Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the FZ-09 out for a nighttime spin and once again concluded the high beams are useless. I turn them on and instantly get a large black void in front of the bike.

The difference this time, however, is that I tried it while driving under a canopy of trees on a backroad. Suddenly, I finally discovered my high beams... pointing about 20 feet in the air. WTF? How does that even happen and how do you go about fixing it short of taking it to the dealer (which I'll probably do anyhow since I have a recall notice sitting on my desk about some headlight lead wire being too short - who knows, maybe that has something to do with it).

-Kevin

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is your low beam pointing up too high too? I thought they were both adjusted at the same time since they are the same bulb.

I also noticed that when you switch the high beam on it turns off the low beam, but if you use the high beam flasher on the other side it leaves the low beam on with the high beam. I like it much better when the low beam stays on so I can see the road directly in front of me. I have been thinking about rewiring mine so they both stay on when the high beam is switched on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The low beam seems to be just about perfect, which is what I can't understand since the headlight all seems to be the same fixed unit. If the high beam is actually supposed to point that high in the air, it's an absolutely dangerous and useless design unless I'm supposed to be bird spotting in the middle of the night at 60 MPH from a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would not recommend rewiring so that high and low are on at the same time continually-awhile back someone tried that and succeeded in partially deforming the headlight cover due to the excessive heat generated...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
when you ride along at night with the low beam on (on the freeway or something) do you get reflection on streetsigns that are up high, like freeway overpass signs?
if you do, low beam is angled too high, so the whole headlight is aimed too high.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Low beam seems just about perfect but I have no real frame of reference other than to compare it to my car's head lights. It doesn't feel high to me but I'll have the shop look at it when I take it in for the recall notice since they'll be messing around with the headlight anyhow for that repair. I'll post on here what I find out, though it may be a few days.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I went the LED route from Tripage and think its an awesome upgrade from the stock light. I recommend spending the 40 or 50 and getting that done if you ride at night a lot. Super easy install as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can vouch for the LED headlight kit, I ride alot at night and need to have good visibility, the LED headlights beam pattern and light output are a huge improvement over stock. Although, i went with a Genssi led kit from the e-bay.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's adjustment in the headlight with a standard screwdriver, I can't remember the proper height though. I have the led conversion as well and it's a huge improvement

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you don't find sufficient improvement from adjustments to the stock setup, you might consider an economical alternative from a forum sponsor...

Low beam:

High beam:

More information here... http://www.fz09.org/forum/56-tripageled/6110-led-headlight-discount-available-4.html#post115452
I've seen this comparison photo several times, and honestly, other than the stop sign being illuminated, and about 2' more distance of the road illuminated, there's not any more useable light. 2' difference when driving isn't any difference at all...at 60 mph you travel 2 feet in 0.023 seconds. I just can't see from this photo any appreciable increase in visibility. Is it just a bad photo, or is the headlight STILL aimed wrong, even with the LED bulb?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perhaps it is the headlight bulb that is the problem, maybe the filament for the high beam is not aligned properly or something?

I agree, the comparison pics look nearly identical. However it does appear from the picture that the LEDs put a lot of light on the road surface. I really don't care too much about the high beam provided that I have a really good low beam. Thank you for the warning about melting the headlight cover. I have been holding the flasher button in for extended amounts of time when using the high beams at night, I guess I should refrain from doing that. :) It sounds like LED may be the way to go. My biggest concern with LED bulbs is how much light they put into the eyes of oncoming drivers as the headlight lens was really designed to be used with a filament type bulb.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Many folks have reported their FZ09 headlights pointed skyward from the factory. Try adjusting the headlight per the owner's manual so both beams are on the road. Then you'll know what you have before making any changes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think a standard is something like your headlight cutoff should be 6" or so below your light if you park 20' from your garage door.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
as others have mentioned, adjust the vertical headlight aim.

also, the stock headlight bulb is designed to favor long life over performance. a premium bulb from a reputable company (e.g. philips, osram) can make a noticeable improvement. the osram 64205 70/65 and philips x-treme vision are two of the best 'near stock wattage' bulbs you can get.

don't compare a bike's headlights to a car's, you'll almost always be disappointed unless you're driving a hooptie from the 70's.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Tripage LED bulb. Pictures were taken with a Galaxy S4.

No flash, night mode turned off on phone. Low beam Hi beam

Night mode turned on phone with flash. Low beam Hi beam

Picture taken from inside garage to the outside, about 20 feet in distance. All lights turned off in garage. No flash and night mode turned off on the phone.

I was sitting on the bike all the times. The bikes was standing straight.

·
Registered
885 Posts
No flash, night mode turned off on phone. Low beam Hi beam.
Those are nice images, with discreet objects directly ahead to show the high beam's contribution. On my second (high beam) picture, one must look past the stop sign at the brighter house surfaces across the intersection and the street sign near the top, just left of center, to gain a useful comparison.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts