Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am currently a mostly happy owner of a 2017 XSR900 in Australia.
The bike looks so sexy with my mods, and has been excellent as a commuter. It's reliable and I can do pretty much all of the servicing myself.

However, I now mostly work from home, and my riding has changed from sporty jaunts to touring oriented riding, often with pillion.
The XSR has jarringly tough suspension (i have put in lighter fork oil, and an aftermarket shock which itself was a mission, check out my other threads). It also has a tough seat and no wind protection. I am tall and broad so feel this strongly on my shoulders more than anything.

I am borderline tempted to buy a GS1250, I can accept the capital expenditure but I am worried about servicing costs, and I already own a DR650 which i'd prefer to ride on the dirt anyway, especially given my intermediate skill level.
I always thought the tracer was a little ugly, and not different enough from my XSR900 to upgrade to. However, the Tracer 9 GT changes that. Good looking, longer swing arm, bigger tank, better subframe for comfort & luggage & pillion, cruise control etc. It honestly looks as good as the BMW XR and Ducati Multistrada now, in my subjective opinion

My options:
1) Buy the Tracer 9 GT, hopefully early next year as a demo or previous year model (unless it gets a new screen, then I'll wait and pay more! Stupid snorkel look). This will be a $10k change over from my XSR900 which is significant but I can afford it. The bike appears to be sporty, but comfortable for touring, and I can service it myself.

2) Wait for the XSR900 SP model to come out on the new chassis with cruise control and high end suspension. Get a custom seat, top box and rack, and get a nice windscreen from Dart which will get the wind off my chest but won't be a totally comfortable cocoon as most sports tourers have. Will be a compromise, but could work for me. Will be slightly cheaper than the Tracer, but not by much. This model isn't released yet, I am assuming it will be announced in November assuming it will be rolled out last again, as with the last cycle (MT09 Then Tracer Then XSR900)

3) Upgrade my XSR900 and live without cruise control, longer swing arm, small tank. Pay ~$1500 for fork cartridges, then a seat, screen, top box for more $$

4) Get a Versys 1000 or Vstrom 1050 (bigger bikes that will be less sporty and may be poor if I have to commute again)

I will most likely pull the trigger early 2022, depending on my work/commute/finance factors. In Sydney we are still in a ridiculous lockdown and facing vaccine seggregation so I do not want to make a large financial decision until I have certainty of being able to leave the local area and do some proper motorcycling! This has also prevented me from doing any test rides.

Hopefully a few people have gone through similar thoughts. I know I wish I'd considered my luggage purchases more on the XSR900, i.e. I went for Kriega throw over saddlebags when the SW Motech system would have been better despite a higher cost (the throw overs were tedious to open, secure, remove... and then I lost them on a back road, never to be found along with my awesome goretex pants liners and a few other expensive bits. Darn)

Yes, this is in the Tracer forum as I am biased towards the Tracer currently! Happy to hear any stories and banter about your own motorcycling pathways

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think you should go for the tracer 9 ... Best package out there and the engine and electronics package is amazing ..this is coming from someone who owned a GS and now has 21 mt09sp.
Love the bike and how it handles .. my assumption is the 9gt is close but with more comfort.
Aleks
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think you should go for the tracer 9 ... Best package out there and the engine and electronics package is amazing ..this is coming from someone who owned a GS and now has 21 mt09sp.
Love the bike and how it handles .. my assumption is the 9gt is close but with more comfort.
Aleks View attachment 167560
I had a low susspension r1200GS for 3 years, put about 50,000 km on it, it was very comfortable and capable when touring but a little heavy in town for me, 170cm tall with 30" inseam. And yes, it was passed the time for valve service, relatively expensive service.

I bought 2021 Tracer 9 GT early July 2021. Right after engine brake in period, I went for 6500km touring Eastern CANADA. Tracer 9 GT is very light loaded with touring gears compare to my r1200GS, as comfortable as GS and ample power for rider+passenger + loaded side bags and top box.

The only major problem with my 2021 Tracer GT (No one else seem to have this issue) is every time I wash/dry the bike a warning light is on for a few hours. And in this long touring trip I rode in heavy rain for a few hours, right LCD was OFF for two days, then it was ON/OFF for a few days (video here
) and switches that control dash, engine mode, etc... all stopped working for 3 weeks.

My bike is with Yamaha dealership for four weeks now, they have not fixed it yet, back and forth communication between dealership and Yamaha Canada is taking forever), I am getting frustrated with their slow progress and lack of communication with me.

Hopefully they can permanently fix this issue with bike because overall I like 2021 tracer 9 gt. But if this rain/water related issues come up it again, I will go back to BMW r1250GS.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I had a low susspension r1200GS for 3 years, put about 50,000 km on it, it was very comfortable and capable when touring but a little heavy in town for me, 170cm tall with 30" inseam. And yes, it was passed the time for valve service, relatively expensive service.

I bought 2021 Tracer 9 GT early July 2021. Right after engine brake in period, I went for 6500km touring Eastern CANADA. Tracer 9 GT is very light loaded with touring gears compare to my r1200GS, as comfortable as GS and ample power for rider+passenger + loaded side bags and top box.

The only major problem with my 2021 Tracer GT (No one else seem to have this issue) is every time I wash/dry the bike a warning light is on for a few hours. And in this long touring trip I rode in heavy rain for a few hours, right LCD was OFF for two days, then it was ON/OFF for a few days (video here
) and switches that control dash, engine mode, etc... all stopped working for 3 weeks.

My bike is with Yamaha dealership for four weeks now, they have not fixed it yet, back and forth communication between dealership and Yamaha Canada is taking forever), I am getting frustrated with their slow progress and lack of communication with me.

Hopefully they can permanently fix this issue with bike because overall I like 2021 tracer 9 gt. But if this rain/water related issues come up it again, I will go back to BMW r1250GS.
I hate to say it, but this kinda eschews me away from purchasing one or at least taking it in the rain or washing it

Reactions: Lolrick

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aleks
How do you find going from a GS to the MT09? I see plenty of people say the later GS is the holy grail, only thing you wouldn't have one for is if you don't leave town

I hate to say it, but this kinda eschews me away from purchasing one or at least taking it in the rain or washing it
On my 2017 XSR, I had one of the dash buttons tear within warranty period, Yamaha Australia didn't want to know about it. I know others have had issues with the screens dying and are very expensive to replace (and sometimes difficult to source). I think this affects all new bikes (and cars).

Motorbikes aren't built the way they were pre GFC, it really did a number on the Japs. My neighbour had a 2006(ish) Honda VFR800, the fit and finish was perfect, barely any plastic to be seen. Modern bikes, however - things will break, especially plastic or electrical components, and it's difficult and expensive to fix as it's not mechanical.
Cars are the same - stupid electrical things go after 5 years and cost a bomb to fix. This has always plagued European cars, but Japanese are now similarly affected. Things aren't built to last anymore, whether on purpose or because of smaller margins & tolerances. I'm scared the keyless entry system on my girlfriends Hyundai Veloster is on the way out, it'll cost thousands to fix.

I think that financially you are not much worse off buying a new/ish bike every 3-5 years, the depreciation costs will outweigh service and repair costs (or come close). Repairing a bike is a serious hassle and headache and makes me love the bike less, especially if I try to diagnose/fix it before I take it to a mechanic, which I do and can cause stress. Diagnosing an intermittently faulty mass airflow sensor on my car took months and months and I changed various parts before i found the culprit. In the meanwhile, i got anxiety driving because it was a 50/50 chance that when I hit boost, there would be a massive fuel cut, it's not a nice feeling and sound!

I also take safety relatively seriously. Upgrading to a bike with IMU and turning ABS could save me from a spill, which would immediately pay itself off in terms of replacing gear, repairs, and potentially medical costs/time off work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
holy grail
My 2014 R1200GS was totaled in an accident, it was time to change to something different and lighter, 2021 Tracer 9 GT seemed to be the one, I can tour on it for weeks comfort, its not as capable as GS, but i bought my Tracet 9 GT for half price of a new 1250GS.

·
Registered
92 Posts
@Lolrick the GS for me was a bike that I bought because most people told me at 6.4 you won't find another bike that suits you better. It is comfortable and great bike but mine was very bad with rust after 2.5k
.... I wouldn't own one without a warranty.
The 09 comes after my t700sm which was amazing. I think the mt09 is such a fun toy and I rarely go on motorways. It's good for me for 3 4 hours whitout any issues and I love the engine and the chassis. Naked bikes work best for me as there is no buffeting and you get a sens for the speed so you don't end up doing 140mph.
Triple engine is addictive and feels miles ahead of the boxer... Gearbox as well.
I would not go back to a GS as it is a very heavy bike and has a tractor like drivetrain.
Aleks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My 2014 R1200GS was totaled in an accident, it was time to change to something different and lighter, 2021 Tracer 9 GT seemed to be the one, I can tour on it for weeks comfort, its not as capable as GS, but i bought my Tracet 9 GT for half price of a new 1250GS.
Sorry to hear, mate! Hope you're OK.

@Lolrick the GS for me was a bike that I bought because most people told me at 6.4 you won't find another bike that suits you better. It is comfortable and great bike but mine was very bad with rust after 2.5k
.... I wouldn't own one without a warranty.
The 09 comes after my t700sm which was amazing. I think the mt09 is such a fun toy and I rarely go on motorways. It's good for me for 3 4 hours whitout any issues and I love the engine and the chassis. Naked bikes work best for me as there is no buffeting and you get a sens for the speed so you don't end up doing 140mph.
Triple engine is addictive and feels miles ahead of the boxer... Gearbox as well.
I would not go back to a GS as it is a very heavy bike and has a tractor like drivetrain.
Aleks
I agree with the sense of speed - cruising at 120 really makes you hold onto the bars and tucked in, whereas on the VFR sitting at 160 was no different to 100 (kms not miles an hour)
We are over policed in Australia so most of the time I'm riding relatively compliantly.
However, sitting on 110km/h for long stretches, I'd prefer to have a screen stopping me from having fatigue in my shoulders and arms and back just from trying to fight the wind pressure.

Now that you mention it, I've noticed that naked bikes are super popular now, sports bikes and sports touring are less and less common.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to add, regarding the Tracer, I am a bit concerned about the semi active suspension having no adjustability. I've just spent a lot of time and a fair bit of money learning about the benefits of adjustable suspension, I'm a bit concerned that I'd spend well over $20k AUD on a bike and not be able to adjust it beyond modes: Sporty or Softer.

Also, where do the sports touring bikes fit into the equation? Ninja 1000SX, new GSXS1000, FJR etc

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just wanted to add, regarding the Tracer, I am a bit concerned about the semi active suspension having no adjustability. I've just spent a lot of time and a fair bit of money learning about the benefits of adjustable suspension, I'm a bit concerned that I'd spend well over $20k AUD on a bike and not be able to adjust it beyond modes: Sporty or Softer.

Also, where do the sports touring bikes fit into the equation? Ninja 1000SX, new GSXS1000, FJR etc
If you find a sporrtourer comfortable you should try the Kawasaki ninja1000.
Very good bike and has a good engine if you are happy with a 4 cylinder.
Aleks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you find a sporrtourer comfortable you should try the Kawasaki ninja1000.
Very good bike and has a good engine if you are happy with a 4 cylinder.
Aleks
Have you tried one yourself? I'm definitely open to it. I'm worried that the pillion comfort will be compromised. I may be spoilt with the upright position of the XSR900 as well

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have you tried one yourself? I'm definitely open to it. I'm worried that the pillion comfort will be compromised. I may be spoilt with the upright position of the XSR900 as well
Haven't got to it as I tried the mt09 and knew this was the bike for me... 🤩

·
Registered
428 Posts
I currently own an FJ09, prior to buying the 09 I test rode the Ninja 1000 and Versys 1000. -For me- the ergonomics of the Ninja 1000 ergonomics were WAY too sportbike for my comfort, especially the cramped knee and hip angle, otherwise I LOVED everything else about the bike, power, handling, features etc.
In comparison to the 09, the Versys was physically larger but VERY comfortable, as soon as I started the test ride, I immediately wanted to get on the highway for a multi-state road trip. I am seriously considering keeping the FJ as my local sporty ride and getting a Versys or similar as a longer distance ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts