Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacing your helmet five years after purchase, irregardless of how much use it has seen.

A lot of riders feel that number is purely arbitrary and is very much self-serving for helmet manufacturers.

The debate has been going on for as long as I've been riding (and longer), with strong opinions from both sides of the debate.

A local motorcycle magazine (City Bike) recently gathered a bunch of old helmets (I personally donated an old Shoei helmet that was dated 1997) and tested them to see how many of them would still pass/fail impact testing.

I thought some folks here might enjoy reading the article and seeing the results. Apologies if it has already been posted, I did a search and didn't see anything.

The image is large (to make it easier to read) so here's a link: http://i.imgur.com/UMPZ6vQ.jpg

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
good article! Pretty much reinforces what I already practiced about replacing helmets.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Good information. I think if you actually use the helmet a lot, and it is exposed to the "environment", a good inspection is in order. When the lining and Styrofoam start to blow into your eyes and down you neck, when you ride, it is time to get a new lid.

Also your graphics and paint become dated, so the five year rule is good. Unless you buy a Schuberth helmet and then I think you should replace your helmet every six months as you have too much money, and somehow your brain must be protected at all cost.

Or like my buddy Dave, who's head and metal flake gold helmet arrived just microseconds before his sandcast CB750 to that telephone pole,.........

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'm always looking for an excuse to buy new gear - this is my last year for my lid (5 years) - upgrading to an Arai next year - stoked!

Thanks for posting - great read!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Thanks for posting that article. It was very interesting. I think I've usually gone 8 years, maybe more, per helmet, waiting till they get pretty nasty before replacing. I no longer feel guilty about that now.

·
Registered
857 Posts
There are too many "good helmets" the $200-$300 range any more to ride around with a crap helmet. I bought the Bell EVO something from Revzilla for $100 and I'm very please with the quality of the lid, in a year, I toss it. No problem.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
There are too many "good helmets" the $200-$300 range any more to ride around with a crap helmet. I bought the Bell EVO something from Revzilla for $100 and I'm very please with the quality of the lid, in a year, I toss it. No problem.
Wearing a helmet you like, as opposed to one you don't, makes every ride better......Much better.:cool:

Skimp on Birthday Gifts, food, and clothing, before Making a Bad choice when buying a Helmet!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Very interesting article. But what really makes me wonder was one sentence inpaticullar.

"Here's the thing though-remember we're testing our helmets against the standard they were originally certified to, not current standards."

So the 1980's helmet still passed its standard from 1980?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Good article, especially the part about the old stock helmet failing the test and never having been used.

Besides the obvious reasons for replacing a helmet, like chips and cracks, or worn-out straps. I think the best way to judge if it time for a new lid is if it doesn't fit right anymore. Once the liner starts to get too worn, it's time for a new one.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Good article, especially the part about the old stock helmet failing the test and never having been used.

Besides the obvious reasons for replacing a helmet, like chips and cracks, or worn-out straps. I think the best way to judge if it time for a new lid is if it doesn't fit right anymore. Once the liner starts to get too worn, it's time for a new one.
....Unless you live in one of the SunBelt States; We go through Helmet Liners like a Newborn goes through diapers.:D

·
Registered
139 Posts
Wearing a helmet you like, as opposed to one you don't, makes every ride better......Much better.:cool:

Skimp on Birthday Gifts, food, and clothing, before Making a Bad choice when buying a Helmet!
I did that last year. I made the mistake of buying a helmet from a place i couldnt exchange it and i cant handle wearing it. it blows wind directly into my eyes. now i've wasted $130 and im looking at $300+helmets. When i could've just bought a $430 helmet to begin with. i have never wanted to spend that much on a helmet but i like the idea of no wind being able to get inside and if i buy the sena 20s i wont have to keep switching helmets. i've gone back to an $80 helmet and goggles in the mean time..

·
Registered
377 Posts
The five year rule is based on (from recollection) factors like hair gel and aerosols being used, as well as the foam compressing over time/wear. I wonder if the 1993 helmet was exposed to the uv lights for most of its life. UV has a very direct effect on foam deterioration, and foam in the early to mid nineties is infamous for this, at least on the audio side of things.

Me? I still usually adhere to the five year rule, and I'm religious about not using any hair products. Even barbers look at me askance when I tell them 'no hair products, please'

I went to buy a shoei or arai this last year, but couldn't find ONE that would fit over my (I guess) oversized ears without folding them. I ended up with an HJC that I like very much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts