Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday I finally got a chance to sit on an FZ for a good long time, and the legroom is just fantastic. I'm 6 foot 2 inches and ride a Honda Hawk GT, so I'm used to being folded up! The FZ is just astoundingly comfortable to me; the dealer also had a CB1000R on the showroom floor (never saw one before in the flesh), and the FZ felt much roomier. And of course, it also felt a lot lighter, just bouncing the bike back and forth betwen my legs. I'd had a bit of a lust for the CB, but the FZ feels so much better to sit on and it costs thousands less.

Honestly, I do think the FZ is far and away the most desirable bike on the market today. And I still don't have one yet...sniff.

Congrats to "Pat" whose name was on the pre-sold red FZ I sat on at the dealer in Richland Center, WI!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i thought the room on my SV was great at 6`0, but man did this bike make it even better. Couldn't agree more, although i've found it a little harder to use the rear brake pedal vs. my SV. I've only gotten 100 miles on it so far with the weather but i'm sure this won't be a problem after riding it more.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
beck, have you adjusted the brake pedal?
I haven't, I actually just got my bike manual after my wife said it came in the mail 3 weeks ago and never told me :)

For me it's too close to the bike and i'd like it a bit farther out - I feel a bit like an idiot for not knowing it's adjustable but i'm assuming based on your comment it is - is it in the manual or is there a post about this?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Once you get that FZ 09, there are some great roads around that Richland Center area.
You can ride for days, and not do the same road twice!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
For me it's too close to the bike and i'd like it a bit farther out - I feel a bit like an idiot for not knowing it's adjustable but i'm assuming based on your comment it is - is it in the manual or is there a post about this?
the brake pedal is adjustable for height (it's in the manual), but not for how far it sticks out.

i've had the same issue as you - i'm not used to having to toe-in my foot so far to reach it, but it's something you eventually adjust to.

p.s. the rear brake on the 09 has a LOT of initial bite. i switched out the pads to ebc organics (fa174) to soften it a bit.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Saturday I finally got a chance to sit on an FZ for a good long time, and the legroom is just fantastic.
The leg room, and the seating position generally, was the clincher for me. I haven't been on a lot of motorcycles, but enough to determine that seating position is every bit as important as the engine and probably any other feature.

The FZ-09 nailed so many requirements for me right off the showroom, leaving room for reasonably priced improvements when and where desired, that I have no buyer's remorse and no interest in buying any other motorcycle.

I hope to be reading about a new FZ-09 for you in the near future! Although "Pat" will get the one you saw; your name should be on another one soon enough!

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just installed Knight Designs 1" lowering pegs to give even more legroom and a substantially fatter footrest in gold anodized(matches the forks)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I took a ride on my Hawk GT while my ECU was being re-flashed, and after 19 years of ownership, it felt cramped after having been on the FZ for a few weeks without riding the Hawk. Power is nothing compared to the FZ, but the ride and handling are far superior on the Hawk. The FZ never feels settled if there are bumps through the turns. The Hawk is on rails while the FZ moves all around. And don't even think about touching the front brake on the FZ through a turn as the front dives and tucks quickly. My shock and fork springs arrive this week (and stainless front lines) so hopefully I have time this coming weekend to install both. I think brake pads with less inital bite are next- suggestions as to brand/compound?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think brake pads with less inital bite are next- suggestions as to brand/compound?
i agree with v2bob about getting the suspension sorted before deciding the front pads have too much bite.

that said, ebc organic non-hh and performance friction 95 compound pads have soft initial bite.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hawk GT makes maybe 40 HP,if you added 70 HP it wouldn't handle so sweet.
HP doesn't make a difference through a corner until you accelerate out. Go through a turn and hit a bump on the FZ and it will go off your line- by quite a bit if it's a fast turn. Same turn, same speed on the Hawk and I don't even think about it. Maybe the suspension isn't consistent between FZ's, but on mine, it is scary. I've been street riding for 40 years now and have not had this much of an issue before.

As for brakes, I'd prefer softer initial bite than what the bike has now regardless of the weak front springs. Perhaps because I have my other bikes that have much less initial bite, it's too much adaptation to get used to the FZ brakes unless I only ride that. Bad enough that the horn button is more where the turn signal switches are on my other bikes. Less initial bite and more progressive braking is another thing I'm looking for.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's what I'm hoping. I installed a Progressive Suspension 415 remote rear shock on my Hawk about 17 years and 30k+ miles ago, and Race Tech Emulators and Progressive springs about 10 years ago so it's modified quite a bit. Rear is probably a bit soft, but overall it's the best handling bike that I've ever ridden- not that I've had that many bikes, but my roots go back to my '74 RD350, followed by a '77 GS550, then an '82 FT500 for a short time until buying the Hawk. Still have the Hawk, bought an '86 SRX600 in 2004, and two years ago bought a '76 XS650. FZ is the first new bike since the GS. Bikes since the Hawk are still in the garage and will remain there for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I took a ride on my Hawk GT while my ECU was being re-flashed, and after 19 years of ownership, it felt cramped after having been on the FZ for a few weeks without riding the Hawk. Power is nothing compared to the FZ, but the ride and handling are far superior on the Hawk. The FZ never feels settled if there are bumps through the turns. The Hawk is on rails while the FZ moves all around. And don't even think about touching the front brake on the FZ through a turn as the front dives and tucks quickly. My shock and fork springs arrive this week (and stainless front lines) so hopefully I have time this coming weekend to install both. I think brake pads with less inital bite are next- suggestions as to brand/compound?

Stuart, it will be very interesting to get your ride impressions after your shock and fork spring change and with our great weather you won't have to wait to try it out. If I weren't preoccupied with my fathers serious health issues, I'd try to wrangle an invite out of you to come over and watch (help) with your suspension upgrades, have fun.

Yoyodyne, it's nice to hear the FZ has good ergo's for larger guys, at my 5'9" 150# fighting wt., I'd probably need a seat cushion to see over the bars but my power to wt. ratio would be great...

·
Registered
233 Posts
5'9" is plenty tall- my height although I have 30# on you. Suspension may not be too bad for you although I think even at 150# you'll need stiffer fork springs and heavier fork oil. The FZ feels like you're riding a dirt bike- feet close together, legs not cramped, tall bars- but a dirt bike with a giant electric motor. I always liked the torque on the Hawk, but it pales in comparison with the torque of the FZ.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Compared to the EBC HH pads how much lever pressure does it take to lift the rear wheel?
the non-hh ebc's have overall less bite so will require a bit more lever pressure, but the pf95's are very close to the ebc hh's with the difference being the softer initial bite. performance friction has a few other compounds with different degrees of initial bite so it's just a matter of finding one you like.

the downside of the pf95's is that they generate quite a bit of black brake dust.

vesrah has two srjl compounds that have relatively soft initial bite but build up to massive bite with enough heat in them. a bit better suited for the track than the street, plus they're very pricey.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts