Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from the Polaris/Victory dealer and the Indian demo truck was there. I got a chance to take out the Indian Scout. We went out with a group of four Scouts on the back roads and did an 11 mile loop. Here are my impressions:

Weight: when I first lifted the bike off of the side stand, I was amazed. It felt like one of the MSF bikes, if you guys remember the Honda Rebels and whatever other 300 lb bikes they use for the safety class. It really did feel that light. It took no effort to lift it. In reality, the bike isn't that much lighter than my XL1200 Harley. When riding the bike, you didn't feel the weight at all. It did feel like riding a Rebel as far as the weight of the bike. They did a great job with the center of gravity. The bike didn't feel anything like a Sportster, which is a good thing. It felt more like my husband's Shadow, but it didn't have that "falling into turns" feeling, which I don't love about the Shadow.

Handling: the bike was really easy to ride. I could imagine someone getting this as their first bike. It wasn't the least bit intimidating. There were women test riding the Scout, and I could see this as a good bike for a female rider. If you are a guy, I could see you getting made fun of like the Harley guys are made fun of for riding Sportsters, that it's a "girls bike." The Scout is small compared to the other Indian or Victory bikes. Since I'm used to the FZ-09 and how awesome it is (best bike ever made as far as I'm convinced), I didn't love how it turned compared to the FZ-09, but it won't turn like a sport bike and shouldn't be expected to. You can feel the difference in the rake of the bike compared to ours when you are turning. I had to remember I was on a different bike.

Comfort: I don't know how else to say it, but it felt like the seat was grabbing my ass the whole time I was riding it and we barely knew each other, so that was kind of forward. The handle bars came back, which was nice. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the forward controls and having the shifter so far up, but you get used to it really quickly and it's not nearly as extreme as the controls on the Harleys. The bike for me was almost 100% comfortable, but you can always fix things. The pegs move two inches in either direction and they have different seat options. The stock seat is a single seat and is beautiful. It's a brown distressed leather. After the ride, there was a load of heat coming off of the bike. It was 50 degrees, so I don't know what this would be like in the summer. It needs some kind of heat shield.

Styling: the bike looks amazing in magazines. I thought it looked great in person. But, coming from a Harley, there was just something about it that it lacked. A soul. A Harley has a soul. This bike didn't. It felt mass produced. It was beautiful though. It didn't look as solid as a Harley. I was expecting a little more. The chrome looked like it was made out of plastic.

Power: supposedly, this thing has 100hp and just 9 ft/lbs of torque less than the 1200 Sportster, which I have. My Harley pulls like crazy as soon as you go. It oozes torque and power, almost like it has too much power and is like riding one of those bulls that you need to stay on for 8 seconds. It's a different kind of power than the FZ. The FZ will blow it away from 0 to 60 and can go a lot faster, but the Harley has more of a raw power that you need to control before it gets away from you. I didn't feel this at all from the Indian. It felt like the Indian couldn't get out of it's own way, and I made sure I left some space and stayed towards the back during the ride so I could lean on it, and I definitely leaned on the bike. If you guys think I ride the FZ to 10% of it's power, you would have thought I was out of my mind on the Indian. No matter how crazy you wanted to ride, it didn't go anywhere, even with 100 hp. Who knows where the horsepower is hiding. I looked for it. I couldn't find it. On the back roads, we were limited, but i had it around 70 mph. So, I wouldn't get sh&t about not riding this bike to it's limits, but it felt like it didn't have much of a limit. The bike also got rather buzzy in the higher gears when the RPMs went up. It wasn't a consistent buzziness, just when you were at a certain point in the power band.

What I have learned is that our FZ-09 is the best bike out there and don't waste your time on anything else. I was able to handle the bike really easily as far as moving it around and parking it, etc. That to me is a selling point. I can't move our bike, can't park it or push it forward, etc. It's okay though, I still love our bike. The Indian shifted fine and finding first wasn't an issue, which was nice. The tank didn't look huge which to me is something I notice about a lot of cruisers, that they have these big ugly tanks, this had a nice tank design. The whole bike looked balanced.

Will I buy one? Yes. It's not perfect, but I think it is the best cruiser out there for my purposes (something that doesn't scare the f&ck out of me). I have heard people say that you should be able to get 140 hp out of the engine so I have faith in the after market to fix some of the issues. I stopped at Harley and talked to the owner about taking my bike. He said February. The Harley has more power and feels more solid, but scares the f&ck out of me when I take it out since it feels like it will fall every time I turn from a stop. This has never actually happened, but that's not a great feeling. The Indian didn't have that feeling. This could be the next cruiser unless the one from Ducati blows me away.

If anyone else has been to one of the Indian demo days, please share your opinions.

Reactions: sconnie

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have been saying that you can get 140hp out of the engine, I don't know how exactly, but if someone in the aftermarket can figure it out, the bike would be great. And, if it turned more like our bike, and had a deeper lean angle, yeah, our bike is amazing.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I just got back from the Polaris/Victory dealer and the Indian demo truck was there. I got a chance to take out the Indian Scout. We went out with a group of four Scouts on the back roads and did an 11 mile loop. Here are my impressions:

Weight: when I first lifted the bike off of the side stand, I was amazed. It felt like one of the MSF bikes, if you guys remember the Honda Rebels and whatever other 300 lb bikes they use for the safety class. It really did feel that light. It took no effort to lift it. In reality, the bike isn't that much lighter than my XL1200 Harley. When riding the bike, you didn't feel the weight at all. It did feel like riding a Rebel as far as the weight of the bike. They did a great job with the center of gravity. The bike didn't feel anything like a Sportster, which is a good thing. It felt more like my husband's Shadow, but it didn't have that "falling into turns" feeling, which I don't love about the Shadow.

Handling: the bike was really easy to ride. I could imagine someone getting this as their first bike. It wasn't the least bit intimidating. There were women test riding the Scout, and I could see this as a good bike for a female rider. If you are a guy, I could see you getting made fun of like the Harley guys are made fun of for riding Sportsters, that it's a "girls bike." The Scout is small compared to the other Indian or Victory bikes. Since I'm used to the FZ-09 and how awesome it is (best bike ever made as far as I'm convinced), I didn't love how it turned compared to the FZ-09, but it won't turn like a sport bike and shouldn't be expected to. You can feel the difference in the rake of the bike compared to ours when you are turning. I had to remember I was on a different bike.

Comfort: I don't know how else to say it, but it felt like the seat was grabbing my ass the whole time I was riding it and we barely knew each other, so that was kind of forward. The handle bars came back, which was nice. I wasn't sure how I would feel about the forward controls and having the shifter so far up, but you get used to it really quickly and it's not nearly as extreme as the controls on the Harleys. The bike for me was almost 100% comfortable, but you can always fix things. The pegs move two inches in either direction and they have different seat options. The stock seat is a single seat and is beautiful. It's a brown distressed leather. After the ride, there was a load of heat coming off of the bike. It was 50 degrees, so I don't know what this would be like in the summer. It needs some kind of heat shield.

Styling: the bike looks amazing in magazines. I thought it looked great in person. But, coming from a Harley, there was just something about it that it lacked. A soul. A Harley has a soul. This bike didn't. It felt mass produced. It was beautiful though. It didn't look as solid as a Harley. I was expecting a little more. The chrome looked like it was made out of plastic.

Power: supposedly, this thing has 100hp and just 9 ft/lbs of torque less than the 1200 Sportster, which I have. My Harley pulls like crazy as soon as you go. It oozes torque and power, almost like it has too much power and is like riding one of those bulls that you need to stay on for 8 seconds. It's a different kind of power than the FZ. The FZ will blow it away from 0 to 60 and can go a lot faster, but the Harley has more of a raw power that you need to control before it gets away from you. I didn't feel this at all from the Indian. It felt like the Indian couldn't get out of it's own way, and I made sure I left some space and stayed towards the back during the ride so I could lean on it, and I definitely leaned on the bike. If you guys think I ride the FZ to 10% of it's power, you would have thought I was out of my mind on the Indian. No matter how crazy you wanted to ride, it didn't go anywhere, even with 100 hp. Who knows where the horsepower is hiding. I looked for it. I couldn't find it. On the back roads, we were limited, but i had it around 70 mph. So, I wouldn't get sh&t about not riding this bike to it's limits, but it felt like it didn't have much of a limit. The bike also got rather buzzy in the higher gears when the RPMs went up. It wasn't a consistent buzziness, just when you were at a certain point in the power band.

What I have learned is that our FZ-09 is the best bike out there and don't waste your time on anything else. I was able to handle the bike really easily as far as moving it around and parking it, etc. That to me is a selling point. I can't move our bike, can't park it or push it forward, etc. It's okay though, I still love our bike. The Indian shifted fine and finding first wasn't an issue, which was nice. The tank didn't look huge which to me is something I notice about a lot of cruisers, that they have these big ugly tanks, this had a nice tank design. The whole bike looked balanced.

Will I buy one? Yes. It's not perfect, but I think it is the best cruiser out there for my purposes (something that doesn't scare the f&ck out of me). I have heard people say that you should be able to get 140 hp out of the engine so I have faith in the after market to fix some of the issues. I stopped at Harley and talked to the owner about taking my bike. He said February. The Harley has more power and feels more solid, but scares the f&ck out of me when I take it out since it feels like it will fall every time I turn from a stop. This has never actually happened, but that's not a great feeling. The Indian didn't have that feeling. This could be the next cruiser unless the one from Ducati blows me away.

If anyone else has been to one of the Indian demo days, please share your opinions.
Great Review Jen. Thanks a lot for sharing. :)

I was ready to Buy one by the time I was done with you assessment of Comfort -- Cheap thrills on two wheels :)

But you lost me after reading about Power. No power, no go, no speed = No fun. :(

Great review though -- I look forward to reading your plans to buy one After digesting today's ride. I wouldn't be surprised to be hear a different tone in a few days. :cool:

Reactions: Jen

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheap thrills. HAH!!! It was thrilling because it was a motorcycle. The same way that riding a Rebel is probably thrilling :)

The bike still is the best cruiser for my needs. I mean, it has to keep up. Somewhere it has horsepower. I bet if you have the bike, you will figure out how much throttle and which gear and RPM you need to get to it. I'm waiting on the Ducati. I couldn't imagine a lame Ducati.

After I left the Indian demo, I thought I would never want one. Then I went to the Harley dealer and started lifting the bikes off of the side stands and sitting on them, and they were all really heavy and had the controls in positions where I would not be comfortable riding the bike.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Nice write up. It is a nice looking bike. Thought you were going to say 'no' after reading about the power...there's no substitute for HP.

The Ducati looks like a fun little bike to putz around on

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Nice write up. It is a nice looking bike. Thought you were going to say 'no' after reading about the power...there's no substitute for HP.

The Ducati looks like a fun little bike to putz around on
Will the Ducati really be Highway worthy.....????

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Will the Ducati really be Highway worthy.....????
They're claiming 75hp / 50 ftlb of torque...should be ok. I wouldn't commute in the #1 lane at 85mph with it but should do ok. It's a little more power than my SV and that's fine on the highway.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sure. Have you ever been on one? We're talking about speeds up to like 65 mostly on country roads. It's not like R1 power. The torque makes it pull strong from a stop.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Lol speeds up to 65, not r1 power huh? R1 does 80mph in 1st gear lol.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
833 Posts
Never been on that exact model. My dad has a 883 bored to 1200. the only thing it oozes is oil. I have many family and friends that ride the HD brand and i have ridden them all at one point or another. None of them had raw power that I needed to control before it got away from me. I have ridden a Buell that was kindy torquey......

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Lol speeds up to 65, not r1 power huh? R1 does 80mph in 1st gear lol.
Yeah LOL alright....a 1200 Harley makes about 65ft lbs of torque at 3500 RPM..the R1 makes about 15 ..apples and oranges.....if your gonna be a troll, at least be a good one

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Yeah LOL alright....a 1200 Harley makes about 65ft lbs of torque at 3500 RPM..the R1 makes about 15 ..apples and oranges.....if your gonna be a troll, at least be a good one
Kettle calling the Pot Black....???:cool:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sorry to side track this thread. There is no reason to argue "performance metrics" of Harleys. Back to the Indian:D

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The op compared the two. So did I. 3500 rpm, hmmm....isn't that about where the Harley redlines? No wait it's 5500 lmao. I just saw the irony in anyone comparing any stock Harley to a supersport 1000 and say it doesn't have the same feel in terms of power. It's like no duh!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thanks for the review. It sounds like it's right along the lines of what I would be looking for if I were looking to get something more cruiser-ish and didn't spent an arm and a leg. Forgive me for saying so but you didn't appear to have much of anything negative to say about it. I know there HAD to be something. No bike is perfect, especially not at that price. Was there anything about it you could point out that was negative?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Thanks for the review. It sounds like it's right along the lines of what I would be looking for if I were looking to get something more cruiser-ish and didn't spent an arm and a leg. Forgive me for saying so but you didn't appear to have much of anything negative to say about it. I know there HAD to be something. No bike is perfect, especially not at that price. Was there anything about it you could point out that was negative?
Lack of Power....???

It retails for $11,299 in three of the four avail colors. Add Freight, set-up, tax and tag and you're over $12k and counting.....there's my leg, and part of my arm, lol :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It retails for $11,299 in three of the four avail colors. Add Freight, set-up, tax and tag and you're over $12k and counting.....there's my leg, and part of my arm, lol :)
Whats your point.....bikes cost money...13k for a nice cruiser is nothing.....

Reactions: beck

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Whats your point.....bikes cost money...13k for a nice cruiser is nothing.....
"Nothing for you maybe.....

If I had your money I'd burn mine.:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts