Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was teaching a motorcycling class in Carrollton today, and -- as is my habit -- I left my key in the ignition. I mean, I would never be more than 50 yards from the thing at any time, and 50 yards would be quick to cover if some ne'er-do-well tried to make mischief with it, right?

I've reconsidered that theory.

Some crack-head/meth-head/transient wandering through the range's parking area decided to sit on my bike. I realized this when I saw my front marker lights come on. I immediately rode a range bike over to confront him, and after several commands to get out of the saddle, he finally obeyed. He tried to play it off as him being interested in taking the class, but I wasn't buying it. "So you gonna tell me about your bike?" he grinned after my third command to leave the range. I replied by dialing 911. He left fast and I explained to 911 that the situation was resolved.
It wasn't until 5 minutes later that I realized I should have made a citizen's arrest and had the cops come haul him away, as the mofo had been actively trying to start the bike, not just sitting on it. The only thing that prevented him from actually firing it up was the unusual nature of the 09's starter button. The miscreant hit my MODE button several times, and turned on my hazard-flashers, but because he couldn't work out the "secret" of the starter, I didn't have to fire multiple shots at him, risking hitting distant bystanders or -- worse -- incapacitating him to the point that he dropped my bike as he was fleeing.
So the good news is three-fold: (A) I didn't have to interrupt class with three hours of paperwork to justify my shooting to the Carrollton cops, (B) the crack-head/meth-head/transient didn't abscond with my precious Lana, and (C) I learned a valuable object lesson on erring on the side of caution with material loss.
And we know that our starter button is a sort of last-ditch deterrent to theft -- at least for the less educated amongst the population.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wow, you handled that very well. I always leave my keys in the ignition when parked in the garage. A couple of times, out of habit, I have left the keys in a public place. That's when the light bulb goes off and I sprint back to the bike as fast as possible haha. I'm glad everything worked out for you. Sitting on the bike alone would have set me off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am glad that your baby was left alone and not harmed. I think that we all can use the reminder to not get in the habit of leaving our keys in the bike when we are in public places. I myself have put my baby in the same situation, but with a different result. Lucky that one of my cooks told me about my key being left in the ignition.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Glad he didn't hurt or knock over your bike. I am even more glad that yamaha made that funky start button.

He should be lucky you didn't introduce him to your 1911. In that situation I would have introduced him to my little friend Mr. Rock Island 45. LOL

the-big-lebowski.jpg

Reactions: Boomer1911a1

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, when I'm not teaching in an actual school, I carry a Ruger P345. I love my Springfield 1911, but the Ruger "prints" less, is lighter, and has a double-action first shot. For the liability lawyers, you know.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I didn't have to fire multiple shots at him, risking hitting distant bystanders or -- worse -- incapacitating him to the point that he dropped my bike as he was fleeing.
So the good news is three-fold: (A) I didn't have to interrupt class with three hours of paperwork to justify my shooting to the Carrollton cops,

I don't know about your state laws, but generally you can't justify shooting at an escaping thief. You would have to claim he was trying to run you over when you fired, or something like that. I sympathize with how upset you were, but please don't do anything stupid to get legislators ready to add more restrictions on the carrying of firearms. BTW I carry a Glock 30.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Lethal force in defense of property is not legal in any jurisdiction. You must be in fear for your life or severe bodily harm to use deadly force.

Ruger p345 and Springer 1911 huh? Sort of old school aren't yah? HK, Sig, and Glock are my favorite, and the most reliable. I still have a few 1911's Kimber Raptor and Sig Spartan but rarely do I carry them. I have a bunch of Ruger's though: LCP Arizona edition; LC9; LCR (.357 mag & .22 mag); SR40C; GP100 .357 Wiley Clapp; Sp101 .22; 10/22; American Rifle 30-06; Mini-30; and 22/45.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Au contraire! In Texas, at night, on your own property, you can essentially light someone up for simply being there, never mind defense of property. The presumption of threat favors the homeowner. They changed the law 8 or 9 years ago in response to existing laws that required retreat.
Of course, that didn't apply to my situation, and I wouldn't do that anyway, as indiscriminate fire sounds like a recipe for tragedy. And, yes, the last thing the pro 2A movement needs is another questionable defensive shooting.

Oh, and: Ruger P345, daily holster carry (when not in class.) S&W M&P .45 full-size, car gun. Glock 20 in left-side shoulder rig for long MC trips. S&W M21 .44 Spl, nightstand gun. Plus various others. The Springfield 1911 is a safe queen.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You are referring to the castle doctrine. Just about every jurisdiction allows for lethal force in defense of your home without a showing a fear of death or serious bodily harm. Some jurisdictions (Florida) extend the castle doctrine to your conveyance as well. But you must show the imminent fear of death or serious bodily harm.

How do you like the m21. I have a S&W 329 PD in .44 mag. I love shooting 44 special through it. Not so much .44 mag.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Holly crap! In the Netherlands we are in trouble when we carry a knife!
Somebody caught a thief in his house at night and beat him up.
He got a 750€ fine. next time he does this, he has to go to jail for 6 months.

When i catch a thief, he will never be found again :cool:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Texas:

§ 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is
justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or
tangible, movable property:
(1) if he would be justified in using force against the
other under Section 9.41; and
(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the
deadly force is immediately necessary:
(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of
arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the
nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing
immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated
robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the
property; and
(3) he reasonably believes that:
(A) the land or property cannot be protected or
recovered by any other means; or
(B) the use of force other than deadly force to
protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or
another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Post section 9.41 please.

·
Registered
205 Posts
§ 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY. (a) A person in
lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is
justified in using force against another when and to the degree the
actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to
prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful
interference with the property.
(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible,
movable property by another is justified in using force against the
other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force
is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the
property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit
after the dispossession and:
(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no
claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or
(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using
force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOOOOOVE my 21. It's not the Thunder Ranch, which I was looking for, but it may be the most accurate revolver I've ever encountered. I also have a Ruger SuperRedhawk .44 and a Colt King Cobra .357. And if I owned a 329, it'd live on a diet of Specials, too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's funny watching the banner ads at the top of th page change based on the thread I'm reading. For example the nail in the tire thread I saw Michelin, Pirreli and Bridgestone run flat ads. For this one thread it keeps popping up with bail bonds, I found that to be a bit amusing.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What if you just shoot out their knee caps... That isn't lethal force, it's just crippling force. I shoot for the knees.
LOL - I would just make them do the Moonwalk!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I picked up my FZ from the dealer it probably took a full 30 seconds to a minute to figure out how the start button worked. Fortunatly I haven't done much crack lately and was spared the embarassment of having to ask how to start my new bike:)

Seriously though, you showed great restriant in dealing with the low-life. Taking out anyone, even a total P.O.S. over a motorcycle, though tempting, is way more hassel than it's worth to the shooter. It's why we buy insurance. I typically carry a S&W 641 scandium in a pocket holster. Easy to carry but painful to shoot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts