Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve decided that I want the type of frame slider that utilizes a cross-beam arrangement, and so the T-Rex and SW Motech are perfect examples. What I would like to know is how far they stick out from the bike, and so I would like to see if someone could give me a few measurements. For consistency and comparability could someone give me a measurement from the side cylinder/head of the engine to the outer most part of the plastic puck? A left side and right side would be helpful and of course the make of the slider. And if anyone has a different make of frame slider that uses a similar cross-beam arrangement, measurements and make would be appreciated too.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I’ve decided that I want the type of frame slider that utilizes a cross-beam arrangement, and so the T-Rex and SW Motech are perfect examples. What I would like to know is how far they stick out from the bike, and so I would like to see if someone could give me a few measurements. For consistency and comparability could someone give me a measurement from the side cylinder/head of the engine to the outer most part of the plastic puck? A left side and right side would be helpful and of course the make of the slider. And if anyone has a different make of frame slider that uses a similar cross-beam arrangement, measurements and make would be appreciated too.
I don't have any experience withe SW Motech but I do have a full T-Rex setup and I would guess that T-Rex is the widest, they are giant but I have to say I never even notice them anymore, except when I occasionally bang my shin on one.

Reactions: Complecs

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could you give me a quick left and right measurement, from the side of the cylinder wall....I would like to know which slider make has the widest dimension. (i.e. T-Rex, vs. SW, vs Puig, etc)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have a set of the SW-Motech installed on my 09, I'll try to measure them tonight.

Here is a link of a couple measurements on one side.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-...-sliders-measurements-directly-sales-mgr.html

I found they were easy to install and fit great, and I like the fit and finish, very good quality product.

I still recommend getting some lower engine case guards with any frame sliders you install. The lower engine cases stick out to far and no frame sliders will protect them from getting scratched up in a tip over.

Not a great picture, but it shows how far it sticks out on the right side.
SW-Motech.jpg

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I still recommend getting some lower engine case guards with any frame sliders you install
I have the OEM case sliders coming...thanks for the advice and look forward to the measurements. I'm curious as to how the SW compares to the T-Rex in terms of sticking out and so I want to have an apples to apples comparison...but that thread was interesting nonetheless.

I don't have any experience withe SW Motech but I do have a full T-Rex setup
Can you take a ruler and give me a left and right side measurement from the engine?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I will try and measure them up after work.

You can see here that the Yamaha case guards appear to work well. At first I thought they looked a bit cheap, but when I installed them they are made well. The Yamaha set has a hard rubber insert that fits between the guard and the case for a bit more added protection.

You can just see it here in this picture of an 09 engine for sale on ebay. By the looks of the pictures the Yamaha case guards did their job.

engine3.jpg

http://www.fz09.org/forum/32-yamaha-fz-09-guides-how-s/1478-changing-stator-crankcase-cover-2.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
SW-Motech
RH: 4-1/4" (measured from flat against exterior cylinder wall)
LH: 5-3/8" (there's a "V" on the side of the cylinder wall, I measured from the recessed center of the "V")

These measurements might not be EXACT, my tape measure is a piece of s***.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very helpful...thanks for doing that. Hopefully I can get a few more for point of reference...and some stats on the T-Rex and any others. I do like the looks of the SW's the best, but they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
They have the SW's at Motostarz.com for $178.13, which is the best price I have see, and when you compare them to others, they are not so bad. I am not sure how much the T-Rex set costs?

Aftermarket Performance Parts and Accessories for Yamaha FZ-09 / MT-09 2013, 2014, 2015 | Motostarz USA | Motostarz.com

SW-Motech Frame Sliders = $178.13
Evotech Frame Sliders = $386.70
R&G Aero Engine Frame Sliders = $370.49
Sato Racing Frame Sliders = $247.00

There are some good deals on a full T-Rex package off ebay, frame sliders, case guards, axle sliders for about $295. Just to a search on ebay for "yamaha fz-09 t-rex frame sliders" and it will be the first one to come up. It also looks like just the frame sliders are going for $120 on ebay.

I kind of like the SW-Motech version better, and they are heavy duty construction and look great, IMO that is, lol.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The T-Rex frame sliders are basically $110, from what I see.

Rocky, can you confirm the previous mentioned measurements? Still looking for the T-Rex data.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I am measuring my SW's at the following:

RH Side: 4-1/4"
LH Side: 5-1/4"

You can see how much they stick out here.

IMAG0198.jpg

As you can see the SW-Motech frame sliders have a thick aluminum plate behind the slider to strengthen the whole assembly.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Dale / Rocky,
Thank you both for taking the time to measure and respond. Also appreciate the photo...I really like that arrangement. Sure wish the price was somewhat lower...but again thanks. I do like they way they look on the bike.

Still looking for any data on the T-Rex so that I can compare.

·
Registered
185 Posts
4"5/8 measuring from right side of bike side of head to outside of slider

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks...looks like they provide the same coverage in terms of how wide they sit. I think I may bite the bullet and order the SW's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts