Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my bike back from the movers: was stationed in Hawaii and moved back to AZ. They had to take the stock mirrors off to crate...I got the left one on no problem (righty tighty) but the right side by the throttle wouldn't go in. After numerous attempts and hours online thinking it was stripped out my wife went out and did it as a counter thread. If you need to take your mirrors off, the right side is counter threaded (my wife hasn't let it go all night). Remarks complete.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Women (wives especially) tend to trump men in the common sense areas of life..

·
Registered
768 Posts
Yamaha is about the only company I know that uses reverse threads on the right mirror.
My old boss used to bitch about how Yamahas were weird for stuff like that.
I thought about it and theorized there was a good reason. Maybe not THE reason. But, one that made sense to me. "Whyyyyyyyyyy?", he asked.
If you fall on the left side and the mirror hits, it unscrews a little and loosens - hopefully before breaking off the mount that also holds the clutch lever.
If one goes down to the right, regular threads would have the mirror tightening. Then I showed him a broken right side mount off a Kawasaki/Honda/Suzuki(can't remember.)
Left-handed threads on the right side let a mirror unscrew over there, too.
"Yea. But, Yamahas are still weird."
LOL

Reactions: GhengisT

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've never had a problem with that. Their reasoning makes sense to me

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used Army movers, they crated and shipped. No damage whatsoever. I've ridden about 100 miles or more since its been back and no issue

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grrrumble, you don't know my wife. She is like the Dos Equis guy "I'm not always right but when I am I'll let you know about it...FOREVER". That
s why were still married.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did they damage the bike at all? I'm afraid to use the army to ship my bike home..
I've had my bike shipped 3 times, once by the military(Air Force). The military guys did a great job no issues. They let me go with them and watch/help strap it into a special crate.

I had it shipped down to FL from WA and gave my wife all the information on who to use, well long story short, she lost that info and got some other outfit to ship it. They put in the back of a pickup and drove it down that way. They strapped across the front fender, scratched the headlight bezel, and the chrome was completely toast when I finally got my hands on it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You posted this up on a long weekend that has barbeque and friends and conversation. I thought the teamwork routine might get you off the hook away from giggles or laughter. Just think about the new backroads to find and give it some throttle.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used to work in a scooter shop that sold scooters with one of the mirrors reverse threaded, i would help customers with this by using the phrase "headlight tight" meaning if your screwing the mirror towards the front of the headlight (as opposed to the gauge cluster) it will tighten. Still, we had people coming in to get there mirrors adjusted constantly because they wouldnt remember.

Reactions: edgyver

·
Registered
768 Posts
I used to work in a scooter shop that sold scooters with one of the mirrors reverse threaded, i would help customers with this by using the phrase "headlight tight" meaning if your screwing the mirror towards the front of the headlight (as opposed to the gauge cluster) it will tighten. Still, we had people coming in to get there mirrors adjusted constantly because they wouldnt remember.
Headlight tight. I love it!
I'm gonna ask my Yamaha guy if he's ever heard that one. =)

Reactions: daufcguy

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Grrrumble, you don't know my wife. She is like the Dos Equis guy "I'm not always right but when I am I'll let you know about it...FOREVER". That
s why were still married.
LOL, at least she admits she's not always right. My wife told me the other day "I've been wrong only once" and I said "oh yeah? When?" and she says "this one time I thought I was wrong".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts