Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new tank bag for general non touring use, had a magnetic bag on my SV650 but am thinking of something else for the 09. Maybe this one, RevZilla.com has them for $77.
Cortech :: Luggage :: Super 2.0 12L Tank Bag

Euro Yamaha has an interesting bag:
Yamaha Motor Europe - Genuine Accessories Catalogue - Motorcycles, Scooters, ATV, Marine and Lifestyle
Look at page 2, bottom row. A mount ring bolts around the fuel cap and the bag clips to it. The mount can be ordered separately, I am not sure if that is so you can use the bag on multiple bikes or because it doesn’t come with the bag.

Which type, brand etc. of bag are you thinking of for the 09?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I like the joe rocket mantra I use the small bag for day rides and the large one for multi day trips. They are well made and are priced right at motorcycle superstore

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made my own quick release tank bag (Details Here) using a Cortech Dryver tank ring. Since according to the web site you linked the same tank bag fits both the FZ09 and the FZ6 then I would guess that you could do the same thing for the FZ09. The tank ring was only about $20 and the tank bag was on sale for $65. Those 2 plus some plywood, nuts and bolts and voila.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eolith, the ring is 2 parts, one bolts around the gas cap without modification, the other attaches to bag. I don't know how the bag goes off/on for fueling etc. Slide? Twist? Easy or do you have to pay attention every time you do it? I'm coming from a magnetic bag, brainless lol.

Did Revzilla say anything more about it?

scottie?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Here are the quotes from the Q&A on their site (using the link posted above, scroll down and click the Q&A tab )

There are screws/bolts that hold the gas cap onto the gas tank. The screws/bolts that come with the Ring Mount replace those bolts.

The Ring Mount screws/bolts are longer than the screws/bolts that hold the gas cap on.

It's really easy to mount the Ring Mount to the tank.
The screws replace those already on your bike, that hold the ring you see around your gas tank opening. These screws will be longer and hold the Cortech ring in place on your bike, and the bag attaches to that. If you ride without the "bag", you will still have this plastic ring attached. I bought this bag when I had a Yamaha motorcycle, and when I got a Kawasaki had to order a different ring/screw set so the bag would attach to that bike. So make sure you get the right ring/screws for your model.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have been able to avoid scratches with mag bags by:
keeping tank clean and waxed
never drag bag
attach cheesecloth to underside of bag

·
Super Moderator
5,701 Posts
Personally, I like to put a "tank bag"on the rear seat area or buy a tail bag. I never ride a passenger so it's not a big deal to me and its out of the way if I need to tuck down. See my pics in my photo thread.

Reactions: DNFDOUG

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You mount the base ring around the fuel filler on the bike. THe second ring is attached to the base of the bag. The ring on the bag can be moved fore or aft to position the bag the way it needs to fit a particular bike. To mount the bag, the bag needs to be turned clockwise a quarter of a turn, slide the bag ring inside the tank ring, twist counter clockwise to lock it in place. Twist and slide baby.

With that said, I hate having a ring sticking up from my tank as I don't use a bag all of the time. I am not real happy with plastic tanks because I hate mounting a strap system to the bike, and seriously, I have been using magnet bags since their invention, and I always carefully place the bag straight down and up without scratching the tank at all. In 44 years of riding, I have never scratched a street bike, and I have never dropped one. I must say that I have flipped a wheelie though. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts