Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing my R&G Tail Tidy today, and I am stuck on step 3...remove the 7 push rivets that connect the underside plastic of the tail.

3 of those yo can see from the storage compartment, and I pounded them out with a punch. The last 4 are very obscured by the sub frame, and gentle prying with a screw driver looks like I will break them before removing them.
Whats the technique guys?

Ive busted plastic fasteners before, I dont want to do that on my baby

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
NEVERMIND

I figured it out...you just push the center of the head in, and then the whole thing can pull out.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes...in fact, on Twisted Throttle's website they recommended that you get the $12.00 adapter kit for R&G....it is not needed at all. The plate fits fine, albeit right at the edge of the slotted holes.
Took me about 1 hr to install, and I didnt even have a proper bench and kept running inside for tools.

I didn't need to shorten any wires, I just bundled them and stuffed them neatly in the 'trunk'. Also, the stock lights fit good, although I will replace with my new protons when they arrive. I'll go take pics

my phone's camera sux

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also...I wouldn't be surprised if I have 5 lbs of crap removed from the bike, the R&G bracket is pretty small, like 1 lb maybe?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Yes...in fact, on Twisted Throttle's website they recommended that you get the $12.00 adapter kit for R&G....it is not needed at all. The plate fits fine, albeit right at the edge of the slotted holes.
Took me about 1 hr to install, and I didnt even have a proper bench and kept running inside for tools.

I didn't need to shorten any wires, I just bundled them and stuffed them neatly in the 'trunk'. Also, the stock lights fit good, although I will replace with my new protons when they arrive. I'll go take pics

my phone's camera sux
Go to the hardware store and get some rubber chair end caps because you will loose the key cover. I put some silicone on the inside rim of the plug. It fit loose after removing it a couple of times.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I am installing my R&G Tail Tidy today, and I am stuck on step 3...remove the 7 push rivets that connect the underside plastic of the tail.

3 of those yo can see from the storage compartment, and I pounded them out with a punch. The last 4 are very obscured by the sub frame, and gentle prying with a screw driver looks like I will break them before removing them.
Whats the technique guys?

Ive busted plastic fasteners before, I dont want to do that on my baby
This was the first time I've had experience with "push pins" as they referred to them in the instructions. To remove them, just push with a screw driver on the center pin part. It doesn't take much force and when you hear a slight click, the pin will just fall out. To install, make sure the pin extends above the head about a 1/4". Insert the pin in the hole, and push on the center pin until it clicks and you're done. I don't remember if I pushed the pin backwards or pulled it all the way out and started over. I think it was the former since the outer part can easily be spread while it is in your hand. This is truly a ingenious design in my opinion.

EdVR

·
Registered
192 Posts
Old thread need to come back alive since I just got my kit and stuck on the wires hanging holding the blinkers and the lic plat ligh connector, do I need to splice? The instructions it came with are very sorry and un detailed.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wouldn't splice... I would use the bigass OEM tail light hardware. I used the connectors from the crap plastic extra bigass plastic dropdrown for my connect... so I cut up the hardware from the drop down extension and those orange blobs called blinkers to make my lights and taillight work. I never cut anything that was close to the body/wire harness of bike. :) so splice and dice from the connect outside of the bike. I used the outside connectors to reconnect to the bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I wouldn't splice... I would use the bigass OEM tail light hardware. I used the connectors from the crap plastic extra bigass plastic dropdrown for my connect... so I cut up the hardware from the drop down extension and those orange blobs called blinkers to make my lights and taillight work. I never cut anything that was close to the body/wire harness of bike. :) so splice and dice from the connect outside of the bike. I used the outside connectors to reconnect to the bike.

Got it, man I was gon F up my brand new bike wiring until you wrote that post, that said now that I'm using this kit, does that eliminate the use of that part that covers the seat lock?

2 hrs later and I'm not even close, I'm glad I'm off tomorrow.

·
Banned
739 Posts
Just got mine, reading through the instructions first. They're written in British. Spanner, WTF is that? Oh, they mean an open-end wrench. Who knows what other slang I'm going to find...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have the same R&G Tail Tidy, to keep the rubber key cap in place. I used a couple black tie wraps to hold it in place. One around the rubber cap & one through the first tie wrap which also wrapped around part of the tidy tail. It hasn't moved since I installed it.

They should have noted something like this in the install instructions, since the rubber cap is a loose fit over the lock.

Wire Auto part

If you do happen to lose the rubber key cap.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/6-fz-09-general-discussion/5362-seat-key-cover.html
I just went to the hardware store and bought a 20mm rubber stool leg foot. It slips over tight enough not to vibrate off, looks fine, has done about 3 or 4,000 ks and never fell off and the lock works good as new, I think it set me back 20c.

Reactions: kingsquid

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
She can clean all she wants, but stay away from my 09!!! :p

The one thing I did when mounting my license plate. I drilled a new set of holes in the license plate to mount it up a bit higher.

Edit, adding photo of plate moved up.
Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle accessories Tire

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
We just call them a "wrench" which typically is an "open end wrench" at one end and a "box wrench" at the other.
Tool Hand tool

It's becoming way less common to find a double ended open end wrench these days.
Tool Metalworking hand tool Wrench Hand tool Adjustable spanner

Most people in North America don't know what a spanner is, unless your tools look like this.
Antique tool Metalworking hand tool Tool Chisel

1 - 20 of 24 Posts