Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

The Espargaró brothers presents the New Yamaha MT-07

7K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Willowbilly 
#1 ·
The two Yamaha MotoGP riders present the new 689cc 2 cylinder roadster of Yamaha in an incredible environment - Old circuit of Sitges -- Spain.

#16 ·
Don't forget the 114 hp is a huge lie. On the dyno an FZ-09 pulls 106 hp tops. Now minus 9 from that in "B" mode....you would get 97. However on the dyno it gets 95 hp in "B' mode.

In all fairness....I'm 100% sure Yamaha lies about the FZ-07 HP too. It's more likely 70hp on the dyno instead of the 75 claimed at the crank. So now you have an honest 70hp available versus an honest 95hp. 25hp difference.

I can live with that.

#19 · (Edited)
If you've been around bikes long enough....you learn that there is a 3 to 5% frictional loss between the crankshaft and the rear wheel. It's about 3% on a chain drive bike...and about 5% on a shaft drive bike. If you do the math on 114hp...and minus the 3% you get a 3.42hp loss. So 114 hp minus the 3.42 ...you end up with 110.58 hp ...which is NO WHERE EVEN CLOSE to the 106hp that that we all get on the dyno. Even if you were generous and calculated a 5% loss in hp.....you get a 5.7hp loss. So 114hp minus a 5% {5.7hp loss} you get 108.3 hp...which is STILL not the 106 hp that we get on the dyno. So yes...Yamaha lies about the actual horsepower. Most all the manufacturers lie these days about HP because they know they can get away with it. No way will someone actually pull an engine and put the engine only on a dyno and measure actual crankshaft hp. Of all the bike makers...DUCATI is the worst liar in the business. Honda is the most honest.
Not that it matters that much. If we like the bike...we fall for all the hype easily.

#21 ·
Track in the commercial.

Hey Blaze,

Run down is a bit of an understatement. It looks to me like they could have some riding lawn mower races on that track, and perhaps improve the conditions. It looked pretty sketchy to me with tufts of grass sticking up everywhere, and huge cracks. Yikes.

I agree with your last statement too. I'm coming from a 55hp bike myself. I think the 07 would be a sufficient jump rather than doubling what I have now.

#20 ·
A dyno is not a perfect measuring tool either. Especially not one measuring power from the wheel. An engine dyno is much more accurate, because of less variables. But all that aside, there are so many variables to take into account when using any dyno to measure HP. Dyno's are tuning devices 1st, hp/ pissing contests 2nd. In actuality it is possible Yamaha got XXX out of the bike. It is also possible they are full of shit. Doesn't really matter imo.

#24 ·
Ok, I guess I should cut them some slack on the track. It was built in 1923, and not really used since the 50s. Those building in the infield are chicken houses as the place is now a chicken ranch. Hope they don't shit on the track.

Why do those brothers reminds me of this pair?
Conversation Smile Games

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.