Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation. I bought my FZ-09 during the winter months and was only able to log a handful of miles before I had to garage it, more than likely for a few months. During this time I'm putting together a list of things I'd like to do to the bike when it comes out of storage.

First things first: Woodcraft frame sliders, a windscreen, and barkbuster handguards. I do eventually plan on having suspension work done to it but that's pretty far off into the future. I want to emphasize the "motard-ness" of the bike! =)

I'm focusing on fitness, video games, and spending a lot of time with my sister and her kids as they lost their husband/father on New Years.

Keep this thread alive with your intentions on what you plan to have done to your bike the moment it comes out of winter storage and you can actually log those break-in miles, and what you're doing to deal with PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome) in the mean time! =)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Taking time to focus on family and being the solid brother/uncle is quite noble; losing their husband/father must be devastating. Good on you for being there.

I will definitely endorse the Woodcraft frame sliders, installed over the weekend. I am also interested in a small screen of some kind. Lots of new products are appearing on the Cee Bailey's web site. They assured me something is coming soon for the FZ-09 but didn't commit to a specific date.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taking time to focus on family and being the solid brother/uncle is quite noble; losing their husband/father must be devastating. Good on you for being there.

I will definitely endorse the Woodcraft frame sliders, installed over the weekend. I am also interested in a small screen of some kind. Lots of new products are appearing on the Cee Bailey's web site. They assured me something is coming soon for the FZ-09 but didn't commit to a specific date.
Woodcraft sliders were what I had on my ZX6R. And after finding out they also make a pair for the FZ there is no other brand I would put on. Plus the fact that I can get them through Stoltec (a business I would like to support) adds to it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why wait for good weather? Put an electric or kerosene heater in your garage and get it ready for the first warm days.
Generally I will ride whenever the temps consistently start getting above 40 for a few days in a row. But it looks like that's not going to happen for a good long time, which is very unusual for us. We normally don't go more than 2 weeks at a time during the winter before you get a string of days warm enough to bust out the bike.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
my bike is in my brothers garage ( i don't have a garage at my house), luckily he has a pretty sweet garage and a propane heater so i've been modding all winter long baby!

I have tank pads sitting on my desk from Stoltec and Woodcraft Frame sliders on the way this week. Will install all of this, this weekend.

Likely will replace the current mirrors with bar end mirrors before the season starts.

Once the season gets going, i'm riding down to Stoltec to get the ECU flash and suspension redone and then im going to ride the shit out of this thing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Besides the mra windscreen being on back order mine is ready to go. I'm trucking to California in a month. Sick of this shit.

Already on:
Bark busters
stainless front lines
.90 front springs and 10w oil
Air horn
shorty levers
radar detector
gps wired in
power distribution block
sw motech quick adaptor ring for 25L tank bag

all the stuff here...more or less:fz9 ? Search Results ? thetenerist

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Besides the mra windscreen being on back order mine is ready to go. I'm trucking to California in a month. Sick of this shit.

Already on:
Bark busters
stainless front lines
.90 front springs and 10w oil
Air horn
shorty levers
radar detector
gps wired in
power distribution block
sw motech quick adaptor ring for 25L tank bag

all the stuff here...more or less:fz9 ? Search Results ? thetenerist
Those barkbusters look sweet. Those are what I'm looking into.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Mine is in "winter storage" at the dealership while I sort out house mortgage financing stuff, but I have plenty of mods I bought for my first fz-09 just awaiting usage:

T-Rex Stands
T-Rex Complete Protection Kit
Stoltec sourced Penske 8900E rear shock, drop in fork springs
Spiegler SS Brake Lines
Zeta Handguards with LEDs
Flush-mount front blinkers
Michelin Pilot Road 4's
SeatConcepts replacement seat cover & cushion
Oxford Heaterz Sport heated grips

Ordered:
Hurtzdonut's tail-light mod
Rabbitman09's HID headlight mod

Planned:
All Ermax kit (except belly pan), windscreen first
Some touring gear for cargo
Some sort of power relay system, either Fuzeblock or Eastern Beaver PC-8 (not sure which, yet, need to research more)
Mounts/power sources for my phone, Valentine one, and/or potentially a dedicated GPS.

·
Registered
206 Posts
thanks tiny g.
I had the mug too but broke it. luckily I hung on to my red swingline stapler :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
How about that! I also have an MRA on backorder. That doesn't stop me from riding. Even with cold weather, including freezing rain, there is almost always a couple of days a week when the temperature tops 55 degsF (my personal minimum); Another of several advantages of living in the Houston, Texas area. I am originally from Kansas and I prefer Houston.

Ed

·
Registered
206 Posts
I like your "Jump to Conclusions" poster. Reminds me of Office Space back in the 90s.
wait a minute... Office space was filmed in the 2000's:)

Awesome movie.

Yep, TT originally said the screens will be in first week of feb. Pushed back to 1st or 2nd week of march. oh well, no issues here.
I'll do a proper ride in a month (roughly 500km of twisties a day for 7 days straight), see how it treats me without the screen.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have a few things I really want to do. ASV shorty levers, R+G tail tidy, rizoma signals, etc. picked up a nice dainese jacket for summer too. I've started to focus on my old '74 RD200 that I now have in a million pieces. I have new pistons on the way and the cylinders will be sent off to be machined in the next couple of weeks. As much as I love my 09, there's something great about putting around the city on that little bike and I really miss it.

I'm also absolutely sick of winter. Looks like Tennessee will see some Spring weather starting next Monday, the day I fly into Detroit......

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Necroing this old thread to see how my progress came along: I've gotten everything in my original mod list (and then some) done, except for the handguards, which I may or may not end up doing. Heated glove liners have removed their functional value and if I ever do get them done it would be a strictly style thing. The bike in its current state has the following:

(Mods in order that I had them done)
Techspec Snakeskin tank pads
Woodcraft Frame & Swingarm sliders
Sonic Springs .90 + 7.5 wt oil
Penske 8983 shock
Progrip 699 grips
MRA Double Bubble Windscreen
vcyclenut flash

Over the course of this winter I am looking at investing in Pro Taper Carmichael bars and possibly a Seat Concepts seat, and MAYBE switching out my Woodcraft sliders for a complete set of OES units but undecided on that. Aside from that everything is going towards gear to prep for track days coming up in 2015.

·
Registered
612 Posts
This winter I plan to get the following:

SS brake lines
Öhlins rear shock
Affordable HID retrofit headlight
New custom made seat

Later in the year I'll probably get some Matris fork cartridges, possibly next winter..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts