Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the seat supposed to be a little loose on the back end where a passenger sit's .I keep taking it off to see if it's latching right but I can't see any where it can be it seems to be on but I did'nt really pay attention the first time I took it off to see if it was that way to begin with.
Any help is apprecitated .Doug

·
Registered
19 Posts
mine isslightlyloose,but you can hear a definite click when it engages. I also got the SEATING CONCEPTS upgrade kit of foam pad and cover. It rocks. MUCH more comfortable and doesn't make you slide to the tank.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mine isslightlyloose,but you can hear a definite click when it engages. I also got the SEATING CONCEPTS upgrade kit of foam pad and cover. It rocks. MUCH more comfortable and doesn't make you slide to the tank.
Correct I hear mine click also okay thank you ya that's one more upgrade I'm looking at.Pretty soon this cheap bike going to be and expensive one just like all the rest ha ha.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I have noticed my seat is really loose front and rear. The front notch is under the tank bracket catch. Not sure what else to call it, but I think you know what I mean. The seat has a plastic protrusion that slides into the notch thingy and the rear is latching but there is a gap at the rear and I can lift the front of the seat at least an inch. I've taken it apart and looked for some other bracket or catch point but everything seems to be in order. Anyone else experiencing this or have any advice of something I'm doing wrong.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You need taller seat grommets or do what i did yesterday to raise the seat slightly. It feels more solid now. See my post yesterday in thread titled "what have you done to your bike today"

·
Registered
670 Posts
Take an old inner tube and make two 8" strips 3/8" wide. Wrap these, tight, around the horizontal part of the wire seat stays protruding from the frame (where the side seat hooks engage with the bike). Secure the wrap with a cable tie.

Loose seat problem solved.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Well I did some things different to the seat I did use orangeblaze idea of using chair end pads.But I kept having one the grommets fall out so I bought some different ones that have a groove in the middle they stay more secure.To get rid of the right side being loose I bought a tension pin widened it pressed it on and that worked perfect.It still moves a little up and down on that that side still but not nearly as bad.See photos below.I'm sure there are other ways to do this stuff but I found this to work for me if this helps great :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
This seat "bedding" quality pisses me off quite frankly. Within my first week of ownership, 1 of the front and 1 of the rear rubber bumpers fell out and got lost. The Dealer parts guys ordered new ones but they have yet to come in (2 months maybe). They did find other ones that temporarily worked but those fell out too. I'm presently looking for the best option to tighten this up but I really think Yamaha overlooked this one. Don't get me wrong, its not a major item by any means and is overshadowed by all the positives of the bike but this would be a definite item to go in my thread entry of "what do you HATE about your FZ-09".

My temporary fix was to go through a faucet washer set, find the right diameter and height and then used duct tape to hold them to contact point on the bike rather than to the front bottom of the seat. Yes, 2 weeks into a new bike and it is sporting high speed duct tape. I like the tension pin idea to take up the space btw.

Just sharing a rant/experience with the rest of you. :)

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I was "modding" my seat last night, added chair leg pads to the frame near the tank where the seat rubber nubs rest, and that fixed the play nicely, but I noticed something else. The seat has play in the middle, right about where the centre large rubber nubs are, but the right side of the seat sits higher than the left. The left side is nice and flush with the frame and plastic fairing bit, but the right side has a gap that you could stick your fingers through if you really tried. Does anybody else have this? I couldn't find anything binding that would cause one side to be higher...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts