Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious how many of you got to test ride your FZ-09 prior to buying it? Would you buy an FZ without test riding it? And lastly, what are your thoughts on a dealer not letting you test ride a bike before actually buying it?

I know a lot of Harley dealerships won't let you test ride before, so it's not unheard of, but nonetheless I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the questions above if you have a minute to respond.

Thank you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most dealers in my area do not allow test rides. The last 2 bikes I've bought were under the condition that I could test the bike after doing all of the paperwork, and give it back if I was not happy. It's not perfect, and you have to be fairly sure to start with, but I can understand the dealers not wanting to turn just anybody loose on a bike like the FZ-09.

Mike

·
Registered
89 Posts
The ergonomics was all I needed? There was enough info on the web for me. A very good discount sealed the deal. If you can buy a bike OTD for list . . . It makes the decision easier.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
If a person does his homework and read all the reviews in all the magazines.....AND he has a motorcycle endorsement on his license...AND he rides into the Yamaha dealer on his own bike....THEN you might get a test ride.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I was not able to find a single dealer in NY or PA who would let me test ride the bike or any sport bike. I bought my bike with zero miles. There is something to be said about buying a zero mile bike and I can understand why they don't offer test rides on these things. Harley will let you test ride anything. Every few days, I get an email from Victory asking if I want to test ride one of their bikes (I had sent in a request a while ago). I had also filled out a similar request form, and when I called the dealers, they just said, "yeah, we don't test ride the bike." The closest I got was one local dealer who said I could test ride it if I took out an insurance policy on it.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I swore I would never buy a bike with out riding it first..... well until the FZ09.

I "took" quite a few test rides via watching videos with sound and comments. I was pretty convinced it was indeed the bike for me.

Of course I sat on several in the showroom too.

I have had mine for a week now and have absolutely zero regrets. Check out my post today with the same name (zero regrets)

I am happy as a clam at high tide (coast version.)

For those of you in the middle of the country: I am happy as a pig wallowing in the mud.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The shop I bought mine from was willing to let me test ride but the snow and salt wouldnt go away and I couldnt wait. Sat on it a couple times bought it with 0 miles.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is good to know, I thought maybe I had a rogue dealer that was just being difficult, but it seems this is normal (and I can totally see why....it's not exactly a moped we're talking about here). I'm buying this bike regardless, but I was looking to see others experiences. I have read every review around, and watched every YouTube video on this machine. Coming from a 1200 cc harley sportster 48, this thing is going to feel like someone strapped a rocket to the back of me, so B-Mode for the first few miles.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
To be honest, you don't need to test ride the FZ. It's the perfect bike....like perfect. If you don't like the way it rides, then there is something seriously wrong with you

·
Registered
582 Posts
a Sacramento dealer let me sit on a bike presold but not delivered. I could touch the ground, good enough test. Bought my bike in Red Bluff over the phone and drove 67 miles to finish the paperwork and ride it home. I did two loops around the shop to get a quick feel of it, then hit the road.

I had a 1200C Sportster. Yes, you will need to hang on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know I'm in the minority but in the last 13 years I've leased 3 new trucks, bought 2 cars and the FZ-09 and haven't test drove any of them. I like something I research it then I buy it, I know what I'm buying when I go to buy it. To be honest I think it's mostly cause I want as little to do with the sales people as possible, matter of fact with the exception of the FZ-09 I've negotiated everything over the telephone. Although I knew I was going to buy this bike I never went into the dealership with the plan of buying it that day it just worked out.

The most ironic thing about me wanting nothing to do with sales people? My job involves selling our company to land jobs lol.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
No test ride for me... I had a deposit on it back in June! :eek: No regrets whatsoever.

My dealer allows test rides on certain models... It comes down to liability. Not a chance on an R1, but he would have let me test an FZ8. Any of the cruiser models were fair game for a ride too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The salesman let me test ride mine, told me afterwards that the owner of the shop wasn't happy. "That bike's not a demonstrator"
Had 18 miles on it when I was finished so at least a couple of people drove it around. I bought it anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts