Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep... I'm full of opinions today.

The FZ-07: I have not test drove the new release by Yamaha, but I have sat on two of them on two different occasions at two different dealers. The first was red and the second was white which is the one I sat on today. I was at the dealer to get oil and a filter. The white fz-07 was right there at the main entrance parked in such a way that you were forced to walk around it and that is exactly what I did. Because, I didn't realize it was there until the guy at the parts counter asked my how I liked the FZ-09 and and mentioned that they had the FZ-07 in white. I said "really, where?" He said you passed it at the front door. So I went back and to me it does not pop like the FZ-09 did. I thought the same thing about the red one as well, and now Its confirmed that the FZ-07 does not attract me based on appearance. As far as ergonomics and ride I cannot tell much from sitting on the bike. I can say it feels too narrow. The bike reminds me of the Honda NC700 series (not that that's bad but just plain)

31 ft/lbs seams like a lot: So I decided to my own oil changes from now on. I didn't do them because I figured I'd let the shop do it. they have the tools, a lift, and are in the work mode to do it quick. that last word is the one that got me as well as the post about the nightmare service. That still gives me nightmares as the tittle suggested it would. So I posed the question about torquing the drain bolt and the need for a torque wrench. Im very handy and mechanically inclined but never had a need for a torque wrench. I was racking my brain to figure out how i could just get my hands on one and torque something to 31ft/lbs to, you know, calibrate my arm. I would then have a proper arm setting to go forward with. Then I thought well When I apply my calibrated arm to the bike drain bolt its going to be in an awkward position and the calibration may be off. So I found justification to purchase a torque wrench. I mean I was going to be paying the shop $$$ to do the work form me, so I may as well use that $ and invest on the tools that will allow me to do it with peace of mind that its right and done with love:eek:

So I came home and familiarized myself with the craftsman micro clicker torque wrench by, well, torquing some bolts.

I then performed an experiment. I tried to tighten a few bolts mounted in a vise to the proper torque with a plain socked wrench. I tightened these to what I thought I would do to the drain bolt. I even tried to find 17mm bolts but I only had 15mm so oh well...I then applied the torque wrench with the lowest setting working my way up until I began adding (tightening) the bolts. The results were very interesting. I torqued the bolts by hand with only the plain socket wrench to 22 to 25 ft/lbs. I then added the proper torque (31ft/lbs) to those bolts and then did it again from completely loose positions.

Now I think 31 ft/lbs as a lot and I worry about stripping the pan threads on the bike. I know its just my opinion but I wanted to know. I'm sure a good hand tightening on the drain bolt would have sufficed and does for many others. I'm anal and want to know, which now I do and I'm not any better for the new found wisdom!

·
Registered
200 Posts
31 is a lot for that bolt. I did 24 this last time and I still think it is too much. Going to back it down to 20 or so on the next oil change

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yep... I'm full of opinions today.

The FZ-07: I have not test drove the new release by Yamaha, but I have sat on two of them on two different occasions at two different dealers. The first was red and the second was white which is the one I sat on today. I was at the dealer to get oil and a filter. The white fz-07 was right there at the main entrance parked in such a way that you were forced to walk around it and that is exactly what I did. Because, I didn't realize it was there until the guy at the parts counter asked my how I liked the FZ-09 and and mentioned that they had the FZ-07 in white. I said "really, where?" He said you passed it at the front door. So I went back and to me it does not pop like the FZ-09 did. I thought the same thing about the red one as well, and now Its confirmed that the FZ-07 does not attract me based on appearance. As far as ergonomics and ride I cannot tell much from sitting on the bike. I can say it feels too narrow. The bike reminds me of the Honda NC700 series (not that that's bad but just plain).
The FZ-07 is cool but not as cool as the FZ-09.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yamaha states in the FZ09 Service Manual that generic torque specs for a 17mm nut 12mm bolt can be up to 40 ft pds. The 17mm drain plug is 31 ft lbs. Less than max generic spec. Also you should replace the crush washer each time you remove the drain plug. I know some people dont but I prefer to do that so that I can get the good proper seal from the new washer. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yamaha states in the FZ09 Service Manual that generic torque specs for a 17mm nut 12mm bolt can be up to 40 ft pds. The 17mm drain plug is 31 ft lbs. Less than max generic spec. Also you should replace the crush washer each time you remove the drain plug. I know some people dont but I prefer to do that so that I can get the good proper seal from the new washer. Just my 2 cents.
I purchased a crush washer with my filter and oil

·
Registered
209 Posts
Calibrated arm! Bwahaha! That's awesome. I had to buy a torque wrench to calibrated my arm! Hahaha. Too Damn funny bro.

·
Registered
350 Posts
31 is too high. I don't know why but many of the fz09 torque values are higher than any bike I have owned. I suspect they contracted someone to convert to ft pounds and made many mistakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm very inexperienced but when I changed my oil I torqued it down to 17 ft lbs. So far no issues or leaks. I also felt 31 was too high.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
When I changed my oil today the drain plug (which I had previously torqued to 31 ft/lbs) loosened with a quick jab to the end of the wrench and turned out perfectly with no binding. I reinstalled it with a proper torque wrench to the same, even reusing the crush washer (because I've never had any leakage in 30 years of oil changes, yes I make sure the washer is still good before reusing). Don't know what to tell ya... the recommended torque seems to be ok in my experience... yours may vary! ;)

·
Registered
511 Posts
I am an automotive tech so I have a torque wrench and a " calibrated arm " and it felt like it was getting way too tight. Most autos torque their drain plugs to about 20 so when I read 31 I was skeptical. Not sure what number to use so I just went by feel. Changing the oil is a snap on the FZ IMO. When I did the wife's Gixxer I had to remove part of the fairing. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts