Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my long distance rides I love to listen to music. Never in city traffic, though. I use Bose noise cancelling earbuds (fantastic btw) connected via a bluetooth gizmo to my iphone. I like Pandora. And my favorite station is John O'Callaghan Radio. Nice riding music in a 2008 boots and pants sort of way. Check it out.

What do you listen to?

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
I honestly don't ever listen to music while riding, although if I did a lot of long distance stuff in an area where there isn't much traffic, I might try it. Otherwise, I'm busy shifting my body left and right and going through the twisty stuff of E. TN, N. GA, and N.C.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly don't ever listen to music while riding, although if I did a lot of long distance stuff in an area where there isn't much traffic, I might try it. Otherwise, I'm busy shifting my body left and right and going through the twisty stuff of E. TN, N. GA, and N.C.
I love distance riding. Here's a video of last summer going through Crater lake National Park.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Good stuff. I've done a lot of long distance MC travel all over the UIS and Canada. Unfortunately, my wife is unable to do that anymore due to age-related problems. Back in 1969, a friend and his wife rode from Houston, Tx to Crater Lake on his Trumph Bonneville. When he got back, he showed us all the slides. I believe he stopped every 30 ft to take a picture. Enough is enough.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
On my long distance rides I love to listen to music. Never in city traffic, though. I use Bose noise cancelling earbuds (fantastic btw) connected via a bluetooth gizmo to my iphone. I like Pandora. And my favorite station is John O'Callaghan Radio. Nice riding music in a 2008 boots and pants sort of way. Check it out.

What do you listen to?
Just listened to some O'Callaghan and wasn't for me. Disco trance for hours on end would make me head on some canyon wall. I prefer no music, but noise canceling is a plus. I have it on my old Sony Walkman MP3 player plus a lot of custom compilations. My taste is pretty eclectic and strange like my sense of humor ;-/

Over the years I've downloaded and compiled a ton of music from WMSE in Milwaukee. They have a great variety of programming that they archive for streaming and downloading. Nice free source, if you like any of their styles. All it takes is hours of your free time. One of my past jobs was being on call, so I spent a lot of time at my desk building music files. Can't beat getting paid for it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I never listen to music while riding but this is what I'd be listening to if I did.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
835 Posts
The Metal!

Exhumed
Decapitated
Vital Remains
Suffocation
Skinless
Gorguts
Nile
Vader
Malevolent Creation
Cattle Decapitation
Morbid Angel
Atheist
Behemoth
Deeds of Flesh
Bloodbath
Dying Fetus
Cephalic Carnage
Necrophagist
Monstrosity
Jungle Rot

to name a few...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Lately I've been on a Steel Panther kick.

Bands I listen to while riding
Volbeat
Five Finger Death Punch
Tritium
Avenged Sevenfold
Anthrax
Metallica
Megadeth
Within Temptation
Black Veil Brides
Disturbed
Iron Maiden

Thread I statrted on this topice last month: http://www.fz09.org/forum/11-off-topic/6036-riding-tunes.html

·
Registered
511 Posts
All day on repeat

Man are you a sick puppy! I don't listen while riding but there's music in my head. Volbeat is good but lately it's been "Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Volume 1". 10cc "I'm Not In Love" and Norman Greenbaum "Spirit In The Sky". Must be showing my age. I usually buy cd's from Amazon and they put the mp3 version on the "cloud" for me to download. Of course there's always Bush "Machine Head"!

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you like Pandora, I highly recommend trying out Spotify. It's highly customizable and you can choose what your radio station plays if you go that route. However I choose to create playlists. They have a massive database.

I usually jam CCR, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc. I have the Sena Bluetooth system so I just crank up the volume and wear earplugs on long trips. The sound quality is acceptable and I don't have to worry about earbuds falling out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I didn't mind the speakers that came with my Sena but after a while they made my ears sore. I switched to earbuds, the sound quality is great.

Lately on longer rides I been listening to some good instrumentals from Odesza, Moby, Daft Punk, Approaching Nirvana, Aydio. Hell I was even listening to Bill Burrs latest comedy special the other day.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I ride I don't want music I have to listen to. I want background music. If I concentrate on the strings or woodwinds in a work by Handel or Vivaldi while riding it's taking away from my attention to the road. Also I want music I've never heard before not the same old stuff I've been listening to since the Nixon administration. Fresh background music which has a sense of motion and clarity. Something like this. But in this example you can start at the 3:00 mark.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
No thanks, no music while riding, the sound of the bike, scenery and what's going on around me is all the music I need. Riding time is Un-plugged time in my books, but each is to their own. If you want music then go for it, but the second it makes you take your attention of what you are doing???

·
Registered
92 Posts
No thanks, no music while riding, the sound of the bike, scenery and what's going on around me is all the music I need. Riding time is Un-plugged time in my books, but each is to their own. If you want music then go for it, but the second it makes you take your attention of what you are doing???
I agree the sound of the bike is part of the riding experience. That being said, riding a couple of hundred miles of boring super slab is enough for me to lose my focus. Music actually helps me enjoy the ride and stay focused. It should be background music, although I've been known to tap a foot or bop my head when something great comes on. I have Sirius XM set up on my S10 and its great. On my FZ, Pandora is also fine. It's great reading a post like this that shows how we all have different riding preferences and such different tastes in music. One thing that is the common thread is the awesome bike we all have chosen to ride. Very cool.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fz09r: +1 on steel panther
Drewski: +1 on spotify, its a great deal!

I actually listen to audio books and podcasts when im on long rides or sitting in traffic (along with music every now and then) i use regular "sport" style head phones (the ones that wrap around your ear) i have bluetooth built into my helmet, but the speakers arent loud enough to hear an audio book at highway speed, just music. Let me ask you noise canceling headphones guys: how good are these things? Can you hear talk radio at highway sppeds, give me an idea of what you paid and what the best brand is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts