Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I've been without a tank bag too long for this bike...the convenience is awesome(being able to carry little things without needing a backpack, a place to store sunglasses or a smoked visor, a microfiber cloth and a spritzer to wipe off my visor when i get bug juice all over during riding, etc...). One thing I've noticed that is that when I park the bike, the upright bars at full lock might interfere with some of the larger bags, depending on the placement, anyone have any experience with this?

Does anyone have any bags they'd suggest? Here are the things I'm looking for:

- Front "map pocket" or phone pocket that will hold a galaxy s5 (important since most are entirely too small)

- Easily accessible front storage area or outside pocket where I can store a microfiber cloth that I can pull off and quickly wipe off my visor during a traffic light .

- Roomy enough to store a spare visor (I commute on the bike probably 4/5 days a week and I work in hospitality management, so I often have funky hours, i.e. leave in the morning and come back at night where a smoked visor would be awful). I alternate glasses/contacts so sunglasses aren't always an option.

- Magnetic mount since I don't want to deal with straps, especially with as much time I spend at the gas station with this bike. I'd rather just pull it off.

I looked at the givi tanklock, and they seem great but extraordinarily expensive. Are they really worth it? A few other options that seem attractive if anyone has any input:

Oxford Magnetic Experience with these..they're very durable and well made.
CorTech Super 2.0 18l (Strap mounted, but seems like a good deal for such a large bag). How much more of a hassle are strap mounted tank bags? I have no experience with them, only magnetics.
Cortech Super 2.0 12l Magnetic
Nelson Rigg CL-2020 Seems great but maybe too big on the bike.
Nelson Rigg CL-1025
FirstGear Silverstone
FirstGear Laguna

Any input would be stellar. Theres 47.35 threads on seats but none on tank bags, lets get the discussion rolling, and hopefully some pics up!

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I run with a small Cortech that does not interfere with my bars or GPS, and I use a Transition shield. Before the shield I used NYX glasses with interchangeable lenses through a clear shield because I hated carrying a spare shield. Now I have to wear prescription glasses due to my lazik wearing off. I always carry my Galaxy in the beast pocket of my coat with my iPod. My Sena handles my connections. Less is more, or more is less.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run with a small Cortech that does not interfere with my bars or GPS, and I use a Transition shield. Before the shield I used NYX glasses with interchangeable lenses through a clear shield because I hated carrying a spare shield. Now I have to wear prescription glasses due to my lazik wearing off. I always carry my Galaxy in the beast pocket of my coat with my iPod. My Sena handles my connections. Less is more, or more is less.
Unfortunately most of those don't apply for me...my helmet doesn't have transition shields available, I won't drop money on a Sena since I run high quality noise isolating IEMs as both earplugs(since they cancel out a tremendous amount of noise) and for playing my music. Having my phone in my pocket makes it difficult to adjust volume or skip songs(and is uncomfortable since it sits right where my backpack chest strap is) . or use it for navigation.

Appreciate the input, but most of it just wouldn't pan out for me, hence why I'm looking for some ideas on tank bags from guys on here.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a FirstGear Silverstone and it's great, well made, sturdy. The only thing I don't like about it is that the the way you put the map into the map compartment with the clear view cover is so small that you have to crumple up the map to put it in there.

I have only put small google map print out in it however. I don't think that a regular folding map would fit into it at all.

Nope, folding map does not fit at all. Map compartment is to small and the opening to it is smaller still.

Reactions: rale

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a Givi tanklock bag, true it is expensive. But it's very easy to take on and off, and the tank ring that it attaches to holds the bag up off the paint.
I had magnetic and strap mounted tanks bags on my previous bikes and there is no comparison to the tanklock bags, there so easy to take on and off.
I have the 4 liter and the 20 liter bag, but the 20 liter one stays on my bike 100% of the time.

The 20 liter has a very large map pocket, you would have to rig something up so your phone doesn't slide around.

I've never regretted spending the money on it, except for the 4 liter bag, since i never use it lol.

Reactions: FZ09R and rale

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Unfortunately most of those don't apply for me...my helmet doesn't have transition shields available, I won't drop money on a Sena since I run high quality noise isolating IEMs as both earplugs(since they cancel out a tremendous amount of noise) and for playing my music. Having my phone in my pocket makes it difficult to adjust volume or skip songs(and is uncomfortable since it sits right where my backpack chest strap is) . or use it for navigation.

Appreciate the input, but most of it just wouldn't pan out for me, hence why I'm looking for some ideas on tank bags from guys on here.
I use high quality custom molded studio moniters, by the way. I just had to get the optional adapter plate for my Sena to plug in to the Sena. My iPod is a Bluetooth unit. No wires. I buy a new helmet every three years for advancement and safety, so I easily justified the expense.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I carry my phone in my pocket in case I am unexpectedly separated from my bike. My thinking is that it may save my life. One of my friends died years ago because he was broken up and laying in the woods and undetectable. This is before cell phones.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use the Cortech Super 2.0 12L Magnetic that you have listed above. It fits the tank perfectly and is very well built. Instead of getting a too large tank bag I opted to get the matching tail bag for the longer trips that require more storage. Cortech is great stuff IMO.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I'll suggest you the Bag connection from Twisted Throttle. It comes with an adapter that goes over the fuel cap and the bag clip on it. I used magnetic bags on my FZ6R and over time it damage the clear on the paint. Now with this clip-on style bag it doesn't touch the tank, and it can be locked. There's feww goodies that attach to it to. Love the GPS mount...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I usually place small microfiber eye glass cleaners under the magnets to be safe. By brother in-law scratched the hell out of his R6 tank from a cheap magnetic bag when the magnets wore through the covering. The fuel cap adapter is great advice if the magnets are a concern.

·
Registered
420 Posts
My bag is MotoCentric magnetic. Used it for a few years now and have no complaints. Previously I used a large bag that required quick-release buckles. Not so good when when you leave the bag at home. The buckles flop around and the straps get stiff and dirty. I don't like the look of the bag for ring-mounted bags when it is off. Some of the guys here use that type and I always marvel at how ugly the mounting ring is.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've got a brand new givi tanklock xs308 xstream 20lt that I'm selling for $125. I dont have the ring for the fz-09 and I never used it. Still has the tags on it. PM if youre interested.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got a brand new givi tanklock xs308 xstream 20lt that I'm selling for $125. I dont have the ring for the fz-09 and I never used it. Still has the tags on it. PM if youre interested.
Oh boy, I wish I would've checked this thread again (it got lost on the second page pretty quick)...I would've scooped it up in a heartbeat.

I ended up getting impatient and going with the Cortech 12l magnetic...actually really happy with it, seems perfectly sized for the tank, just enough space for all my stuff(actually does fit a visor perfectly, taking up barely any space along that back curve), and that map pouch is great for putting a phone in to listen to music or use nav. Bonus is that it doesn't look too bulky on the bike either. Ive had it for about a week and a half now, the magnets aren't obnoxiously strong, but actually hold the thing on there really well. I gave it a test the other night, I was getting home really late and had an empty stretch of highway so I gave it about all it had, and the bag didn't move at all(no windscreen either)

Reactions: FZ-G

·
Registered
420 Posts
It occurred to me that it is possible to scratch the tank with a magnetic bag. The scenario is you put the bag on your desk and it picks up a discarded staple or you put it on your work bench and pickup metal filings. Always be careful where you lay it down. One thing that helps is the magnetic flaps fold over and stick to the bottom of the bag, thus hiding the mounting surface.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I noticed that there are 2 different "big bags" from cortech. Which one did you get? The standard 18L was just a bit to big. At full lock it hits the bars both ways. They sell the 18L in a curved bottom for sportbikes. I returned it and ordered the 12L. I will report back when I get it.

Does anybody have pictures of their bikes with tank bags on?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts