Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may help those of you who seem to be have "fueling issues" with the on-off nature of the throttle. My bandit was a lot smoother after a throttle balancing - they did not get it right from the factory, so that might be the cause here. Although I do suspect that it is just a feature of the bike and fuel injection in general, which tends to be rather on/off at idle.

Switching between Carbed and fuel injected bikes does reveal the difference, but I do like the fuel injection better - and I'm an old fart whose opinion should be the other way around.
What the heck - let the cat fur fly... Lets hear your opinions - I could stand to learn a thing or 2 or 3.

I managed to scratch the paint on the frame near the front tank mounts - be aware of this and protect the paintwork.
As always, if you don't feel confident doing this - you don't have to.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the likes.
I started writing these guides up about 15 years ago - mostly for my own benefit because the manuals don't really cover everything. I used to scribble stuff into the manuals so I could refer to it later.
Sometimes there is a shortcut you can take, or you needed to look out for something that they don't mention.

These guides are really supposed to be a companion to the full workshop manual and with the advent of the internet, being able to post the pictures to the web and share them on forums like this, it just helps us get to terms with the bikes. The guides started in word format, which is hard to use, so I switched to Powerpoint and now PPT allows direct saving to JPG format, which I can put in Photobucket and drop the link in a forum. It's getting easier and the presentations I have to make at work have benefitted from this practice as well.

It has kept me busy over Xmas

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for info and excellent how-to.

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I thought throttle balancing was one of the things that get done on the first service. But then when I look at my receipt I saw no mention of it so dont know if it was done or not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
So what was the outcome of the balance procedure?
is the throttle less "snatchy"?
Is there a difference in A and Standard modes?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For me the throttle balance made no difference as they were so close from the factory. There is likely to always be a bit of difference - compared to a car and compared to a carbureted bike.
I'm not sure what the schedule is supposed to be for the throttle balancing, but I think it stays the same a lot longer than carbs do.
Some of the dead zone can be removed by adjusting the throttle cable slack - no tools required, look for it in the cable up close to the twist grip.

·
Registered
206 Posts
great write up.
I can't agree more with a throttle balance after a few thousand km.
my tenere ran like shit before doing a tb balance, and they were quite a bit out, out of the factory.
so far I have limited seat time, but when I'm ready, will revert back to this thread for info.

btw.. I have a two line tb (electronic type)
I'm guessing that one of they tb's acts as the reference, and the other two are measured against it.
can I simply hook up to the ref. tb, and check the other tb one at a time?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, the #1 body (left side) is the reference.
If you plan ahead, getting a hose on that connector with a plug in the end would be a good plan - it is hard to get to
great write up.

btw.. I have a two line tb (electronic type)
I'm guessing that one of they tb's acts as the reference, and the other two are measured against it.
can I simply hook up to the ref. tb, and check the other tb one at a time?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Is the gas line supposed to spray? I doused myself in gas...always fun!

·
Registered
154 Posts
It's normal for there to be some pressure in the lines. Should not be more than a couple teaspoons of fuel so just cover it with a rag as you pull the line and you should avoid the petrol facial in the future.

Reactions: taggat

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great write up!, My FZ6 was night and day after I balanced the TB's I have not ridden the 09 much due to the fact that I now seem to be living in antartica!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a cheap set of vac gauges on ebay. Just like this: WOW..they were cheap a long time ago. Not so cheap now..for sure go Morgan. But, like this...

4 Carb Carburetor Synchronizer Set for Harley | eBay

They were junk. I felt bad taking up space in the garbage can BAD! They bounced around so much they were useless. I did manage to make them work by installing small brass valves, like this, inline: 1/4 inch Ball Valve | eBay

I used one valve per line, obviously, and they did a good job. You throttle down the valve until the bouncing stops..You dont need to order these. I found mine at Lowes. Look int he plumbing section, air conditioner parts.

I got sick of the set-up and ordered oen of the Morgan Carb tune sets and these are way better.

www.carbtune.com

Still not as nice as the old, Mercury filled ones, but unless you know an old mechanic, good luck finding them.

I recommend goign for the morgan. If you need cheap, there are several versions of a DIY set you can build for 20.00 or less. Something like this:

Carb Sync DIY - $5 - Sportbikes.net

1 - 20 of 50 Posts