Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Lane's Yamaha in Watkins Glen NY, I got a test ride on a Liquid Graphite demo unit today. The bike had 17 miles on it, and I rode for about 10 miles. It was about 50 degrees and not sunny, so I didn't stay out much longer than that, and there was another test ride waiting for the bike back at the dealership.

My first impression was that the seat was sloping forward, but that changed as soon as I leaned forward a bit and relaxed into the bars. The clutch was smooth, with easy engagement, but not a ton of feel. The tranny is positive, but still a bit notchy. If this works how my FJR and Tenere have, it will smooth up with miles and become a joy to use. Out on to the road. Wow, that motor is a gem. Very smooth, but still has character and a great sound. Amazing pull from down low, and it just keeps building as the revs go up. The brakes are good, with decent feel and power on the front, and possibly a bit too much power and not enough feel on the rear, but very positive feel where it counts. No issues with enough bite from my first impressions.

Great handling on the first set of curves I came to. This bike requires a smooth and light touch, and rewards that with very lively yet stable handling. Nice job Yamaha. I cycled through the drive modes and could not feel a ton of difference between them. The impression that just kept coming through was how great a motor they have created here.

The forks feel better than the shock. The bike kicked a few times over frost heaves, and I am sure Nick will have a solution for that in short order. Overall, I would give the suspension a B. The lack of wind protection kept coming back to the forefront on this bike. I am hoping there is at least a fly screen that will remove some of that pressure. My real hope is that Yamaha will take this honey of a motor and make a Tenere 900 out of it. What a sweet motor!

I peaked under the seat, and there are two small storage areas, one in front of the battery, and one aft. Probably enough room for a tire kit and a few more tools. Nice.

I really did like the Blurple wheels more in person than I thought I would. They liven up the liquid graphite and add some personality. Speaking of personality, this motor, IMHO, does a great job of being VERY smooth and still having enough character. Really like the motor!

The tach is a bit hard to read, but this bike will be easy to ride by ear. The mirrors are meh, but not as bad as my memory of my Ducati Monster or GSXR. Great feeling of the bike just disappearing as you roll along. This thing should be a hoot on a track day, especially on a tight and technical track.

Did I mention how sweet that motor is?

Rob

·
Registered
554 Posts
As I'm getting more miles on this thing I'm liking it more and more. I think they designed this bike to be great all around but it really shines as the urban hooligan machine! :). It eats potholes for breakfast, launches fast at stop signs. Has great upright seating that works for seeing over cars etc, and so light and well balanced that its easy to stop at stop signs without putting your feet down (ala California stops!). Glad you got to try one out.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,707 Posts
Motopums wrote:
I cycled through the drive modes and could not feel a ton of difference between them.
You just didn't ride the bike long enough.........the difference between STD and A is considerable, and the difference between B and STD is like night and day........OK, maybe not night and day, but afternoon and dusk! The bike definitely has a Monster motor that just keeps pullin' no matter how low you go with the RPMs......I love it! The brakes, to me, seem fairly decent, if the front end just wouldn't dive so much on hard braking. None of this stuff is something that can't be overcome, and when it is, this bike is going to rock even more than it does now! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the bike.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I know and why the Bay Area bikes got snapped up so quickly. They were correct. I'm glad they didn't come out with this when I was younger!

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
611 Posts
That bike is so clean. I am gonna wash mine as soon as I get back this weekend.

Reactions: eolith

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got to test ride a red one in Lafayette, Indiana Saturday. Mine will be here Tuesday, I am getting the graphite because I didn't want to wait for the orange. The orange was supposed to arrive in late November but they are not 100% sure of that so just decided to get the graphite one. Cannot wait to ride it. I will have to share my time with my awesome GROM!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I got to test ride a red one in Lafayette, Indiana Saturday. Mine will be here Tuesday, I am getting the graphite because I didn't want to wait for the orange. The orange was supposed to arrive in late November but they are not 100% sure of that so just decided to get the graphite one. Cannot wait to ride it. I will have to share my time with my awesome GROM!
I think I called that same dealership. I didn't want to wait for the orange either, as it's not well carried through the entire bike. I think I'll eventually do my own orange/charcoal paint scheme on it in a year or more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts