Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is enough chain length on a new 2015 FZ-09 to replace the 16 tooth countershaft sprocket with a 17 tooth. Just got my bike 400 miles ago and I feel it needs some taller gearing. The 17 sprocket is a start which should result in a 6% reduction.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes, you'll have plenty of chain length for the 17 tooth sprocket. I'm about to do it with my bike now that I have the sprocket in hand.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I regeared my Triumph Tiger by adding one tooth in front and dropping one in the rear. That way my chain adjustment was still in the middle of the range. Run a gps when done to know your actual speeds. It doesn't change gas mileage much, but provides a more relaxed cruising rpm.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm thinking about doing a 1up in the front myself. Not to worried about the cruising rpm as this bike keeps them low. Just want to calm it down a little.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW> AFAM has the following sprockets for the FZ-09 16 and 17 countershaft #'s 21607-16 or 21607-17 and the rears from 42-47 #'s 12815-42 thru 47.
Thanks for the quick response and let me know how you like the results of the 17 on the front.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Although there is enough space in the adjusters, the axle slot limits the distance the rear wheel can slide forward enough that the stock chain won't fit the 17t sprocket . I didn't know until I tried it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Although there is enough space in the adjusters, the axle slot limits the distance the rear wheel can slide forward enough that the stock chain won't fit the 17t sprocket . I didn't know until I tried it.
I have my 17t front sprocket in hand, will be installing later this week, ill let you know if this is correct, would think there would be a bunch of guys saying it if it was. Hope he is wrong as I have already paid for the sprocket.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I went down 2 or 3 teeth in the rear and left the front stock. I tried even fewer teeth but did not care for it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just received my 17T from AFAM in the mail today. I hope it fits?? I'd rather go up a tooth in the front than change the rear.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I orders my 17t front sprocket today too. :) Someone said they had to file a little bit of the slot down for the chain to fit. If it does not fit I may look for a 44t rear sprocket to go with it, that should make the chain fit perfectly (+1 front, -1 rear). I wanted to go up in the front because it puts less strain on the chain too.

If worse comes to worse wait a little bit, eventually it will fit :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Run the chain at factory spec tension for a few miles, guaranteed to fit then.
ps. don't actually do that.
Is that why my chain was so tight when I brought it home from the dealer? The first thing I did was loosen it up! I was afraid it was going to damage the transmission bearings. :(

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NEED SOME HELP River. Did you use an impact wrench to take the front sprocket nut off. Mine will not come off with my 30mm 1/2 drive socket. I bent the two punch marks back but no luck. Does the nut come off counterclockwise. Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
NEED SOME HELP River. Did you use an impact wrench to take the front sprocket nut off. Mine will not come off with my 30mm 1/2 drive socket. I bent the two punch marks back but no luck. Does the nut come off counterclockwise. Thanks
put a board through the wheel and let it press against the swing arm. never put the force on your transmission.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is that why my chain was so tight when I brought it home from the dealer? The first thing I did was loosen it up! I was afraid it was going to damage the transmission bearings. :(
Mine was tight as hell too. Its insane.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am getting old so I usually just throw a 24" 3/8 socket extension and deep socket over the end of the breaker bar for leverage.

·
Registered
654 Posts
haven't done mine yet but from previous experience on other bikes, I second the put a board or breaker bar wrapped in a towel through the wheel (towel so you don't scratch the wheel or swing arm)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.