Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I at trying to find out the best blend of TC and Mode for me. I am still new riding this bike. It's feel is alot different from my Ninja 1000. It sits tall, really tall. So I though, well I'll use the highest levels of control possible. So I assume that would be TC = 2 and Mode = B. Is this correct? Also, does TC 2 cut the power?

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
You can think of the 'drive' mode as controlling the link between the throttle and the engine only - A mode is like a 'quick turn' throttle while B mode is like a 'throttle tamer' and std mode is in the middle. It doesn't interact with ABS or Traction control - it only effects how your throttle input is delivered by the motor. It has more effect than just the throttle ramp, sort of like the difference after applying a dyno jet kit that has you altering the springs and vacuum holes on a CV carb, but this is a good simple way to think of it.

TCS 2 is the most aggressive Traction control setting - both TCS settings will cut power only when they detect a loss of traction - neither of them interacts to reduce the total power output of the engine (as far as I know). TCS 2 will prevent all but the very slightest of wheelies. TCS 1 will allow for 10" or so of front tire lift before it comes into play. From my experience it seems that the TCS is more sensitive to 'rate of lift' than it is to overall height of the wheelie, but I'm not expert and I've only had my bike for about a 1000 miles so take that input with a grain of salt. In TCS 1 I can lift the front wheel higher with a more controlled slowly rising power wheelie than I can with a 'clutch up' where the front tire just springs into the air.

Overall my recommendation would be, assuming that you have some riding experience (and it sounds like you do) to get familiar with riding in TCS 1 and std mode (I'm coming from a 70's era Yamaha 1100cc UJM). B mode sucks and I'm honestly not sure why Yamaha even includes it other than marketing. The power delivery is very linear on these motors - its easy to ride 'sane' even in A mode (which is where I spend almost all of my time) by simply adjusting where in the rev range you shift/cruise. The only time I find myself going back into STD these days is on very rough roads where the extra sensitivity of A mode makes it difficult to keep the throttle application nice and smooth.

From the owners manual:

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
388 Posts
I use B mode when in traffic or on wash board roads as it makes for a less jerky ride. From all of my research I'd say get a tune! It will fix all the fuel delivery issues and increase your enjoyment. I'm not a fan of any electronics so I turn off traction control almost every ride and usually ride in standard or B if in traffic.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of info, thanks guys. So mode controls throttle response and TC controls traction control. I do have experiance riding, but not with a bike like this. The power in the Ninja 1000 comes up gradually. It really shines in roll on response. This is good for highway, but not much help in local riding. In slower speeds, it was no better than my Ninja 650. The Yammie is a beast down low, so I need to learn to control the throttle. So I will leave it in Mode B for a while, then move up to standard to make it more fun.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I typically ride in STD Mode and TC #2 since I'm not into wheelies much anymore. The only time TC #2 would be interfering noticabley is if you routinely want to lift the front wheel off the ground. STD Mode is good for normal riding and is smooth on my XSR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just 500 miles and a couple weeks in with my new XSR. I've been using Mode B when a have a passenger and STD or A for riding alone. B does make it easier to accelerate smoothly so the passenger doesn't have to constantly hold on for dear life.

i haven't experimented much with TCS yet. I've been keeping it in TCS 1.

·
Registered
259 Posts
for me, TCS1 and STD mode is a great combo. TCS 1 doesn't limit the power before it comes on, but still on enough to help out in an actual need for TCS. Std mode is what I ride in 95% of the time, honestly I forget about the rider modes lol.

Reactions: HotLap

·
Registered
93 Posts
Pretty much been in TCS-1 and A mode since I left the dealership.

When riding with my boy I have it in STD as it is a bit smoother with him on the bike.

Tried TCS-2 once, and never again. Couldn't accelerate without it kicking in.

Reactions: Jaronv74

·
Registered
69 Posts
tcs 2 will cut fueling and make you fly into the tank under hard accelleration and the front wheel comes up. i tested this.

Dave

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
Agree'd, I hate how aggressively TCS 2 cuts and then re-applies full power. I've got 0 experience with TC on other makes/models but it sure seems like the system could be tuned to be much less abrupt. Its less scary and easier to control when the front lifts than the off/on/off/on intervention of the TCS.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Agree'd, I hate how aggressively TCS 2 cuts and then re-applies full power. I've got 0 experience with TC on other makes/models but it sure seems like the system could be tuned to be much less abrupt. Its less scary and easier to control when the front lifts than the off/on/off/on intervention of the TCS.
Correct, I just leave TC on 1 and be done with it. Can still power on in 1st in STD mode and lift the front easily. 2nd just need to be smoother with the clutch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts