winter and half the forum is not riding and depressed because of it.
Beck.......you are correct. I'm a member of probably close to a dozen motorcycle related forums and they ALL slow down over the winter months. Other activities that people do are "more important" at the time than their motorcycle which is parked over in a corner with a cover over it and a Battery Tender hooked up........while they look outside and the thermometer is reading below freezing and the snow is flying. Then springtime starts to emerge and the trees start to bloom, the grass needs to be cut and all of a sudden, the motorcycle habit is also back in full bloom and everyone is happy again.

Reactions: weaponzero

·
Registered
120 Posts
Beck.......you are correct. I'm a member of probably close to a dozen motorcycle related forums and they ALL slow down over the winter months. Other activities that people do are "more important" at the time than their motorcycle which is parked over in a corner with a cover over it and a Battery Tender hooked up........while they look outside and the thermometer is reading below freezing and the snow is flying. Then springtime starts to emerge and the trees start to bloom, the grass needs to be cut and all of a sudden, the motorcycle habit is also back in full bloom and everyone is happy again.
And posters get whining, and moaning about stupid stuff like forum structure and moderators. It all goes away when the weather warms up.
You do a fine job TT.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I simply click on "Active Topics" to see recent posts to the Threads in play, while praying 599 hasn't posted lately.:cool:

Reactions: EdVR
1 - 20 of 24 Posts