Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The T-Rex parts arrived today so I decided to go for it tonight. Installed the front and rear axle sliders first. Very easy to install and they seemed like good quality parts. There was a recent thread here on the FZ09 forum from Chuck that showed what happened to the sliders after contact with the pavement at 35 MPH. According to T-Rex these parts have been improved since that set he had was manufactured. The frame sliders are also easy to install however you have to pay close attention to the bolt length because there are 4 different length bolts that attach these huge plastic chunks to the frame/engine mount bolts. They have different left and right side spacers also. Not sure if I can live with these frame sliders however. They are just gross looking and cover up part of that beautiful engine! The upside is they stick out far enough to protect the radiator that is very exposed. The engine case sliders worked out OK but I was very nervous messing around with those engine case bolts. Strip one of those threaded holes and your screwed! The two existing lower case bolts on the left side were very tight coming out and I'm not sure why. On the right side case slider I noticed it dripped a bit of oil during installation. You have to remove 5 mount bolts on that right side magnesium cover. After tightening all the bolts there was no more oil leak. Hope I didn't screw something up. I'll check in the morning for any sign of a leak in that engine case area. You can also see the orange anodized swing arm spools they threw in for free. 20140205_203412.jpg 20140205_203426.jpg 20140205_203444.jpg 20140205_203504.jpg 20140205_203538.jpg

I ordered the all black sliders and they are all black. The camera light make it appear the lettering FZ09 is white. It does not look white.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The case sliders have been redesigned to be almost twice as thick.I received mine two days ago and compared the thickness to the images on the T-Rex website.The increased thickness is very evident.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Received and installed my case covers today. As with OP the two lower bolts on the left side were tight coming out and going in. Bike was on the side stand when I did the work so my oil leakage occurred on the left side with both lower bolts. Only potential issue I noticed was that the rearmost bolt on the left side just pushes the spacer/sleeve out of the cover rather than snugging the whole thing up. See picture attached. I've e-mail T-Rex to ask if it is actually an issue or if that is as designed.

UPDATE: The guys at T-Rex are going to send me a washer to solve the problem. Doesn't seem that there is much room for a washer at that location but they said they tested it out so I expect it will work. Kudos for the quick CS.

IMG_20140207_125557.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Received and installed my case covers today. As with OP the two lower bolts on the left side were tight coming out and going in. Bike was on the side stand when I did the work so my oil leakage occurred on the left side with both lower bolts. Only potential issue I noticed was that the rearmost bolt on the left side just pushes the spacer/sleeve out of the cover rather than snugging the whole thing up. See picture attached. I've e-mail T-Rex to ask if it is actually an issue or if that is as designed.

UPDATE: The guys at T-Rex are going to send me a washer to solve the problem. Doesn't seem that there is much room for a washer at that location but they said they tested it out so I expect it will work. Kudos for the quick CS.

View attachment 2471
Hmmmm. Just looked at mine and it is identical to what you show in your picture. Although it seems to be rock-solid. Yours isn't? It doesn't really seem like it could pull the case protector in anymore anyway since the other 3 bolts are snugged-up tightly and the case protector certainly isn't flexible. You've got me worried now though... It doesn't take much!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My left side lower case slider installation looks indentical to yours. There is a metal spacer that was attached to the slider at this bolt location you refer to. Mine does not push the spacer out but tightens down all the way. That metal spacer is pushing against the case. Are you sure you have the right bolt in that hole? Here is my picture. 20140207_192629.jpg

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The case sliders have been redesigned to be almost twice as thick.I received mine two days ago and compared the thickness to the images on the T-Rex website.The increased thickness is very evident.
Yeah T-rex made some improvements after they saw the results of a crash. Did you install yours yet?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Lower case screws hard to turn likely because of Loctite and thread hole may be part of an oil gallery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It appears totally solid even as it is now. I would say the pic from orangeblaze shows the same thing I am looking at. That necked down part of the metal spacer will actually push all the way into the slider so his is slid out a bit as well. Whether or not that matters is arguable and if T-Rex would have said it was by design I would have accepted that. I'll take a look at how it will tighten down with the washer they send and decide whether to go with or without.

I definitely wouldn't recommend doing this with the engine warm. It was around 20*F when i did the work and lost a few tablespoons of oil. If the engine were warmed up I surely would have had a bigger mess to deal with. Another option would be to change the right side while on the stand and find a way to lean the bike the other way when doing the left side. My garage is used to the taste of motor oil.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I installed both case protectors while the bike was on a front & rear stand. Only lost a few drops of oil on the right side. Nothing on the left.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just wanted to close the loop on my situation. A small washer arrived from T-Rex today and you can see the result in the photo below. Compared to my previous photo you can see that the necked down part of the spacer is no longer visible and the bolt head is now visible on the outside of the cover.

IMG_20140213_143706.jpg

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I'm writing TRex right new...

Something is amiss with my kit.

The spacer on the right side of the swingarm, won't fit inside the axle. The left front spacer doesn't mate to anything besides the lower fork casting??? WTF?

I'm not marring up my forks, just to install sliders to protect my forks.

Not impressed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't recall the swingarm slider mounts actually going inside the axle. I used OES fork sliders so can't comment there.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The spacers on the rear are stepped, the left fits inside perfectly, the right is like 1mm too large and fits just inside the chamfer, creating a terrible mating surface, I cannot fathom it being engineered that way, the front, is the same. The right side fits perfectly inside the hex of the axle, the left side is recessed in the middle, and a thin outer edge of the spacer actually contacts the fork leg itself, about a 1" diameter, around the axle, cutting into the powder coat.

Obviously I test fit it, didn't tighten, or I'd have gouged my fork...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah it does seem a bit funky. I sent them an e-mail just now and attached my picture. They got back to me pretty quickly when I e-mailed about my case slider issue, but I think that was earlier in the day.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No spacers mount inside the axles. The soacers are different sizes and very specific for left and right.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The picture posted above looks exactly like mine. The axle slider is like a plastic cap that threads on that piece you mounted.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts