Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exhaust Motorcycle Auto part Vehicle Engine Motorcycle accessories Car Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Fuel tank So im sure like many of you when i got the fz i started looking around at aftermarket support. one of the first things that i wanted was a good set of frame sliders in case the worst were to happen. i looked around and didnt see much that i thought would hold up if i went down. pretty much all i could find was either delrin(plastic essentially), or aluminum which didnt look very sturdy. so anyways i found these and they looked sturdy so i figured for $110 shipped i would give them a shot and i wasnt dissapointed they feel very sturdy and i like the design of them because they take into account the amount of force that will be put onto them, hence the connecting bar. plus they match the wheels almost perfectly in color (alittle lighter) but for me i like the fact that they break up all the black. the rear peg delete bracket is nice and in my opinion cleans up the back of the bike, anyways just figured id share

·
Registered
78 Posts
i visited a local fabricator today and started the ball on a street cage today 3 mounting points on each side and cover all the essentials :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
No offense but it just looks like this company just found some scrap metal and whipped something up.. All I see is some hollow rods, angle iron, and some paint.. But if you like it and feel more confident with it that's all that matters.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's not what you want for a frame slider. That actually looks like it could cause MORE damage, in the case of a crash.

Most respectable companies use delrin, or a similar plastic for a reason.

Reactions: Niner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea i definently feel more confident with steel rather than plastic or even aluminum and its actually not angle iron, its square stock turned on its side, my guess is so that in a crash the bar will be less likely to bend

·
Registered
196 Posts
Reactions: JustWantToRide

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
That's not a "frame slider," its a "frame bender" or "frame breaker"....

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
That is the beauty of Delrin, is that it actually absorbs energy, and is sacrificial, again, absorbing energy. It has been proven, crash after crash.

I'd personally be scared to lay down a bike at speed with a rigid metal bar as a slider...

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are called "frame sliders" for a reason, plastic is used so the bike can absorb the energy on impact and then "slide" on the plastic without harming the bike itself. I think those frame sliders (I think someone has made by themself) is most likely going to cut down into the asphalt like Gimlis Bearded Axe
and make damage to the bike and rider.

·
Registered
139 Posts
What is the peg delete? Just a bracket to remount the brake fluid reservoir? I mean at least they should provide a block off plate that hides the factory holes in the bracket. I went with the OES frame slider kit. Front and rear mounting posistion sliders, fork sliders, and axle spindles for $125. Not saying you should get the OES (there are plenty of really great sliders) but I definitely wouldn't want metal bars as sliders. I'm sure you don't want to but ide seriously consider getting ones that will absorb the impact instead of transfering it to the frame/engine.

·
Vendor
2,404 Posts
:confused:
Those look like they are perfect for grabbing onto asphalt and giving the bike a nice tumble instead of sliding like it should...
+1 to everything everyone said about Delrin sliders.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i visited a local fabricator today and started the ball on a street cage today 3 mounting points on each side and cover all the essentials :)

Be interested to see the cage when its done!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You may want to look into getting the T-Rex kit. It's a little more money but it looks like part of the bike instead of a separate entity. The main goal is to protect. Since there is controversy, can you research from the company the validity of them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
You may want to look into getting the T-Rex kit. It's a little more money but it looks like part of the bike instead of a separate entity. The main goal is to protect. Since there is controversy, can you research from the company the validity of them?
There are plenty of threads here explaining why you should stay away from T-Rex at the moment.

As an aside. I'd love to hear about all the little creatures that decide to make a home in the hollow metal ends while it is parked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts