Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went for a ride nice 75 mile ride around a nearby lake with fun twisty roads. Great day for a ride. Jumped on the highway to get home. Got home, put the bike on the stands and was putting away my gear. I just started to clean the bugs off the helmet visor when a CHP pulls into my drive way.

He gets out and says the helicopter on I-80 clocked me at 90mph! So I said I couldn't have been doing more than 80mph. So he went back to the car to talk to copter dude...no luck. Cited for 90mph. The good news is I can go to traffic school...

and I was just telling my wife yesterday I haven't had a speeding ticket in 15 years. This bike is going to make me lose my license!

Beware of the Eye in the Sky!

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
I'd give you a like here, but that wouldn't be very sympathetic. Tough break, but good to know.

Look ahead, look behind, side to side, and don't forget to look UP.

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
Sorry for that DTM. What a drag to be nipped by rozzers in the clouds.

Back when the Cherohala Skyway through Tennessee and North Carolina opened up in the mid-1990's the amount of
vehicular hooliganism was a bit over the top. The LEO's utilized a system known as VASCAR where an aircraft with a peace officer
timed vehicles over a measured distance denoted by painted lines on the roadway. Primitive, but legal and effective. I never suffered
what surely would have been the well deserved misfortune to be cited during that campaign...and that was back when I was unbroken,
unwise and somewhat thoughtless.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear about the eye in the sky. That really sucks! :(

Reactions: Tigershark

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Saw a "Patrolled by Aircraft" sign on Skaggs Spring Road Monday and ignored it. Will keep an eye out (up?) now.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm sure California legislators have addressed this issue. But technically if the police can't prove it was you on that motorcycle from their helicopter while radaring you at x mph, it is unconstitutional to cite you. I see people get out of red light tickets all time based on that argument. Due process is a right. But given California's wackiness that argument might not fly (pun intended). Worth looking into I suppose.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the officer said "you would be surprised at the technology. We can see the hairs on the back of a person's neck."

I couldn't really argue that it wasn't me. The citing officer went over to feel the heat coming off the engine for his verification. He asked me if it was the bike I was on to which I acknowledged it was...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I would have pleaded with the officer......"But officer, this Bike was made to go fast........!!!"

·
Registered
190 Posts
^^^65 mph
Hope ticket isn't to much. They brought in some new laws a few years back, 25mph over gets you impounded on the spot for 7 days and ends up costing you at least a couple thousand over 3 years with impound fees, the ticket and driver premium points. It's the thing I'm scared most of when on the FZ.

My boss and my co-worker both got nailed in the same week last summer.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saw a "Patrolled by Aircraft" sign on Skaggs Spring Road Monday and ignored it. Will keep an eye out (up?) now.
Definitely. One member on the local forum (BARF) said he got popped by aircraft crossing the DY on Hwy 175...

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope ticket isn't to much. They brought in some new laws a few years back, 25mph over gets you impounded on the spot for 7 days and ends up costing you at least a couple thousand over 3 years with impound fees, the ticket and driver premium points. It's the thing I'm scared most of when on the FZ.
wow. I asked the ticketing cop if I was eligible for traffic school to which he said I was...if I was cited at 91, then no. So I don't think it will be premium points but it may come at a premium price.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
If it was here, I would fight it, if they can not prove it was you riding then they can not give you a demerit ticket. Most they can do is ticket the registered owner of the vehicle, like a photo radar ticket. If the cop did not pull you over while you were riding the bike, he is just using scare tactics to get you to pay the fine, which is like a confession. First rule of thumb, act dumb, admit to nothing and be polite. Arguing with the cop is pointless, he'll ticket you for just being a jerk and he will make the ticket the maximum amount possible just to prove a point. Even if they do catch you, be nice act dumb and the cop might cut you some slack.

·
Registered
190 Posts
wow. I asked the ticketing cop if I was eligible for traffic school to which he said I was...if I was cited at 91, then no. So I don't think it will be premium points but it may come at a premium price.
Sorry I should of added where I live, I think you're alright. :)

·
Banned
739 Posts
I'm sure California legislators have addressed this issue. But technically if the police can't prove it was you on that motorcycle from their helicopter while radaring you at x mph, it is unconstitutional to cite you. I see people get out of red light tickets all time based on that argument. Due process is a right. But given California's wackiness that argument might not fly (pun intended). Worth looking into I suppose.
Red light cameras get a picture of your license plate. So someone else was driving your car?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Exactly. Just like DTM situation, for all the police know his buddy was riding the bike or he was selling the bike and a potential customer was test riding it etc. etc.

Another point to make now that you can't take driving school you will get some heavy insurance premium increases. In the end may be cheaper to dish out now for a lawyer and get it thrown out then pay over the next few years for higher insurance. Although your admission may have sealed the deal.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Reminds of living in the corrupt area around Chicago many years ago. Got ticketed for reckless driving after popping a 6" wheelie on a country road. That charge was second only to drunk driving at the time with monster fine and loss of license. I pleaded innocent and hired a lawyer who told be to bring a hundred bucks cash to the trial. He then took the money and told the judge he needed to confer with the Prosecuting Attorney. They stepped out for a minute then back again. The prosecutor asked the judge to reduce the charge to improper start with a $20 fine and no points off. The judge dropped the hammer and said "granted". What a scam operation that was.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts