Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left screw says COMP S soft - H hard(*compression) - the right one says something else...Rebound? Damping?

How can each leg perform a particular duty jointly to both fork legs when the forks aren't linked??

I need this explained as the book that came with the 2018 MT09 even stated that each fork leg did something specific to the front end.

Wouldn't turning the left screw only effect the left fork leg?

What am I missing here...

·
Registered
215 Posts
This answer will likely confuse you, but you are correct.
They are not “linked”. They each perform a slightly different task. Think of it as jumping w your left leg and landing w your right. This is a commonly used method for aftermarket as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This answer will likely confuse you, but you are correct.
They are not “linked”. They each perform a slightly different task. Think of it as jumping w your left leg and landing w your right. This is a commonly used method for aftermarket as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But Rebound damping & Compression damping are different...right?

So if I'm in a tight right hand turn - per the manual - I will feel a different set of suspension rebound damping then I would if I am in a tight left hand turn..??

That's sounds utterly crazy.

What, pray tell, is the benefit of having 1 fork leg do one thing and the other a completely different thing..?

This isn't adding up...

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
The forks are linked. By the axle and the triple clamps, they move together and are equally controlled by the separate comp and rebound valving.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
But Rebound damping & Compression damping are different...right?

So if I'm in a tight right hand turn - per the manual - I will feel a different set of suspension rebound damping then I would if I am in a tight left hand turn..??
You would only feel the difference if you loosened up the six bolts that hold the fork tubes in place!

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
And then you'd have a lot worse things to worry about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts