Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If this doesn't get your heart pumping I don't know what will. Make sure to watch with sound:

This is the reason lane splitting/white lining/lane sharing is legal in California and most other countries of the world. This isn't me FYI, thanks for your concern though!

-z

Reactions: ktk_ace

·
Registered
666 Posts
Jeebus. That gave me goosebumps and a shiver, no shit.
I read in a MC book somewhere that part of the reason for lane splitting being legal in Ca was to keep air cooled bikes from overheating.

I almost always lane split here in overcrowded Orange County, at least when it's safe and there's plenty of room. There was this one time where I got off the 5 NB @ University in Irvine on my old DR650. Just approaching the back of the line up when suddenly I see a car in the mirror coming around the fast sweeping exit, barreling down on me, driver looking down at his junk. Had one eye on the cars I was approaching, and one eye in the mirror, trying not to over brake and end up rear-ended. The guy looks up from his lap, eyes go wide, and then full locked up brakes. Close one, maybe 10 feet from getting slammed. Happened pretty damned fast, and in hindsight I should have veered left for the grass.

Don't let your guard down. Yeah and lane splitting is okay by me.

Fast sweeping freeway exit
university nb exit.jpg

·
Registered
883 Posts
Stopped for some reason on a fairly fast road makes me as uncomfortable as any situation.

Riding my Yamaha Morphous, I've had one car slam on the brakes, swerve, and skid through the gravel on the road shoulder, finally stopping beside me, while I was stopped for a school bus in the opposing lane. One would think a yellow school bus with flashing red lights and a side-mounted stop sign (with its own flashing red lights!) would be perfectly obvious. Not sure what the driver behind me was doing or thinking, but the only thing she did right was not hitting me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh man, this is probably my biggest fear on the road in this age of smartphones. Glad you didn't get hurt! I'm sure you had some choice words for that guy right after you got your drawers cleaned out!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stopped for some reason on a fairly fast road makes me as uncomfortable as any situation.

Riding my Yamaha Morphous, I've had one car slam on the brakes, swerve, and skid through the gravel on the road shoulder, finally stopping beside me, while I was stopped for a school bus in the opposing lane. One would think a yellow school bus with flashing red lights and a side-mounted stop sign (with its own flashing red lights!) would be perfectly obvious. Not sure what the driver behind me was doing or thinking, but the only thing she did right was not hitting me.
Would almost guarantee they were checking Facebook

·
Registered
182 Posts
If this doesn't get your heart pumping I don't know what will. Make sure to watch with sound:

This is the reason lane splitting/white lining/lane sharing is legal in California and most other countries of the world. Just in case those of you who don't enjoy the privilege think it SHOULD be illegal.

-z
Why was everyone stopped in the first place? I couldn't really tell but it looked like a car had stopped because the bikes were stopped? Really close though, lucky.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont think it was Z, right?...its just some crazy video he found
Yeah definitely wasn't me lol I'm in SoCal this is eastern US. Thanks for your concern though everyone!

Eolth, pull between cars if you can. Never take your bike out of gear while waiting at a stop light of sign because you never know when some idiot is going to try to make a sandwich out of you. It's sometimes hard to tell if a bike is behind a car/truck. Always look behind while waiting.

Reactions: rhettmania

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
No I saw this video posted on another forum about a year ago.

Reactions: zloikish

·
Registered
734 Posts
There is a good thing to learn here. Keep off to the side , give yourself a out , watch your mirrors. What If u were stopped in line with the vehicle

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
years ago i was waiting at a stoplight behind a bunch of cars. i usually split lanes to get to the front (not legal), but this time for some reason i didn't. bike was in gear, but pointed straight ahead. was watching my mirrors and saw a car coming up behind me way too fast. without even really thinking, i took off in between the cars. it's a good thing i did, and that i had enough space between me and the car in front of me to make the maneuver, because the car that was coming up from the rear slammed into the car that was in front of me hard enough to cause a minor pileup.

always maintain situational awareness, and always have a way out.

i've made it a habit of flashing my brake lights with my brake pedal (it's easy to adjust the rear brake switch to be extra sensitive) when cars are coming up behind me at a stoplight, or when i think they're tailgating.

there are aftermarket electronic devices available that can be set up to flash your brake lights on brake application, like the brake light pro from healtech (warning: adobe flash site with loud music on by default):

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/

ultimately there is no substitute for rider awareness.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i've seen this a lot....she probably wasn't aware that traffic from both directions are supposed to stop for a school bus. or she just wasn't paying attention.

sadly, it's not enough to know and follow the rules of the road. you also need to keep in mind that other motorists don't.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
This happens all the time in jersey. Anytime I stop I never put the bike in neutral and I'm always looking in my mirrors. Too many people talking on cellphones.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Nuetral is for Switzerland not intersections.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That situation is why i always monitor my mirrors. Ditto on bobby's advice... always have a way out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts