What size do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some time today working out how some Tech Specs might look for the bike. I've used these on my past God-knows-how-many bikes and really like them. They provide a nice grip for the pants (especially non-leather pants), prevent sliding forward under hard braking, protect the tank from scratches, and (IMO) look pretty cool. So, as a dealer, we have full access to their catalog. However, no options yet. Let's make out own! Never heard of them? Check here: Home page

After a few rough templates, this is kinda where things stand.

Initially, the 'LOW' and 'HIGH' patterns presented themselves as the most obvious options. However, after staring at the bike for a while, it became clear that there was another bend in the tank can be seen under certain lighting conditions. Enter the 'MID' option...

The 'LOW' option works well personally in a commuting/cruising position (or heavy braking). The 'HIGH' option provides good coverage for aggressive riding where the legs are moving around the tank. I'm the long-leggedest of the bunch here (31" inseam), but taller riders would use more of the 'HIGH' option more frequently. Still have to do some final trimming of honing of the pattern, but this reflects the general direction. Stay tuned for updates.

So here's the deal - we're going to try and have some fun with this development. A group buy for the initial order will be run after the final design is selected. Vote for your preferred design (vote in poll above and in a post with your rationale), join the group buy, and a member from the winning design pool will be selected at random and refunded for the full price paid. The final price will be determined after the design is selected, but expect an MSRP in the $60-$80 range (Group Buy less for a limited time).

So that said, let's hear your thoughts!

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
Since I plan to spend half of my riding time hanging off the left or right side of the bike while leaning in the corners, I'm going to vote for the "high" one, since that looks to offer more grip in the area where the inside of my knee/leg will be.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Looking at their site, I don't see any designs that aren't essentially curved polygons. Are they able to make them like, for example, flames? And easy to peel off and get right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at their site, I don't see any designs that aren't essentially curved polygons. Are they able to make them like, for example, flames? And easy to peel off and get right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Their tank grips are largely performance oriented, so they tend to take advantage of all available real estate. Naturally, there are limitations to the adhesive and curvature (think trying to wrap a curved surface and getting wrinkles).

They DO do custom designs, but it's strictly a custom order deal. If you wanted to come up with your own design, we can work with Tech Specs to get that design made. Pricing and lead time will vary, and unless there is enormous demand, the design remain a one-off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Might as well cover more area, HIGH!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk now Free

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A member on the other forum mentioned making the 'HIGH' even larger. As in, extending the pad forward over the black plastic, toward the emblem. My knees will never hit it and I'm concerned over adding too much black to the bikes, but...the idea is to solicit customer feedback. This assumes that the extra curves and bends play nice with the adhesive and material. But, thoughts?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Only other thing I'd suggest is go all the way down to bottom of the tank, about an inch and a half below the bottom most crease to the tank seam.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Only other thing I'd suggest is go all the way down to bottom of the tank, about an inch and a half below the bottom most crease to the tank seam.
The current pattern maintains a uniform spacing from the edge of the pad to the edge of the tank, so I did the same on the bottom. I think it would be aesthetically pleasing to fill that section in, I can guarantee, without hesitation, that the pads will not handle that sharp bend radius to the seam. Unfortunately, there are some limitations to the material...

·
Registered
611 Posts
Think you could also make a poll for the material? =)

And, think they would be up for a package deal with tank protectors as well?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Think you could also make a poll for the material? =)

And, think they would be up for a package deal with tank protectors as well?
No need for the separate poll. The kit will be available in all three materials (Snake Skin, Fusion, and C3) :)

If you mean the belt guard protection, it's a possibility. They make six 'generic' styles and tend to let the customer pick and choose their style. I plan to get one of each to show the differences. If it turns out these don't meet our needs, we can look at designing our own.

·
Registered
611 Posts
No need for the separate poll. The kit will be available in all three materials (Snake Skin, Fusion, and C3) :)

If you mean the belt guard protection, it's a possibility. They make six 'generic' styles and tend to let the customer pick and choose their style. I plan to get one of each to show the differences. If it turns out these don't meet our needs, we can look at designing our own.
That's nice we can choose the material =) That's what I am talking about..I think they call them tank protectors

·
Super Moderator
5,708 Posts
I'm kind of like a small child in the car taking a long trip.....................

Are they done yet? :cool:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.