Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled the trigger and ordered a single D2S Projector kit with a 5000k 35w bulb from theretrosource. I wanted to do this for the longest but never tackled such project that involves retrofiting a projector light into a standard halogen housing. After many videos from youtube, I knew it wouldn't be too hard. I've cracked many headlight before to paint the surround black etc. I will be posting pictures as I go. so far, I am on my 3rd coat of painting the shroud and the headlight semi black. Tomorrow I will install the projector in the headlight and hopefully seal it all together. I am not doing any fancy halos or led light, i just want a simple light with a better lighting source. I wanted to post some pics of the progress, because I couldn't find anything on the forum except for finished results of the headlights. I hope this helps others in the future ....

TO ANY ONE TRYING TO SPEPARATE THE LENS FROM THE HEADLIGHT. THE PLASTIC PIECE AROUND THE LENS DOES NOT COME OFF UNTIL THE LENS IS SEPARATED. ONLY THEN IT CAN BE UNSCREWED FROM THE INSIDE.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
4th coat is applied. gonna let it cure over night, and then mount the projector and shroud.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paint was getting pretty dry and I installed the projector. a little hole had to be drilled to pass 2 wires through (these 2 wires are for low and high beam switch)

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would encourage you to fit your headlight to the bike before you put the lens on and adjust the headlight. Then try fitting the lens.

I did this to my bike soon after I got it in January and after adjusting the headlight beam I could not fit the lens on the housing/bowl without interference between the lens and projector. I had to significantly modify the headlight bowl so that everything would fit correctly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would encourage you to fit your headlight to the bike before you put the lens on and adjust the headlight. Then try fitting the lens.

I did this to my bike soon after I got it in January and after adjusting the headlight beam I could not fit the lens on the housing/bowl without interference between the lens and projector. I had to significantly modify the headlight bowl so that everything would fit correctly.
thanks for the tip. I am in the same situation as you've described. I had to remodiy the headlight bowl more for the projector to be more dropped in, but its still hitting the headlight cover when put back on and that's with at least 1/2" not fully pressed in.

here's some pics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, unfortunately the only way I was able to get mine to fit was to Dremel out a lot more material from the bowl. I was able to Dremel out enough material to have ~1/2" clearance between the projector and lens once fully assembled. Note that once you do that you will not be able to use the big nut to secure the projector to the back of the bowl. My projector is held in with epoxy.

Goodluck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, unfortunately the only way I was able to get mine to fit was to Dremel out a lot more material from the bowl. I was able to Dremel out enough material to have ~1/2" clearance between the projector and lens once fully assembled. Note that once you do that you will not be able to use the big nut to secure the projector to the back of the bowl. My projector is held in with epoxy.

Goodluck!
how did you make sure your cut off was perfectly lined up before epoxying it? did you epoxy from the inside of the bowl as well, or just the outside?

·
Registered
6 Posts
how did you make sure your cut off was perfectly lined up before epoxying it? did you epoxy from the inside of the bowl as well, or just the outside?
Put the headlight on a level surface facing a wall. Shine a very bright light in the back of the projector and you will see the cutoff on the wall. It is not an ideal solution, but it will work.

As for the epoxy, I used JB Weld SteelStik and QuickWeld. Place the SteelStik on the projector and stick in the bowl. I placed more SteelStik on the backside of the bowl and formed it to the projector. Once that is set-up, I used some QuickWeld just to be safe.

You will have a few minutes to line up the cutoff before the SteelStik hardens. The shroud will hide any remnants of the epoxy. Keep in mind that you may have to modify the shroud to fit in the bowl now that the projector sits way back.

Goodluck! It is a lot of work to get everything to fit together and look good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Put the headlight on a level surface facing a wall. Shine a very bright light in the back of the projector and you will see the cutoff on the wall. It is not an ideal solution, but it will work.

As for the epoxy, I used JB Weld SteelStik and QuickWeld. Place the SteelStik on the projector and stick in the bowl. I placed more SteelStik on the backside of the bowl and formed it to the projector. Once that is set-up, I used some QuickWeld just to be safe.

You will have a few minutes to line up the cutoff before the SteelStik hardens. The shroud will hide any remnants of the epoxy. Keep in mind that you may have to modify the shroud to fit in the bowl now that the projector sits way back.

Goodluck! It is a lot of work to get everything to fit together and look good.
awesome. thanks for a great explanation. I will follow up with some results lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got some good progress today. i cut out a bigger opening to deepen the projector into the headlight bowl, used some JB putty and formed it around the projector. made sure the light beam had a perfect horizontal light cut off. I'm about to use some regular JB quick weld epoxy to assure a good grip. Thanks TheSasquatch

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
few coats of new paint and the bowl got assembled back into the housing. I tried putting the lens back on to see how much clearance I gained and it'll be around 1/2" once the lens is fully pushed back in.

before

after

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yesterday I baked the headlight and assembled everything together. what took the longest was trying to figure out the cleanest way of running the wiring. I hid the load capacitor inside the fake air scoop, and then ran rest of the wires to the headlight. Ballast is currently ziptied at the bottom of the lower tripple but soon will make a nice bracket, like someone did when installing a CREE bulb. Everything works great, Just needs a proper adjustment.

Pics...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After a long time I finally cleaned up the wiring harness. I still need to get some black zip ties or do a custom bracket for the ballast. The igniter ballast is hidden next to the fuse box inside the fake air cowl to minimize the amount of clutter from the wiring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
just wonder if you have any picture of the back of the headlight housing, just wanna see how you glued the projector tot he bowl. thx.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Also, how did you separate the headlight? Did you move few screws and a little oven time? Thanks in advance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts