Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

First post here and in the process of buying a new bike and think I have narrowed it down to the fz 07 or 09.

Took a 07 out for a demo ride for 20 odd minutes. I really liked. Sweet power and love how it feels like a 75 hp mountain bike. So nimble. However I'm 6'2" with about 33" inseam. I felt somewhat "big" on the bike. Hard to explain. Don't think my knees hit the underside of the tank just right. Had to push myself all the way back in the seat. Was still very temped to purchase it though. Liked it that much. Plus heard about better suspension and throttle mapping than 09.

I did come back and sit on the 09. And legs tucked under tank nicely (and I think it's slightly higher seat). Felt better but that seat felt like sitting on a 2x4.

Have not had a chance to arrange a ride on the 09 yet.

Did some of you taller riders go thru a similar process? What steered you one way or the other. Ergonomics of 09 better for taller riders?

Scott

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The FZ07 is rather small. Anybody over 5'10 will feel odd riding it. I'm 5'10 170lbs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I rode both bikes back to back at a Yamaha demo event. I'm your same size and loved the 07 motor but I felt big on it. I had a buddy take a picture of me on it and that said enough, it looked TINY with me on it. The 09 fit me much better and while I liked the engine in the 07 a lot, the 09 was a missile and that's why I bought it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cd599, Odd is sort of how I felt.

Pandru, felt much the same. Liked the suspension and motor on the 07. Power is not a too important a criteria. Currently ride a Vstrom so get up and go of the 07 was plenty for me. Think I might feel much like you when I get a ride on the 09. Will suit my lanky frame better. Glad to hear I'm not the only one here who feels like a bit of a gorilla on these smaller bikes. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I rode the FZ-09, FZ-07 and SVF650 back to back to back at a demo event also. The FZ-07 and SVF650 are super cool bikes but I felt tall on both of them and I'm only 6'0". The FZ-07 seemed taller than the Suzuki but the FZ-09 was clearly the tallest of the three. I ended up using ForumSensei's logic...$1000 for what felt like twice as much power seemed like a no-brainer. In hindsight I'll never use all the FZ-09's power but its nice to know it's there. I really like the looks of the FZ-07 though. Either bike is a great choice.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm tippy toe on my r6 an fz09. To me that has never been a determining factor and don't feel it would be the other direction.

My advice, wait to purchase after you've rode both. Playing the what if game, or worse yet regret later is not fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm tippy toe on my r6 an fz09. To me that has never been a determining factor and don't feel it would be the other direction.

My advice, wait to purchase after you've rode both. Playing the what if game, or worse yet regret later is not fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eager to get into new bike but not so eager that won't do my due diligence and give both a ride. Going to try and set up 09 ride this week if the damn weather would just agree with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I rode the FZ-09, FZ-07 and SVF650 back to back to back at a demo event also. The FZ-07 and SVF650 are super cool bikes but I felt tall on both of them and I'm only 6'0". The FZ-07 seemed taller than the Suzuki but the FZ-09 was clearly the tallest of the three. I ended up using ForumSensei's logic...$1000 for what felt like twice as much power seemed like a no-brainer. In hindsight I'll never use all the FZ-09's power but its nice to know it's there. I really like the looks of the FZ-07 though. Either bike is a great choice.
Thanks EZ. Getting the feeling I am on the right track with the 09. Think I was just worried that I am so used to the Vstrom and that is why it felt odd and like I was oversized for it. But if others had some similar "big for the bike feelings" on the 07 then maybe I'm not being too paranoid. Lol.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
Your question was between the FZ-07 and -09. If height is the main issue, what about the FJ-09? More money still, but more plusses overall, especially height. Maybe you should ride all three. I also heard that the new XSRs have more seat height than the FZ-09. Maybe you need four test rides.

By the way, I'm just shy of 6' with 32" inseam with stock seat and my FZ-09 feels perfect. Never cramped or crowded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your question was between the FZ-07 and -09. If height is the main issue, what about the FJ-09? More money still, but more plusses overall, especially height. Maybe you should ride all three. I also heard that the new XSRs have more seat height than the FZ-09. Maybe you need four test rides.

By the way, I'm just shy of 6' with 32" inseam with stock seat and my FZ-09 feels perfect. Never cramped or crowded.
Will have a look at the Fj when I stop by the dealership. But I think I am a little vain in that I can't help but like the naked looks of the Fz bikes.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I'm 6' 2.5"/35" inseam. I'm comfy on the 09, but borderline on the 07 (wasn't terrible). The FJ was even better but, like you, I wanted a sportier bike. Buy the FZ-09.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I rode both bikes back to back at a Yamaha demo event. I'm your same size and loved the 07 motor but I felt big on it. I had a buddy take a picture of me on it and that said enough, it looked TINY with me on it. The 09 fit me much better and while I liked the engine in the 07 a lot, the 09 was a missile and that's why I bought it.
I love the FZ-07, especially in white. But my daughter took a picture of me on it and I looked like I was on her XR80. I knew it felt small for me at 6'3", but I didn't realize it was that small. Still think it's a great bike and would love an XTZ-07 as long as they make it taller.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I rode a FZ-07 before I road a 9. It was on a track as part of the YCRS Demo Ride program. The only ergo mod to the bike was the Woodcraft clip-on conversion package. I felt like I fit well enough, and I giggled like a girl the whole time I rode it. Felt so light and flickable. I went with the 9 only because my ego wouldn't let me get the less powerful bike for basically the same money.

I'm 6'7" BTW. To hell with what I look like on the bike. I only care about how I feel on it. I gave up on looking cool a long time ago and have been all the more happier for it.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love the FZ-07, especially in white. But my daughter took a picture of me on it and I looked like I was on her XR80. I knew it felt small for me at 6'3", but I didn't realize it was that small. Still think it's a great bike and would love an XTZ-07 as long as they make it taller.
Had a friend take a pic of me on the 07 and much like yourself, I knew I felt odd and somewhat big. The pic really seemed to confirm it. Sometimes being tall is not all its cracked up to be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I rode a FZ-07 before I road a 9. It was on a track as part of the YCRS Demo Ride program. The only ergo mod to the bike was the Woodcraft clip-on conversion package. I felt like I fit well enough, and I giggled like a girl the whole time I rode it. Felt so light and flickable. I went with the 9 only because my ego wouldn't let me get the less powerful bike for basically the same money.

I'm 6'7" BTW. To hell with what I look like on the bike. I only care about how I feel on it. I gave up on looking cool a long time ago and have been all the more happier for it.

Mike
Holy crap. You must be a yoga master or something. I can't imagine being that tall and being on the 07.

·
Registered
150 Posts
FZ-07 felt really cramped when I rode it at a demo ride.

About the '09 seat, it's meant to be narrow toward the front of the seat, but when you get moving you can sit farther back. It's more meaty back there. I can go a few hours before it bothers me but ymmv.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts