·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If it keeps its weight below 450 (or atleast below 500 fully fuelled), I would think it could be a winner. But the new Hondas, as good as they look, are not really class changing machines (read: exciting) in any segment. Could this be that bike?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Let's hope so. The older Africa Twin was a full on race machine, that is the same plan for this one. So I would expect a full race package with high quality bits.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
^ Yes, I think KTM owns the big-adv-racing-bike today. Remember, no HRC on this Africa- for now. If its as big as the GS or even the KTM, it would be just another flavor of the same story.
Why can't someone make a modern long-distance hog like the KLR with a single/dual 650, with a weight of the DR650- for under 8/9k. That bike would kill the "ADV" segment.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why can't someone make a modern long-distance hog like the KLR with a single/dual 650, with a weight of the DR650- for under 8/9k. That bike would kill the "ADV" segment.
That's what I was really hoping for. I thought that this was going to be a 650 or 750, the 1000 seems a bit big but hey, maybe this will be the FZ-09 of the ADV category?

Reactions: motorock

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Will it becoming to the U.S. in that time frame. You guys know how the manufacturers like to f us here and release everything in Europe at least a year before it makes it here.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I read it WILL come to the U.S. eventually. I can't imagine this thing NOT selling a $h!t ton!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
From what I read it WILL come to the U.S. eventually. I can't imagine this thing NOT selling a $h!t ton!
Supposed to be coming as a 2016 model...the big question is the price. Gotta be cheaper than BMW and KTM...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I second a lightweight Africa twin 650 and a lighter version of the XT660 for the states. I almost want to move to Europe just for the motorcycles. :) I think I might like a KTM 690 Enduro R with some modifications, but that thing is expensive to begin with. If the Dr650 was updated with a redesigned engine with a higher redline and a 6th gear I would be all over it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Maybe they will some day bring the Yamaha XT660Z TÉNÉRÉ over to North America???

XT660Z Ténéré 2015 - Motorcycles - Yamaha Motor UK

Wet weight (including full oil and fuel tank) 208.5 kg 459.7 lbs. so not all that light.
Yamaha won't bring anything with the 660 to the states because the engine is too heavy and underpowered compared to the competition - so it couldn't compete. The engine in the WR450 is another story (another excuse). An XTZ450 or a street legal WR450 would get me interested. When rumors broke about a US SR400, I was hoping it would have the WR450 motor. An FZ-4, an R4, an SR450R - I would put that engine to use...

The Africa twin looks great - but I'd opt for less displacement for less weight. Honda's fuel injected enduro's will be just the 20hp CRF250L, and a 1,000 with nothing in between?

·
Registered
276 Posts
We may get decent pricing here in the states but we get the worst selection of bikes possible. I wonder if KTM will bring the new 690 smc's here. They have a link to the bike on their USA webpage but they don't sell it here. 650cc single, 67hp, 6 speed trans, under 330 lbs with fuel, 17" rims, 120 mph top speed, incredible gas mileage, and it doesn't shake liken a single. I can't see how Japan cannot at least somewhat compete with this bike :(

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I second a lightweight Africa twin 650 and a lighter version of the XT660 for the states. I almost want to move to Europe just for the motorcycles. :) I think I might like a KTM 690 Enduro R with some modifications, but that thing is expensive to begin with. If the Dr650 was updated with a redesigned engine with a higher redline and a 6th gear I would be all over it.
With stock gearing on my DR650SE, I can run all day long at 130 kmph (80 mph). Usually when they add another gear, it just gives you a better range to pick from between 1st and the top gear, they don't usually give you a taller gear ratio when they add another gear. A new 6th gear would still have the same gear ratio as the current 5th gear. Some guys spend the money to up the gearing for highway runs and add a pumper carb and full exhaust system. You can also buy a 790cc big bore kit and all kinds of modes through ProCycle. Suzuki DR650 Parts, Accessories, & Performance - ProCycle But if you go that crazy, it might be cheaper to just buy that expansive KTM of BMW, lol.

Knowing Honda, I can't see them making the new African Twin a "cheap" bike to buy, I get a feeling it will be at least $18,000 and probably a lot more.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's the Xr650r. ;) Most people go 15-20,000 miles before rebuild, if not that, until it loses power.

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Xr650R is a dirt bike and not legal in California. I have heard the motor does not like the highway either (supposedly vibes from lighter flywheel at sustained high highway speeds causes engine damage over time if I remember correctly) - only the XR650L is legal for the street here. The Ktm 690 trounces the Honda Xr650L and Dr650. It weighs less, it is liquid cooled, it has a 6 speed trans, and it puts out 50% more horsepower than either of them. The Honda is a decent bike, I've owned XL's, XT's, and DR's. I've done 3 days coast to coast on both an Xt600 and an DR650, IMO they all really need a 6th gear spread out wider to ease the thing up at 80-85 mph on the highway.

Oh the KTM shod with supermoto wheels will do north of 120mph and it does not shake and vibrate like a normal thumper either.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Xr650R is a dirt bike and not legal in California. I have heard the motor does not like the highway either (supposedly vibes from lighter flywheel at sustained high highway speeds causes engine damage over time if I remember correctly) - only the XR650L is legal for the street here. The Ktm 690 trounces the Honda Xr650L and Dr650. It weighs less, it is liquid cooled, it has a 6 speed trans, and it puts out 50% more horsepower than either of them. The Honda is a decent bike, I've owned XL's, XT's, and DR's. I've done 3 days coast to coast on both an Xt600 and an DR650, IMO they all really need a 6th gear spread out wider to ease the thing up at 80-85 mph on the highway.

Oh the KTM shod with supermoto wheels will do north of 120mph and it does not shake and vibrate like a normal thumper either.
You poor californians don't get anything fun! It isn't legal anywhere else in the states but it can be made legal extremely easy. I'd like to thing the opposite, that motor was built to run screaming at 100mph for hours on end. It all depends on how you want to gear it.

Anyways, here is a vid of the Africa Twin:

Reactions: Steve101
1 - 20 of 36 Posts