Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holy shit, this thing is fast!! I'm coming off an SV650 where I was WOT all day errday. Now I've got this beast of a thing between my legs, and at 155 soaking wet I can't stay on the bike without holding on for dear life!! I've got the Yamaha comfort seat so there's a lip that keeps me from sliding off the back (may have to ditch it though cause my inseam isn't the longest), but with the wind smacking me straight in the chest there's no telling when I'll be pushed off the back.

How do I tame this beast and really get to experience its full potential without feeling like I'm going to get ejected??

·
Registered
580 Posts
First, stay in "B" mode.

Second, relax.

Third, slow down and learn what the bike is trying to tell you.

Fourth, read or better yet, take a class. There are several books by Keith Code, Nick Ianatch, James Parker to name a few.

If possible, find someone local that can answer more specific questions.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh God...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, stay in "B" mode.

Second, relax.

Third, slow down and learn what the bike is trying to tell you.

Fourth, read or better yet, take a class. There are several books by Keith Code, Nick Ianatch, James Parker to name a few.

If possible, find someone local that can answer more specific questions.
Now what fun is that? This isn't about staying relaxed but literally physics not allowing me to stay on the bike. What's the bike trying to tell me? That it wants to go faster than my body? I've been riding for 7 years, but this is a whole different ride than my SV.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Now what fun is that? This isn't about staying relaxed but literally physics not allowing me to stay on the bike. What's the bike trying to tell me? That it wants to go faster than my body? I've been riding for 7 years, but this is a whole different ride than my SV.
Do you lean forward when accelerating heavily? Are your arms relaxed? Under normal acceleration I can't see how you aren't able to hold on. I've been riding for less time than you, granted I'm a bigger guy, but I found it really not unbearable to manage. As OldSchlPunk said, I had to listen to and connect with the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you lean forward when accelerating heavily? Are your arms relaxed? Under normal acceleration I can't see how you aren't able to hold on. I've been riding for less time than you, granted I'm a bigger guy, but I found it really not unbearable to manage. As OldSchlPunk said, I had to listen to and connect with the bike.
Well I'm only on week 3 so I'll give it time to hear what the bike is saying.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well I'm only on week 3 so I'll give it time to hear what the bike is saying.
As am I, got mine less than a month ago :) It's by no means mastered lol

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
1,813 Posts
You might consider changing handlebars. On my XSR with the OEM bars, I found I caught a lot of wind at highway speeds and I was constantly pulling myself forward with my arms.

I now have a set of Hurricane Swallow bars, and even at 100 mph I have no problem with the wind blast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It is probably that comfort seat that is creating the problem. Send it to me inTennessee and I will send you my stock seat. Since the rest of you did not pick up on the fact that he is 155 lbs soaking wet, this bike is exactly what the designers had in mind when they made the under sprung suspension for us fat guys.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Yes the bike is fast but it is not some over powered high performance monster. Out of the box its about 105 hp at the back wheel which is respectable and it has a very nice flat torque curve that starts at a fairly low rpm. Imo its the throttle which is not very linear especially compared to the sv that you are used to. The bike is still new to you so give it some time for yourself to adapt to the way the throttle responds. If you still find it hard to deal with then a flash will tame the throttle making it much easier to roll on and accelerate smoothly so it wont feel so crazy.

·
Registered
510 Posts
First get a trials bike and learn clutch and throttle control. Then come back here if you still feel like you are going to fall off the back.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
An 09 is quick to 160 km/h or so, over that the litre plus bikes run away and hide. Try a Tuono if you want ridiculous grunt through the rev range.
Every thing your bike does is because you are causing it. The solution is in your right wrist.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I suspect much of what the OP said was TIC. The bike is certainly fast and to me feels very loose in the curves, but that's the appeal of it to me - lots of character. My other bike makes more power and is decidedly faster feeling (esp over 60) and technically better in a lot of ways, but being so small and light really makes the FZ a hoot to ride.

I've often briefly thought about selling it, but for no more than I have in it, there is nothing even remotely as fun to ride, in my book at least.

Get used to the quick throttle response and learn to love the quirkiness of the soft suspension and its piles of torque and I have no doubt you'll love it as much as most of us do....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes the bike is fast but it is not some over powered high performance monster. Out of the box its about 105 hp at the back wheel which is respectable and it has a very nice flat torque curve that starts at a fairly low rpm. Imo its the throttle which is not very linear especially compared to the sv that you are used to. The bike is still new to you so give it some time for yourself to adapt to the way the throttle responds. If you still find it hard to deal with then a flash will tame the throttle making it much easier to roll on and accelerate smoothly so it wont feel so crazy.
I understand that my wrist is responsible for what the bike is doing, but that has nothing to do with the fact that this bike is supposed to go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. How is that possible if you can't stay on the bike to do that?? Seriously, this isn't about being able to control clutch and throttle (thanks cosmoKenney for your input), but rather how to combat physics!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suspect much of what the OP said was TIC. The bike is certainly fast and to me feels very loose in the curves, but that's the appeal of it to me - lots of character. My other bike makes more power and is decidedly faster feeling (esp over 60) and technically better in a lot of ways, but being so small and light really makes the FZ a hoot to ride.

I've often briefly thought about selling it, but for no more than I have in it, there is nothing even remotely as fun to ride, in my book at least.

Get used to the quick throttle response and learn to love the quirkiness of the soft suspension and its piles of torque and I have no doubt you'll love it as much as most of us do....
I'm certainly not going to give the bike up! Just looking forward to being able to become one with it...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I understand that my wrist is responsible for what the bike is doing, but that has nothing to do with the fact that this bike is supposed to go 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. How is that possible if you can't stay on the bike to do that?? Seriously, this isn't about being able to control clutch and throttle (thanks cosmoKenney for your input), but rather how to combat physics!
It's possible if you know how to ride it and lean FORWARD and grip with your knees when accelerating hard.

Takes some time to get used to.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No, it has everything to do with it. It’s called throttle control, if you’re cracking full throttle away from every stop..there’s your issue. There’s a female member on here who’s all of 5’1” if I remember correctly, and she had an early build ‘14 model with a way twitchier throttle than yours and she never ONCE complained about being ‘ejected’ from the bike or an inability to hang on, so clearly it’s the way you are approaching this bike that’s the issue. Physics can be countered with proper body position and a light touch on the throttle. Just put it in ‘B’ mode and stop going WOT away from every stop. Problem solved.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts