Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had to look it up....but it appears that Snowdonia is a National Park in Northern Wales with a Mountain that is 3700 feet above sea level. File:SnowdonMap.svg - Wikimedia Commons

You know that tall mountains have excellent twisty roads...and roads like that are exactly like we have in North Georgia, where I'm from. {Blood Mountain 4400 ft above sea level}

So....what's the BEST bike for straifing the corners in Snowdonia?
Would it be a Triumph Scrambler? A BMW r1200gs? A KTM 390 Duke? How about a Ducati 899 Panagale...or even better a BMW S1000r Sport? Can't be a MT-07 can it? I bet you made up your mind already which one is best.

Keep reading because Four magazine writers from BIKE magazine in the UK took all six bikes, along with a datalogger, to Snowdonia for a whole day of corner carving fun...to see which of those six bikes is the one they would choose to ride the Mountain. Not the best handling bike....not the fastest bike....but just the one they thought was the most fun and still able to hang with the cream of the crop. All four testers picked the MT-07.

How can an underpowered ..slow...entry level... GIRLS BIKE be the one they picked? Well now you know what I've known all along. Better to ride a slow bike fast....than it is to ride a fast bike, slow.

Read the whole test in this months BIKE magazine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wales is a great place to ride. I had made 6 trips to the U.K., when I was working.
I had meet some riders, when working with various contractors, several had loaned me bikes, we would ride on the weekends, or Bank Holidays.
Since I did not have my gear with me, my borrowed Kit, was typically a mix match of street and dirt bike gear. Several times, I looked
like I was right out of Mad Max. Fun times.

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts
I had to look it up....but it appears that Snowdonia is a National Park in Northern Wales with a Mountain that is 3700 feet above sea level.

Perhaps a ragged out PC800?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perhaps a ragged out PC800?
Ok Lloyd...I'm on to you now......and no, Frankenbike was not ragged out. It did look like crap...but it was the best weapon ever made for the Gap. Too slow for Snowdonia and almost fast enough for 129.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I guess they didn't test an FZ-09...

Reactions: beck and motorock

·
Super Moderator
4,451 Posts
Ok Lloyd...I'm on to you now......and no, Frankenbike was not ragged out. It did look like crap...but it was the best weapon ever made for the Gap. Too slow for Snowdonia and almost fast enough for 129.
I apologize. My characterization was needlessly harsh. And most certainly it was rude of me.
Almost fast enough? I would imagine you to be very quick on whatever, except for perhaps an FZ09 with crap stock suspension. ;)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I apologize. My characterization was needlessly harsh. And most certainly it was rude of me.
Almost fast enough? I would imagine you to be very quick on whatever, except for perhaps an FZ09 with crap stock suspension. ;)
Well thanks for the props but that was 10 years ago when I was still brave. I'm 67 years old now and wish to stay alive for a few more years.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I had to look it up....but it appears that Snowdonia is a National Park in Northern Wales with a Mountain that is 3700 feet above sea level. File:SnowdonMap.svg - Wikimedia Commons

You know that tall mountains have excellent twisty roads...and roads like that are exactly like we have in North Georgia, where I'm from. {Blood Mountain 4400 ft above sea level}

Would it be a Triumph Scrambler? A BMW r1200gs? A KTM 390 Duke? How about a Ducati 899 Panagale...or even better a BMW S1000r Sport? Can't be a MT-07 can it? I bet you made up your mind already which one is best.

Keep reading because Four magazine writers from BIKE magazine in the UK took all six bikes, along with a datalogger, to Snowdonia for a whole day of corner carving fun...to see which of those six bikes is the one they would choose to ride the Mountain. Not the best handling bike....not the fastest bike....but just the one they thought was the most fun and still able to hang with the cream of the crop. All four testers picked the MT-07.

How can an underpowered ..slow...entry level... GIRLS BIKE be the one they picked? Well now you know what I've known all along. Better to ride a slow bike fast....than it is to ride a fast bike, slow.

Read the whole test in this months BIKE magazine.
Yea and you should have seen Chris go up Palomar Mountain on his FZ07 last week end. He was the fastest guy on the mountain that day.

I kid you not.

His bike is a bit tricked out. Full suspension remake. Akra full exhaust and I don't know what else.

For an old guy (I can say that cuz I am an old fossil too) he really knows how to put down some lap times.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts