Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called yoshimuru and spoke to a tech about the exhaust.My main question was what fuel controller they would recommend with the exhaust and he informed me that none was needed! I was surprised but he filled me in on why,cant remember it all but he knew his stuff.I am still skeptical but curious if yoshi owners have had any extreme lean issues by installing the full exhaust? From what i have seen,the exhaust flows well and produces good HP,surprised by his response tho. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
This is repeated by nearly all aftermarket exhaust manufacturers. However, it appears that on a dyno, they are always proven wrong.

If an exhaust promises performance, the fueling should be changed. Id like to see the AFRs with a full system and no tune.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Unless a bike is made to run rich from the factory (never happens because of pollution standards), anytime you put an aftermarket exhaust on that allows more flow through it and don't change the fueling, it will cause the bike to run in the lean direction. The question becomes, how lean? Of course different exhausts are made differently and some flow better than others. An aftermarket pipe that doesn't flow much differently from a stock exhaust, isn't going to run much leaner. If for example you put an Arrow exhaust on the bike, like I did and many of the folks here on the forum did, you will need to decide if you are going to run with the D.B. killer in or the D.B. killer removed. If you run the bike with the Arrow (or any brand) exhaust, and it flows more than stock, you are running in a lean condition.....just depends on how open the exhaust is. That is why, when the mapping was done for the Arrow, you have an option with Stoltec when he flashes the ECU.....you can get the mapping with the D.B. in or mapping with the D.B. removed.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A pipe company doesn't want to say "Oh, after you spend a thousand bucks for our exhaust you will have to spend hundreds more to get it running right".

Maybe they'd be more likely to say it if they sold the pipe and fueling as a package, but that would make an already expensive pipe cost even more, lots of riders would buy from companies saying "no fueling change needed".

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust (regardless of witch one you would use) will run perfectly fine with the DBK in. Out is a different story. Would it make your engine grenade? No... but it will run poorly. The 09 run a bit fat at top end... making it about ok at top end. Mid range will run lean as FK! This is where the most gain will comes from a good tune.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the imput!! I kinda figured it would be running on the lean side but even will the full yoshi exhaust and Dbk in it seems like it would be corked up like the stock exhaust. Its nice to get honest responses from riders who have changed exhausts.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have the arrow exhaust and run it with the stock mapping and the DB Killer in. Get some light popping on decel occasionally, but not enough to make want to buy a pc5 or anything. Not to mention this bike is fast enough. So if i did get a tune it would be less about performance and more about perfection. But meh.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
They can't tell you to go buy another companies product. So they'll never admit to it. All bikes, even stock, need a dyno tune/ecu flash. All. Yes, all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where do you go to get a dyno tune/ecu flash. the Yamaha shop. I live in Mississippi new to street bikes and getting a Yoshi 7/28/2014 any help?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where do you go to get a dyno tune/ecu flash. the Yamaha shop. I live in Mississippi new to street bikes and getting a Yoshi 7/28/2014 any help?

This forum's search feature is your friend. I doubt that Yamaha dealer has what you are looking for. Just search for ECU Flash/Fuel Mapping/PCV (Power Commander)/etc...

·
Registered
187 Posts
google motorcycle dyno tuner mississippi. and for the flash, 2 wheel dynoworks does most of the fz09 flashing now (yes its the same product stoltect was selling)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
it seems like everyday someone asks this question before doing a search on the forum.. can someone pick a thread that discusses this and make it a sticky so its easy to find?

·
Registered
187 Posts
welcome to internet forums lol, oil tires and indicator fluid ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts