Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I tried Penske on my FZ-10 and no matter how I set it, including professional suspension tuning, I got a rough ride.
Who did you buy the Penske from? What did you specify for your prefered riding style? When you get your suspension built, the builder wants to know your weight and riding style so they can build the appropriate internal valving to meet your needs. Touring, street riding, track riding will have different internal stacks. Ohlins doesnt automatically mean better performance than ANY other quality brand, the ride quality comes from how its built on the inside.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Congrats on you new bike, that flat shiny gray has grown on me. Lots of advice on this and other forum's on what to buy ie. suspension. Go with what you know and like. I just did full Ohlins on my 15 FZ. Very noticeable improvement, but I miss a plush ride on smooth pavement, it does exists. Some more fiddling and it should be good. Enjoy!

Ride Sane

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I’m curious what you think of the weight? Even though it’s close to 50 more than the 09, I never really noticed the difference. That was a concern when I bought it, but never entered my mind again after my first ride. It felt just as nimble as the 09, which could be due to the 10s shorter wheelbase.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I actually had an FJ 09 which was about the same weight as the MT 09 but I did an exhaust and removed the cat. I didn't notice a difference. When I was on some of my regular riding routes it was faster through the corners that were smooth and I didn't have to worry about rough pavement. I'll do an exhaust on this and get another 20 lbs. off of this one too. This is a seriously fast and good handling bike.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Betoney,

I don’t want to namedrop on the vendor. He did a lot of work on the suspension development with Penske when the 10 first came out. My weight, riding style, etc all went into specifying the shock ordered. I worked with him on making setting changes, but never felt that it offered any improvement over the factory shock that came on the bike. For the money and time spent, including a local suspension shop, left me very disappointed in the end result. Ultimately, I sold the shock and bike separately and bought the BMW ADV bike. Not the same adrenaline rush, but I love the ride. It’s also the first bike I’ve bought in recent years that required very little extra costs on mods. Just one windscreen and seat upgrade.

Nothing against Yamahas or sportbikes in general. Just an old fart who can't deal with busted up asphalt anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Betoney,

I don’t want to namedrop on the vendor. He did a lot of work on the suspension development with Penske when the 10 first came out. My weight, riding style, etc all went into specifying the shock ordered. I worked with him on making setting changes, but never felt that it offered any improvement over the factory shock that came on the bike. For the money and time spent, including a local suspension shop, left me very disappointed in the end result.
Sorry to hear of your disappointing experience with that suspension tuner, the fact that you didnt feel any difference from the stock shock is alarming. I hope you dont place blame on the Penske product itself, I have owned and ridden many bikes with Penske shocks and none of them have been less than phenomenal, absolute night and day difference over stock.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Thanks. Good to know you’ve had positive experiences with Penske. I still feel my expectations for magically getting a smooth ride over crappy highways were naive. Going to a 19” front wheel and longer travel on my ADV bike was a total success. No more dreading a rough stretch ahead with the inevitable hammering of my spine. The bonus is still being fun through the curves. I actually went from the -10 to a Triumph XCX which was very tall and top heavy for me. Though the WP suspension was super smooth, its 21” front wheel was challenging in twisties. Going to 19” made a huge difference. Lots of factors in getting the near perfect setup for every owner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I had K-Tech on my FJ 09 and it was magically smooth over crappy highways and handled the twisties like a sport bike. I live in the middle of farms and twisty country roads with frost heaves and never felt that I needed more travel. In fact I had never driven them in my 2016 Toyota Tundrawas and was shocked over how rough the same roads were. I was pummeled in the truck and but can crank through on the bike. I'm going to do K-Tech again and am expecting the same results on the MT 10. I guess I sound like a shill for them but I can't believe how easy it is to ride with the suspension upgraded.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts