Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to decide on a tankbag for literally the past 2 months and still cant decide what I want to go with. So what are you guys using? I was looking it this one Givi 3D603 Tanklock Tankbag - RevZilla
But i think that is is going to be too small for what I need, I am wanting to get rid of my Kreiga 20 tailbag because I am getting annoyed with having to mess with the straps everytime and get the bag secured to it doesnt slide forward. I want a bag that I can carry my frog togs rain gear in (which fold up extremelt small) my cell phone wallet and a concealed carry weapon with is a pretty small 9mm. I really want to stay with the tanklock style so that I can quickly remove and reinstall the bag but it seems like everything larger that the link above is massively tall. Id rather have something that is wider but lower.
Givi 3D604 Tanklock Tankbag - RevZilla
This one is just huge and sits way too high.
Does anyone have something they are using and like for carrying similar things? I also like the bags with the hard plastic shell.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Ride to a shop that has the ones you are considering, and put it on your bike or a shop bike and see how well it fits what you want.

All the shops I work with will order things like tank bags and jackets and if they turn out not to be what I want, they will send it back and not charge me.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have the same tank bag and I stopped using it because I didn't like it being in my way while leaning in for corners. I now use a tail bag.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I have an old style magnetic tank bag that is fairly small that I almost never use. It's just big enough to hold my rain jacket/pants and a few small items. I bought it for going on long day trips, etc. I also have a mounted tail bag that seems to meet most of my needs, since I never have a passenger. I would recommend that you purchase something larger than smaller, especially if the tank bag will collapse when the space is not needed. Better to have the capacity than not.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I bought the Givi and the ring was sewn in the bag off-center. I didn't find out until after I put a nice round hole in it for a SAE tank bag adapter. Useless and on the shelf now. I can't look at a crooked bag every time I get on the bike, it would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
and a concealed carry weapon with is a pretty small 9mm.

We lead such sheltered lives here in the antipodes, the last thing I would have thought of in a tank bag is a handgun. Still, I do like guns and we aren't allowed handguns here. I've told my wife that on our trip to the States I'm going to fire something full auto.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Full-auto is illegal in the states, but semi-auto is rock and roll legal.
Aren't there ranges where you can fire that stuff? I've had plenty of semi-autos but I can't move my trigger finger fast enough.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Full-auto is illegal in the states, but semi-auto is rock and roll legal.
Full autos (machine guns) are perfectly legal in most states, they're just restricted more...similar to suppressors and short-barrel rifles. You just need to buy the $200 tax stamp, pass a more thorough federal background check, provide fingerprints and a passport photo, and wait 6-18 months for the paperwork to process. Then you're free to take it wherever you want (no crossing state lines) as long as the tax stamp stays with the gun. The cheapest full autos are usually old MAC 10s that start around $5k. Also, the only civi legal machine guns have to be manufactured prior to May 1986 when the ban went into effect.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I prefer to carry my pistol on me. If you carry your pistol on the bike, you can be separated from your gun and that defeats the peruse.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
You can always learn to bump-fire. I caught an SKS on fire doing that. ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
I wish I could carry my vp9 but New York is the worst.

Somewhat back on topic though I bought a sw-motech micro tank bag and it will be in today it's pretty much the smallest bag they make that expands slightly to 5L but I'll see what I can fit in it later. Exactly how small of an area does your rain gear golf up to?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wish I could carry my vp9 but New York is the worst.

Somewhat back on topic though I bought a sw-motech micro tank bag and it will be in today it's pretty much the smallest bag they make that expands slightly to 5L but I'll see what I can fit in it later. Exactly how small of an area does your rain gear golf up to?
I'll be interested in reading what you say about this bag. Any chance of a photo? I'd like to buy the small Givi bag that connects to a tank adapter, but I'll be buying some other stuff from SW-Motech, so it makes sense to buy the tank bag from them to save on P&P.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts