Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After being on this forum for a few years now, I know we have our fair share of not quite right participants, me being right there with the best (worst?) of them. I've started planning a road trip down to Virginia to ride the Back of The Dragon loop. It's about a 12 hour trip from here in Massachusetts. I was trying to figure out how to break up the ride down and back and then a plan started taking shape in my demented brain.

Follow me here.....I'm originally from NJ. I lived there for my first 40 years. There is a publication that began there called Weird New Jersey. I knew a lot of these places and always got a laugh out of it. There subsequently have been other "Weird ____ " books. I also like the oddball roadside attractions that you see all over the country. For instance, in the summer of 2019 while riding down RT 66 in California, I looked over and saw Elmers Bottle Ranch and also drove by Randy's Donuts in LA. I love stuff like that....weird advertizing and roadside kitsch and general weird and unusual stuff. It's all over the country and I'm sure the rest of the world. So I thought, let me look at the map and see how many of these things I can find between Massachusetts and Virginia and I will stop and take a picture of my bike in front of them.
And then it hit me, I should try and enroll these maniacs on the FZ09 forum and we should turn it into a contest. Figure out some absurd prize and see who could, within a certain time period, come up with the most photos of their bike in front of ridiculous and fun road side oddities. and attractions. Here are some examples:
bottletreeranch16.JPG Randys-Donuts.jpg fixedw_large_4x.jpg atwmm2.jpg ScreenShot2014-04-23at10.34.32AM.png

First off, are there any other like minded nuts that would be into this? If so, we need some input from others and maybe even a moderator or 2 could help out. Figure out some rules, a prize and a time frame. An informal contest and that has to be on the honor system and keep it fun. We've been shut down for the last year and it's time to break out with a absurd and futile gesture.

This is what I'm thinking.
1. Say we go from April 1 until Labor day.
2. Bikes are limited to Yamaha MT (03,07,09,10, Tracer and XSR900).
3. No previous photos. They have to be taken within the given dates. Photo dates and locations have to be noted.
4. It has to be of the type shown above or it starts becoming like a rock in someone's
neighborhood that looks like Jesus or a water stain on a wall that looks like John
Travolta. I'm posting this picture as an example (although if you're the first to ride out
there, the examples are fair game as long as there's an MT in the picture.) The Buddy
Holly crash site memorial sign is good because it has odd / unusual artwork
attached. An actual site with some historic significance like this but with just a sign and
nothing odd, unusual in the spirit of the contest is a no go. Almost all of these were made
to attract attention.
memorial-for-those-that.jpg
5. Group consensus rules as to pictures allowed. 2 people give a thumbs down then picture has to be deleted.
6. There are a lot of those types of statues like the Paul Bunyon and Bob's Big Boy around. They should all be allowed with a unique location noted. Whoever posts first carries the picture. Duplicates in different locations are ok.
7. Well known or obscure should be good and not limited to the USA. This should be international absurdity.
8. Most photos wins but maybe by group consensus we could award most weird also.
9. Prize to be determined.
10. I'm not even sure they'd let us do this on this site but if anyone has any ins or contacts please jump right in. If we could get their help to keep it organized, all the more cool.
11. I'm not looking to be the ringleader but I will or I'm happy to let someone else do it. Any and all ideas are welcome. Let's just try not to over complicate it. If it goes, we'll post the formal rules on a new thread that begins on our start date and people just start posting. Maybe we'll keep a leader board.
12. If someone jumps out to a commanding lead, let's keep it going in the spirit of fun. I like having something motorcycle related to look at every day. This is also a good excuse to plan some road trips. It's also a good excuse to talk to other like minded motorcycle maniacs.
13. If there's no interest, let me know so I don't embarrass myself beating a dead horse.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
968 Posts
I always get the come on dad we can look this dumb stuff up on the computer. As an avid drive vs flyer I love this stuff my dad got me into these as well as a more brazen game of "odd laws" where we would try to see if any cops would bite. I cheated and won as the only one arrested (by my partner at the time lol) there were no rules so a win is a win. Luckily he didnt show for court;)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I will definitely keep this in mind. There are a couple places around here that are interesting.
Growing up, my father taught me how to drive in an 1971 VW Beetle. He used that thing as a utilitarian vehicle by removing the front passenger seat. He'd haul around lawn mowers and all sorts of stuff. He put a milk crate on the floor on the passenger side so he could sit next to me while we scooted around on my Opa's backyard.

There's a diner near me that has a VW beetle on the wall... I should go get a pic. Here's one from the internet.

Reactions: Screan29

·
Registered
147 Posts
We did something similar to this on the R1 Forum about 10 years ago. But it was more of a scavenger hunt with the bikes. This seems like it'll be fun too.

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definitely keep this in mind. There are a couple places around here that are interesting.
Growing up, my father taught me how to drive in an 1971 VW Beetle. He used that thing as a utilitarian vehicle by removing the front passenger seat. He'd haul around lawn mowers and all sorts of stuff. He put a milk crate on the floor on the passenger side so he could sit next to me while we scooted around on my Opa's backyard.

There's a diner near me that has a VW beetle on the wall... I should go get a pic. Here's one from the internet.

View attachment 163381
View attachment 163382
Don't post pictures. Save them for the contest if we do it.

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,485 Posts
I don’t really have the time to compete for the title, but I’ll try to post stuff when I can. I can think of a few good picture opportunities around here. Cool idea!

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,485 Posts
Damn.......I was hoping for a little more weirdness here.
Well, maybe nobody wants to do a contest... But it still might be fun to start a new picture thread for just this kind of thing. I took a couple of pics today that I think would fit the bill.

Why don’t you create a thread, Chester, since it was your idea?

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The response was underwhelming but I'm game. What should we name the thread so that it gets enough attention to keep going?

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before I was interupted by a total knee replacement 5 weeks ago today, I couldn't follow through with my plans to get some pictures in front of some weird stuff. I'm back. I sold a set of K-Tech fork springs today and told the guy to meet me at the milk bottle. We live over an hour away from each other and he knew exactly where I meant without any conversation. I love this thing and love all the oddball stuff you see in your travels. Here's my first offering.........can any of you do any better or are we just gonna endlessly talk about the most comfortable seat. It's about riding, not how good your ass feels.

20210513_174548.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I guess I'm the only one in the game. I'm winning. I can't ride for more than about 20 minutes on my new knee without major pain so riding on the highway is still difficult. Nonetheless, I rode down to North Kingstown RI to the Seabee museum just to get this picture. It's weird and cool.

I ran in to a group of riders on Rt 95 coming home. One guy on a Suzuki Hayabusa decided he wanted to get a little racey with me so he passed me and took off. As that's supposed to be such a legendary fast bike, I was curious to see if I could keep up on my MT 10. To my surprise I didn't have any trouble keeping up. We got up to the low 140s mph range. I seriously thought he's piss all over me. I ended up passing him on a big sweeping turn where handling is more important that motor. He didn't come after me after that. He caught me as I slowed down for my exit and we waved. The rest of his group was probably 3 miles behind. He probably had more but we were going pretty good for about 5 miles. Big fun.

20210515_171303.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Yamaha MT 10
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I guess I'm just playing with myself. Won't be the first time. This is a pest control company in Providence,RI and this is
their sign on RT 95. I had to lay on the ground to get the bike and the bug in the picture.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts